483 replies to this topic

#441 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54101 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:16 PM

Have you been using both crystals lately?

No. It's usually 1 pound of C60. I could have just used 10-12 ounces of C60 or whatever but decided to do it like this. What's the worst that could happen? :P

#442 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:21 PM

Interested in a trade when it's ready? I'm going to make some MLPA soon enough. I only have so much fridge space though (8+1 regular 15.5 gallon kegs - so 4 batches worth at a time). I have 4 going in pretty soon and room for 6 right now. 2 more will be taken up by the IPA or Pilsner. I'll probably be able to brew one more beer before the keys. Then I have to wait a little while unless we get the lease we're working on. Then it's game on since I have more fridges in storage.

#443 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54101 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:37 PM

My friend, I will make this beer, get it on tap and send you a couple more fancy 750s so you can try it. I have no idea how long it will be before it's ready to go but I will keep you posted. Tell you what, I'll send you beer and you cough up the Stanley Cup to the Blackhawks. :D :P

#444 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:12 PM

One day I will get back to this beer. Every time I brew it something seems to go wrong. It is my Eleanor!

#445 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54101 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

I think the tweaks I made would make it easier to brew... unless you just had some unfortunate issue each time you made it (contamination, diaper in the primary, etc. :D). The tweaks bring it away from the edge of "too malty", etc. so that it should come out nicely. We'll see. Looks now like Friday night or Saturday afternoon.

#446 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:49 PM

I think the tweaks I made would make it easier to brew... unless you just had some unfortunate issue each time you made it (contamination, diaper in the primary, etc. :D). The tweaks bring it away from the edge of "too malty", etc. so that it should come out nicely. We'll see. Looks now like Friday night or Saturday afternoon.

My issues were contamination, yeast that did not start and a temp control issue. I can brew it fine I just can't finish it.

#447 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54101 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:54 PM

My issues were contamination, yeast that did not start and a temp control issue. I can brew it fine I just can't finish it.

Lulz. I think you and Rich were separated at birth because he has had the same issues. Try it again... I swear it will be good! :D

#448 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:08 PM

I like the Blackhawks wager.

#449 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

I still have never made this :D

#450 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16654 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:37 PM

This week I'm making a tweaked version of MLPA. When I remember batches of MLPA that I used to make years ago, I didn't futz with the water as I do now. That tells me that I had slightly more sulfate (27) than I had chloride (21) and those were some very good batches of this beer. Also, years ago I probably used Briess, Rahr, Canada Malting or Great Western 2-row for the base malt. I have been using Rahr Pale Ale malt lately which has a bit more color and depth to it and it may have made a difference in the overall character of the beer. So I'm pushing the beer slightly towards "less malt" and "more crisp" and also towards a more pale color, just slightly. I have the water and grains ready for this so it's just a matter of whether it will be this week or over the weekend. Slightly Adjusted MLPA 7.25 lbs Rahr Pale Ale Malt 1.00 lbs White Wheat 6 ounces Crystal 60°L 6 ounces Crystal 40°L 1 oz Mt. Hood pellets at 5.5% for 60 *plus* .1 ounces of Hallertau pellets 3.2% (about 5.9 AAU / 25 IBUs total) Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast OG: 1.050, FG: 1.012, IBU: 25, SRM: 8, ABV: 4.8% Mash temp will still be around 150° and there will be 1.3g of gypsum and 1.7g of CaCl added which gives me 51ppm of SO4 and 48ppm of Cl. Should be slightly crisper and a little lighter in color. Cheers.

This seems closer to what I would call an American Mild than what Denny was coming up with.

#451 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54101 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:54 AM

This seems closer to what I would call an American Mild than what Denny was coming up with.

I have never been sure what to call this. I used to call it an "amber", just using that term generically. Pale Ale is probably not right because the hops are too low. I never considered calling it an American Mild because I'm not sure what that is. :P

#452 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:39 AM

American mild does sound about right actually.

#453 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

Other American Milds I've had have been closer to 1.040ish OG.

#454 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16654 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:32 PM

Other American Milds I've had have been closer to 1.040ish OG.

I've never had an "American" one. I'm no historian but my understanding was that Mild in the UK was historically not necessarily low abv and that some still aren't. That the "mild" in Mild came from the lack of hop presence to differentiate it from bitter. Ken's beer seemed to fit that bill with American hops, American yeast, and American pale ale malt.

#455 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54101 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:16 PM

There was a conversion awhile back that included "American Pub Ale". Maybe that's a better fit... although I don't think it's an actual style. Is "American Mild" a style? Anyway, I'm a little over halfway through the brewday and things are going very smoothly. Cheers.

#456 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

There was a conversion awhile back that included "American Pub Ale". Maybe that's a better fit... although I don't think it's an actual style. Is "American Mild" a style? Anyway, I'm a little over halfway through the brewday and things are going very smoothly. Cheers.

American Mild bueno, Session IPA no bueno

#457 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16654 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

American Mild bueno, Session IPA no bueno

:spray:

#458 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:15 PM

:spray:

:)

#459 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:20 PM

I've never had an "American" one. I'm no historian but my understanding was that Mild in the UK was historically not necessarily low abv and that some still aren't. That the "mild" in Mild came from the lack of hop presence to differentiate it from bitter. Ken's beer seemed to fit that bill with American hops, American yeast, and American pale ale malt.

Yes, historical Milds from 100+ years ago were quite strong.

#460 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:22 AM

American Pub Ale?

Yes, historical Milds from 100+ years ago were quite strong.

it was a term describing Bittering, not alcohol IIRC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users