61 replies to this topic

#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18093 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:16 AM

Matlab > Labview :P I kid (mostly) - wish I could see the plots. I'll have to check them out when I get home.

No plots up yet!I hate(d) Matlab. Of course, I have not used any of them for 1o+ years since I left school.

#42 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:44 AM

I forget the class I was in, but I had never even heard of labview in one of my senior courses and we were expected just to be able to use it. What a pain in the ass. But, for a brewery I could see labview being a really good visual control tool. If I were to start a nano brewery that needed some automation, I might consider using it.JoelR, how many batches have you used this RIMS on? Have you noticed an improvement in taste of the beer over just doing a regular mash in a cooler? In my mind using this in conjunction with a cooler seems a bit overkill, but something like that would be really useful in a larger 1/2 - 1 bbl system where using an insulated MLT is much too cost prohibitive.Cheers,Rich

#43 JoelR

JoelR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

I forget the class I was in, but I had never even heard of labview in one of my senior courses and we were expected just to be able to use it. What a pain in the ass. But, for a brewery I could see labview being a really good visual control tool. If I were to start a nano brewery that needed some automation, I might consider using it.JoelR, how many batches have you used this RIMS on? Have you noticed an improvement in taste of the beer over just doing a regular mash in a cooler? In my mind using this in conjunction with a cooler seems a bit overkill, but something like that would be really useful in a larger 1/2 - 1 bbl system where using an insulated MLT is much too cost prohibitive.Cheers,Rich

I have done three batches, tomorrow I will be starting the fourth. Not enough samples to discuss repeatability/quality. I will be using a PID longterm, I use this setup to have some CS students do something practical with Labview, and play with the mems sensor.I would insulate the mashtun as much as possible, since it will reduce the power requirements to keep the mash at temp. The speed of the ramp does require raw power in the heating elements. We will collect the data tomorrow. Joel

#44 JoelR

JoelR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:46 AM

Here is the latest run of the system... Start of the mashPosted Image

#45 JoelR

JoelR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

Here is the complete run.Posted ImageThe rise rate dropped by half (full rate recirculation, and 5 gallons water in the mash).I will duplicate once I have the PID and new sensor installed. Joel

#46 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

So if I am reading that right, you used the rims to heat the mash water and simultaneously heated more water in a HLT, added the two together and doughed in, then used the rims to hold the temp?That was a long mash procedure, over 3 hours.Cheers,Rich

#47 JoelR

JoelR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

So if I am reading that right, you used the rims to heat the mash water and simultaneously heated more water in a HLT, added the two together and doughed in, then used the rims to hold the temp?That was a long mash procedure, over 3 hours.Cheers,Rich

Yes, RIMS used to hold temp. 90min mash was called for (Abbey of Lefte Ale). We used the RIMS to mash out, normally I would infuse to raise the temp.

#48 JoelR

JoelR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

Here is the final build.Posted ImageUsage Notes:1) 9.5 lbs grain with 1.5 qt/lb can be heated at 1 degree/min2) I introduced a bubble at mashout (I batch sparge). Temp in the heater rose rapidly (maxed at 170 degrees at pipe exit), once I got rid of the bubble (diverted to the dump position for a second), the temp dropped back to below target within 30 seconds.

#49 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

Damn geeks Posted Image . Nice rig Joel. *wishes he hadn't dropped out of PU*Posted Image Beach

#50 JoelR

JoelR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

Damn geeks Posted Image . Nice rig Joel. *wishes he hadn't dropped out of PU*Posted Image Beach

Thanks. We are thinking of induction based heating on the next go round. An iron pipe, with a stainless steel sleeve inside. The induction coil will heat the iron sleeve and transfer the heat to the stainless steel pipe. Have to do the numbers on the coefficient of expansion. The heat tape seems to work fine, so I need to finish the automated-metered HLT.Joel

#51 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

If you're going the induction route - why not just use straight stainless? There is some magnetic stainless, so it should work with induction...*thinks about taking apart the portable induction stove not really being used at the moment*

#52 JoelR

JoelR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

If you're going the induction route - why not just use straight stainless? There is some magnetic stainless, so it should work with induction...*thinks about taking apart the portable induction stove not really being used at the moment*

Yes. I need to do the comparison of using stainless (only) or using the sleeve inside of an iron pipe, and look at the cost/performance difference.

#53 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18093 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:45 AM

Just ordered the heat tape and insulation to give this a try. I am just going with copper pipe because I have this on hand.

#54 JoelR

JoelR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

Just ordered the heat tape and insulation to give this a try. I am just going with copper pipe because I have this on hand.

Great. The copper should work fine. I would stick with 1/2 inch ID copper pipe (or smaller). I did 2, 18 inch long sections, each wrapped with heat tape and insulation. Tees with caps on each end for clean out. The copper stays bright, so I have yet to scrub it, I just circulate a bit of cleaner though the system after it cools prior to storage.Joel

#55 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18093 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:48 PM

Great. The copper should work fine. I would stick with 1/2 inch ID copper pipe (or smaller). I did 2, 18 inch long sections, each wrapped with heat tape and insulation. Tees with caps on each end for clean out. The copper stays bright, so I have yet to scrub it, I just circulate a bit of cleaner though the system after it cools prior to storage.Joel

1/2 is my plan. I already have in and out ends from my HERMS so I will just re-use those. They are SS tees where one is set up with a thermocouple and the other with an air valve so I can completely blow out the tube. I hope to get this set up and tested this weekend. I will post back with some pictures and a report on how it worked.

#56 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18093 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:13 AM

Got around to building and insulating this over the week. Decided to give it a shot of Sunday brewing. No plots or anything but it worked fine for me to keep my mach temps in check. Plan on a few brews during the long weekend so I hope to collect some data wiht the pump output at at 100% and then throttled back to 50% to see if there is a huge change in rate of temperature change. I typiccaly would run my HERMS at 50% but with this I was running at 100% open.

#57 JoelR

JoelR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

Got around to building and insulating this over the week. Decided to give it a shot of Sunday brewing. No plots or anything but it worked fine for me to keep my mach temps in check. Plan on a few brews during the long weekend so I hope to collect some data wiht the pump output at at 100% and then throttled back to 50% to see if there is a huge change in rate of temperature change. I typiccaly would run my HERMS at 50% but with this I was running at 100% open.

This is good the hear. How many heat tapes did you use? How much water did you circulate?Joel

#58 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18093 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

This is good the hear. How many heat tapes did you use? How much water did you circulate?Joel

I just did a small 5g batch so my strike water was only 3 gallons. I will be doing a couple 10 gallon batches this weekend to really test it out. I used one- 8 foot heat tape. If I decided I want it to heat quicker I can easily modify it for a second. I think for me, adjusting flow rate will give me the flexibility I need.

#59 JoelR

JoelR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

Ran a ten gallon batch using the Heat Tape approach for a test of a real ale in a bag, still working great. Was able to ramp up to mash out, total process was a little under two hours, started the ramp to mash out after 1 hour of starch conversion.

#60 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18093 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

I ended up going with a RIMS tube instead. The ramp rate was just not enough for my liking. Glad it is still working out for you. I may wrap the RIMS tube with the heat tape though for a little faster rise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users