Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Poll for keggers

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Force or Prime? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Carb type

1. Force (73 votes [96.05%])

Percentage of vote: 96.05%

2. Priming Sugar (3 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:04 PM

I use the CO2 although I do it the slow and gentle way, no shaking the keg or anything like that.

+1 no shake and tickle for me

#62 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

The problem I had with force carbonating was if I didn't have time to let the keg sit a week in cold storage keeping it pressured up to carbonate. I was shaking it to carbonate it faster ending up with cloudy beer from the muck being shaken back into suspension. Effecting the clarity and taste for a few days till it settled out again. Priming with sugar it's carbonated to the level I want, all I have to do is set it in the frig and let it chill. Tap it. Pour till clear about a pint. Even with cold and slow carbonating I still have to pour till clear, again about a pint. I use my kegs as secondary, after the beer has set in the primary for 2 weeks. All my beer sit at least 2 months in kegs before being put in the kegerator. Though not to style I don't mind my Wheats and Ryes pouring clear.

#63 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:49 PM

The problem I had with force carbonating was if I didn't have time to let the keg sit a week in cold storage keeping it pressured up to carbonate. I was shaking it to carbonate it faster ending up with cloudy beer from the muck being shaken back into suspension. Effecting the clarity and taste for a few days till it settled out again. Priming with sugar it's carbonated to the level I want, all I have to do is set it in the frig and let it chill. Tap it. Pour till clear about a pint. Even with cold and slow carbonating I still have to pour till clear, again about a pint. I use my kegs as secondary, after the beer has set in the primary for 2 weeks. All my beer sit at least 2 months in kegs before being put in the kegerator. Though not to style I don't mind my Wheats and Ryes pouring clear.

One technique I use is to transfer the beer out of a keg if it's been sitting in it for a long time. I do this without moving the keg before transfer. I had an Amber Ale aging for 4 months in my chest freezer, so I prepped a keg with a SureScreen, tossed some Centennial hops in the keg, purged and then just racked directly from the keg in the chest freezer without ever touching it, then I put the beer on gas. I'm not shaking this keg though, it's been sitting in my chest freezer for about 2 weeks now, should be ready for tapping soon, but it illustrates the process. One benefit was that the keg sure was a lot easier to remove from the chest freezer than a full one.

#64 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

One technique I use is to transfer the beer out of a keg if it's been sitting in it for a long time. I do this without moving the keg before transfer. I had an Amber Ale aging for 4 months in my chest freezer, so I prepped a keg with a SureScreen, tossed some Centennial hops in the keg, purged and then just racked directly from the keg in the chest freezer without ever touching it, then I put the beer on gas. I'm not shaking this keg though, it's been sitting in my chest freezer for about 2 weeks now, should be ready for tapping soon, but it illustrates the process. One benefit was that the keg sure was a lot easier to remove from the chest freezer than a full one.

Why does this thread keep making its way back to the top when the last post was LAST NIGHT!!!!

#65 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

Why does this thread keep making its way back to the top when the last post was LAST NIGHT!!!!

It's not just this thread, it's happening to a bunch of them and has been happening a lot this week...https://www.brews-br...hp?showtopic=94

#66 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

:smilielol: It did it again! I didn't realize I created a problem here with this question! lol

#67 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:43 PM

FYI, Keith is going to look into it. There are at least 3 threads doing it: this one, the ale/lager thread and the dispensing temp. thread.

#68 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

FYI, Keith is going to look into it. There are at least 3 threads doing it: this one, the ale/lager thread and the dispensing temp. thread.

Common denominator on those 3 is they are all threads with polls. I'm sure you notice that already, but thought I would point it out. :smilielol:

#69 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:55 PM

Common denominator on those 3 is they are all threads with polls. I'm sure you notice that already, but thought I would point it out. :smilielol:

Ding! There is a setting that controls whether a vote in the poll will bump the thread or not. Let's try something....

#70 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:01 PM

Ding! There is a setting that controls whether a vote in the poll will bump the thread or not. Let's try something....

I think that was it. I just voted on the dispensing temp poll and it shot it to the top without me putting a comment in the thread.Whoa, there is my contribution to the community!! :smilielol:

#71 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

I think that was it. I just voted on the dispensing temp poll and it shot it to the top without me putting a comment in the thread.Whoa, there is my contribution to the community!! :smilielol:

It was set to Yes for the Beer Forum so I changed it. Hopefully that fixes it.

#72 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

force carbers are pwning the primers! Woo Woo!!!

#73 lbagley6090

lbagley6090

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

Except for the fewer trips the better, I disagree with everything you say :D I find it far easier to dial-in my carbonation with force carbonation rather than priming; in fact that might be the biggest advantage to me, the degree of control I get over carbonation. A carbonated keg can sit around just as easily if it was forced, primed or naturally carbonated. Shaking is only necessary if you want to carbonate overnight, which is something that can never be done with priming, but it isn't necessary to do either; you can just wait on it like you do priming.

Agreed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users