#21 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:58 AM

RIMS- Recirculating Infusion Mash systemHERMS- Heat Exchanger Recirculating Mash SystemHRRMS= ??EHERMS=??Just a thought. To make a Steinbier, could I just ditch the hot rocks and substitute an electric element in the recirc loop?I'd have to bypass it after caramelization is done.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:52 AM

RIMS- Recirculating Infusion Mash systemHERMS- Heat Exchanger Recirculating Mash SystemHRRMS= ??EHERMS=??Just a thought. To make a Steinbier, could I just ditch the hot rocks and substitute an electric element in the recirc loop?I'd have to bypass it after caramelization is done.

EHERMS - External Heat Exchanger Recirculating Mash System ?? Sounds good to me ... seeing that is how mine is set up...

#23 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

EHERMS=??Just a thought. To make a Steinbier, could I just ditch the hot rocks and substitute an electric element in the recirc loop?I'd have to bypass it after caramelization is done.

Electric HERMSI'm not sure one of those regular electric elements could get hot enough. IIRC, they're dropping in rocks heated to 700df or so. And the granite I got for trying this is still just sitting there......

Edited by dj in kc, 29 May 2009 - 07:24 AM.

#24 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

I use a poor man's RIMS. I mash in a converted keg with a full-width SABCO false bottom. This sits on a propane burner. When I want to vorlauf I use a March pump. And if I want to increase the mash temperature I turn on the propane burner while it's recirculating. I have a thermometer on the mash and one on the output of the pump so it doesn't get too hot. Even with single temp mashes I tend to heat the wort during the vorlauf for a little mash-out step.Works for me! :cheers:

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64111 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

HRRMS = mistyping of HERMS

#26 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for the replies, I looked at both systems originally, but settled for a RIMS very similar to the Sabco Brew Magic as being a lot easier to build and control and also more energy efficient. Using a PID temp controller that pulses power I have not had any issues with scorching in over 20 batches.I have made modifications more than once and started out with a 4kw element 220V running on 120V (equivalent to about 1570W), thus lower surface temps , but was not able to do step mashes at all. Temp control was excellent even in mid winter.I then changed to a 1500W 120V element and also changed to the BCS-460 PLC controller (part of the Beta last year) and can step at around a degree a minute which is plenty fine on 10 gallon batches. Temps are rock solid no matter what the origin is with the biggest overshoot I have seen being 1.7 deg - which happened during original testing and setting of variables.I control the temps using PID control on the PLC from a thermowell right on the MashTun output and also monitor the output from the Rims heating chamber (a 1 1/2" Copper pipe ). Temps were checked in the center of the mash tun using a lab thermometer for the first few batches and as they were so accurate I stopped doing this. The BCS also graphs all inputs and outputs, so I can see exactly what happened during the mash. What is important is that I typically only see about 5-7 deg differential on the RIMS chamber output when heat is hard on like for a step, so for a Mash temp of 152 - I can see about 159 on the RIMS heating output as I get to mash temp after a step, which is still well within std mash temps, that temps drops to 158 157 on the mash tun surface out the sparge manifold.The system has electrical interlocks built in , that heating cannot work at all unless the pump is switched on. I also have a current sensor on the pump power in case of pump drawing too much power (ie blocked or jammed).My complete system is hard copper piped and insulated, so the thermal soak and loss once circulation starts is minimal, I run the pump for about 3 minutes after mash in and then switch on the Controller . I have successfully done two stepped mashes (both had two steps) and I think it is #12 tomorrow with the new controller.As for rest of system, I use a 3 tier system that can work via gravity in emergencies, HLT is a keggle and propane fired direct (will be controlled later) and Kettle is also a keggle. Cooling is done using a CFC as well as immersion chiller using whirlpool methods. Both chillers can be switched to ice bath during summer, I typical cool to approx 90 deg on city water and then switch over to the pump and icebath. 12 Gallons cooled in about 20 -25 Minutes is typical.https://picasaweb.go...ZenzeleBrewery# for some pics- there are three folders of brewery pics

#27 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

I mash in a converted keg with a full-width SABCO false bottom. This sits on a propane burner. When I want to vorlauf I use a March pump. And if I want to increase the mash temperature I turn on the propane burner while it's recirculating.

This is exactly how my setup is. It's simple, super easy to use, and I have no plans to change it. I haven't had any issues with scorching at all, even when doing fairly quick temp raises.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users