#421 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Hopefully you guys can help me out with this. I accidentally picked up a pound of gelatinized unmalted wheat for this recipe. I am brewing tonight and not able to correct this mistake. Will this make a huge difference from malted wheat?

doubtful

#422 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54088 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

It sounds like it will be fine although I don't have a lot of experience with it. I just read some stuff suggesting that unmalted wheat needs to be boiled so it will gelatinize but yours is already gelatinized so you shouldn't have to worry about that. So what is the difference between malted and unmalted wheat? Are we talking about a difference in fermentables? We're talking about a small percentage of the grain bill so my suggestion would be to go ahead with it and if you're concerned in any way, just increase the base malt, use flaked wheat or flaked barley, carapils or carafoam or something along those lines. Cheers.

#423 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

It sounds like it will be fine although I don't have a lot of experience with it. I just read some stuff suggesting that unmalted wheat needs to be boiled so it will gelatinize but yours is already gelatinized so you shouldn't have to worry about that. So what is the difference between malted and unmalted wheat? Are we talking about a difference in fermentables? We're talking about a small percentage of the grain bill so my suggestion would be to go ahead with it and if you're concerned in any way, just increase the base malt, use flaked wheat or flaked barley, carapils or carafoam or something along those lines. Cheers.

I think he's talking about flaked wheat actually

#424 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54088 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Flaked wheat would be fine, AFAIK.

#425 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

It is flaked by the way. Thanks for the help guys. Love my weeknight brew sessions. :cheers:

#426 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

This is one outstanding beer. dan

#427 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54088 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

This is my underhanded way of getting homebrewers away from Imperial this, bourbon barrel that, giant Belgians, ultra hoppy IIPAs, etc. If you can make this beer properly and enjoy it... my plan is working. :lol:

#428 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

This is my underhanded way of getting homebrewers away from Imperial this, bourbon barrel that, giant Belgians, ultra hoppy IIPAs, etc. If you can make this beer properly and enjoy it... my plan is working. :lol:

Three weeks ago I brewed a 3.5% beer that was fantastic. I think I had a leak in my keg because it only lasted a few days B)

#429 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

Three weeks ago I brewed a 3.5% beer that was fantastic. I think I had a leak in my keg because it only lasted a few days B)

as an added bonus you get more batches out of a sack of malt too :frank:

#430 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54088 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Of course we all live by the popular homebrewing mantra "Brew What You Like!" but in case anyone ever wants an easy-drinker, I'll be here minding the store. :P

#431 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

This is up on deck for tomorrow! Brewing as is except for two small changes: I'm using US-05 as I'm not doing much with liquid yeasts right now and I'm going to FWH the oz of Mt. Hood as I am in love with the hop character I'm getting from FWH a small addition in simple recipes these days. Can't wait to have MLPA on tap again. Two friends of mine just did a double batch of this today back to back with a double batch of popcorn cream ale. :cheers:

#432 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54088 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

Nice. I was up at the Cubs-Brewers game in Milwaukee over the weekend where the homebrewers were tailgating before the game and I brought a keg of MLPA with me. That keg was pretty much hosed so now I have to make it again! Cheers my friend & good to see you back here.

#433 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Good to be back Ken, thanks for the (re)welcome! This stuff doesn't stick around for very long. This was my 7th time making this beer! Brew store was short on wheat when I made the recipe so I subbed in flaked barley for the wheat. In the past I've used flaked instead of wheat and ended up with a much creamier mouthfeel. I'll post some tasting notes once this goes on tap. I think I broke my record for brew day yesterday, mashed in at 5:00 pm and was cleaned up and sitting down do a lamb roast I tossed in the oven earlier on by 8:00 pm with everything cleaned up. I went back through my brew book and forgot I had been getting great success with 40 minute mash, 40 minute boil. Worked like a charm this time and now there's a healthy krausen on top of my next MLPA sitting tight at 67 df. :cheers:

#434 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

welcome back!

#435 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54088 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

As a point of reference, my latest batch of MLPA is currently on tap (what's left of it after taking it to Miller Park for the annual homebrewer's tailgate) and this would be the first time making it with what I consider to be the proper water. This batch came out very nicely and I diluted my source water 25% with distilled and used 5.3AAU of Mt. Hood at 60 minutes. I mashed at 151.6° for 60 minutes with 4 gallons (1 of which was distilled) and then sparged with 4 gallons (also 25% distilled). I added 1.4g of CaSO4 and 1.5g of CaCl to the mash. I made sure the mash and sparge pH were good and these were the final water numbers... Ca 50, Mg 9, Na 10, Cl 40, SO4 46, CaCO3 85. I was also very careful (as always) to keep the primary temps cool... like low 60s to keep a clean-tasting profile. There's probably a sixer of beer left in this keg so I'm making MLPA again on Sunday with all the same numbers. Cheers.

#436 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

Brewed 10 gallons of this last night and hit everything right on the nose.  I did have to alter the hops as the Mt. Hood's that I had one hand only came in at 3.6% AAU.  Two ounces of hops at these AAU's in 10 gallons of wort would have put me in the high teen's from an IBU standpoint.  So I went with some Columbus I had that got me to 31 IBU's.  I like a little more bitter version of MLPA.  My 10 gallon recipe from last night is below:

OG: 1.048

FG: 1.011

IBU: 31

SRM: 11

ABV: 4.8%

16.5 lbs - 2-Row Malt

2 lbs. - 60L Malt

1.5 lbs. - White Wheat Malt

1.5 ozs - Columbus (14.1% at 60 mins)

US05

Mashed at 152 deg

Fermenting at 68 deg

Cheers!

Edited by chadm75, 20 June 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#437 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

I have ten gallons of this fermenting right now. I brew this beer probably 6X a year. It's a crowd pleaser. 

#438 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

Brewed a hoppy steamin' version of the MLPA today. 

https://bullybrew.tu...-of-my-favorite

Looking forward to see how it turns out.

#439 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54088 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:28 PM

This week I'm making a tweaked version of MLPA.  When I remember batches of MLPA that I used to make years ago, I didn't futz with the water as I do now.  That tells me that I had slightly more sulfate (27) than I had chloride (21) and those were some very good batches of this beer.  Also, years ago I probably used Briess, Rahr, Canada Malting or Great Western 2-row for the base malt.  I have been using Rahr Pale Ale malt lately which has a bit more color and depth to it and it may have made a difference in the overall character of the beer.  So I'm pushing the beer slightly towards "less malt" and "more crisp" and also towards a more pale color, just slightly.  I have the water and grains ready for this so it's just a matter of whether it will be this week or over the weekend.

Slightly Adjusted MLPA

7.25 lbs Rahr Pale Ale Malt

1.00 lbs White Wheat

6 ounces Crystal 60°L

6 ounces Crystal 40°L

1 oz Mt. Hood pellets at 5.5% for 60 *plus* .1 ounces of Hallertau pellets 3.2% (about 5.9 AAU / 25 IBUs total)

Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.012, IBU: 25, SRM: 8, ABV: 4.8%

Mash temp will still be around 150° and there will be 1.3g of gypsum and 1.7g of CaCl added which gives me 51ppm of SO4 and 48ppm of Cl.  Should be slightly crisper and a little lighter in color.  Cheers.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 02 June 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#440 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

Have you been using both crystals lately?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users