#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64110 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

When I first heard this commercial I was laughing too hard to pay attention, then when I listened to the whole thing, one line stands out to me:

We use a unique process where we add the hops three times instead of only once.

Is it even legal to say that adding hops three times is a "unique" process? That's a flat out lie. I'd guess pretty much every brewery out there makes a beer that they add hops three times. There's nothing unique about it. It's kind of like an ad for a Corvette saying they use a unique engine with 8 cylinders, instead of 6 or 4.

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

write them a letter...i would love to hear a response

#3 NomNomHopzinator

NomNomHopzinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

God I hate these commercials. Maybe it is unique to the BMC folk because they didn't even know hops were in the beer. For some reason this commercial makes me feel slightly stupider every time I see it. Buds drinkability campaign is starting to offend me as well. It is like they are trying to trick the BMC crowd into thinking they are beer snobs. I like Coors...at least they focus on their totally sweet can technology and seem to accept that their beer sucks... :cheers: . Wonder what innovative process PBR will come up with...dry hopping?

#4 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

And all this time I've been adding hops a third time for aroma...instead of "locking in" anything! All that character has just been floating around randomly, I need to talk to our QC guys at Schlafly and look into this unique hopping technique.

#5 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

God I hate these commercials. Maybe it is unique to the BMC folk because they didn't even know hops were in the beer. For some reason this commercial makes me feel slightly stupider every time I see it. Buds drinkability campaign is starting to offend me as well. It is like they are trying to trick the BMC crowd into thinking they are beer snobs. I like Coors...at least they focus on their totally sweet can technology and seem to accept that their beer sucks... :cheers: . Wonder what innovative process PBR will come up with...dry hopping?

That drinkability crap is as bad as that Rally's slogan from a few years back "You gotta eat!". These are the most convincing arguments you can come up with?"Our product is less viscous that warm tar...it has drinkability!""Our food is so...well...you have to eat to stay alive and we sell 'food'."Do they really mean drinkability? How about poundability?

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:13 PM

It's kind of like an ad for a Corvette saying they use a unique engine with 8 cylinders, instead of 6 or 4.

I think an 8 cylinder engine could have a unique design.... But that is aside from the point.

#7 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

write them a letter...i would love to hear a response

Not a bad idea. I think you might get a response something like, it is unique for a major brewery to make three hop additions to a Standard American Lager.Unique may a relative enough term that they can get away with it.

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Hey I am surprised that any of the BMC makers even use hops. Can you taste them, hmm I sure can't if I remember. The sad thing with these commercials is that to the undeducated BMC drinker they are probably sitting there in awe saying wow thats cool, and gee thats great must be why it taste so great. Ha it makes me laugh BMC sucks any of the three if you ask me.

#9 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken they don't add actual hops in leaf or pellet form at all. They use hop extracts which are heavily modified versions of their original hop selves.

#10 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

PBR = Miller

Not a bad idea. I think you might get a response something like, it is unique for a major brewery to make three hop additions to a Standard American Lager.Unique may a relative enough term that they can get away with it.

then I would write a response letter and ask if it is three liquid hop additions

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

I thought I just read somewhere that Miller used hop extract, not whole hops or pellets? I'm a newb so I can't really tell about the validity of this, but it would seem bad to me if they added extract at 3 different times.Anyone been on a tour? Seen a hop addition at the brewery?

#12 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:33 PM

#13 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29314 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

PBR = Miller

Don't think so, Pabst is it's own company. They are contracted brewed by Miller but not part of SABMiller.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54173 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:51 PM

Maybe they say it's unique among breweries that make pale, light-colored, fizzy beer. When you think of all of the examples of this style, how many of them (Rolling Rock, Coors Light, Bud Light, Corona, Heineken, Keystone, Pabst, etc.) could be brewed by adding just one addition for the entire boil? I think that many of them could be brewed that way. None of this means a damn thing because how do you know how much is added at any of the intervals? I make beers that only have 1 hop addition and many beers like Oktobers, Helles, etc. are historically known for only having one hop addition. So is Miller saying that those beers (some of them brewed for 100s of years...) are brewed wrong? It's just a silly American marketing gig. Remember also that Miller had commercials that proclaimed, "Don't fruit the beer!" and then came out with a beer called Miller Chill which had lime in it. Pay no mind, my friend. Pay no mind.

#15 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

......... they add hops three times...... .

Haven't had one in a long time. Guess it probably has more alcohol in it now.

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64110 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

If I'm not mistaken they don't add actual hops in leaf or pellet form at all. They use hop extracts which are heavily modified versions of their original hop selves.

Can't speak for Miller, but AB uses whole leaf. They dump them in the kettle w/33 gallon trash barrels. I've been in the hop storage room at AB in NH...it's glorious.

#17 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

And all this time I've been adding hops a third time for aroma...instead of "locking in" anything! All that character has just been floating around randomly, I need to talk to our QC guys at Schlafly and look into this unique hopping technique.

Better be careful, they might have a patent on that brilliant idea. :cheers:

#18 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

The uniqueness comes from the proprietary chemically altered pre-isomerized and unskunkableized hop extract they use, I think.BrewBasser

#19 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

Don't think so, Pabst is it's own company. They are contracted brewed by Miller but not part of SABMiller.

No he is right. Miller bought out Pabst several years ago. I was living in Wisconsin at the time and I had to drive by both Miller and Pabst to get to my Uncle's house.

#20 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

.... unskunkableized hop extract............BrewBasser

Really? That would be cool. Not willing to go buy some and set it in the sun to find out though....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users