#21 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:41 AM

I was originally planning on putting the AC unit on the breaker side of the walk-in. I am tearing down the wall entirely, so it will all be the same space in the garage.I was also hoping that a 10k or 12k btu AC unit would be sufficient.The other option is to do two entirely separate chambers (still one structure), each with its own air conditioner on a separate circuit and separate love controller. This would give me more flexibility and redundancy in case one AC unit went out on me. I would not do the fans and louvers if I went this route. This of course would be more expensive. I need to check my costs to see how workable this solution is.

#22 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:36 AM

It seems every body on the forums who has built a walkin or beer cave in the garage has had problems with icing due to humidity. But I think your savior may be the "bigger btu's the better" theory. Of course the more insulation and the tighter the box, the better off you will be. Which is where mine needs some attention.

#23 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

The plywood is on, and I have started organizing and putting things up. I also finished a side project with my RO system. I designed a way of collecting the waste water so I can use it for ice blocks or watering seeds, etc.I will be moving things over to the new shelf and table gradually, and then knock out the wall, and will be able to solidify plans for the walk-in cooler at that time.

#24 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:33 AM

I've been gradually putting things away. I should be ready to knock down the wall in a week or two.I also had my electrician friend come out and give me an idea of what would be needed, and costs. I wanted to put in 4 new 20 amp breakers to the box, wire routed to the new work table with one circuit, one for each of the air conditioners (I think I will have to go with one AC per side now), and then one circuit for interior lighting and power. All told, it looks to be right around 200 for the electrical supplies, which includes GFCI outlets and a 250' roll of wire.I plan on putting a light in each side with a switch, as well as an outlet. I want to be able to make my starters in the fermentation side, and I also plan on having a HEPA filter in the fermentation side to help cut down on any possible infections.Are there any issues I should be aware of having a light installed at refrigeration temperatures, or possibly even freezer temperatures? Same with an outlet. I was thinking that in the future, I may want to have one side be a freezer possibly, and want to build it so that I would be able to do that. That is why I want everything to be on GFCI, and a new breaker.I've also decided to use pressure treated lumber for everything. I compared the costs, and it shouldn't add too much for the peace of mind.

#25 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:11 AM

I dont see any issues with lights and outlets inside of the box. I haven't had any condensation issues where there is standing moisture. I say go for it. You will probably will need a split unit if you choose to go with a freezer portion someday. Those can be pricey.

#26 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:27 AM

Wow I didn't realize you had started construction already.So do have the "Beverage Fermentation and Aging Space Rental Form (the BFASRF)" form online yet? And what is my discount?

#27 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

Haha. I haven't started construction of the actual walk-in. Everything I've been doing is to clear the space for the walk-in, and with my organization skills, that is a lot to move. I am doing it gradually, trying to move things little by little every day, so hopefully in two weeks or so, I can knock down the wall and proceed from there.Renting space sounds like a great little side venture to help fund my brewing... blktre - you don't think that a window ac unit will be able to handle getting down to freezing temperatures? A split unit is definitely out of the scope of this project.

#28 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

blktre - you don't think that a window ac unit will be able to handle getting down to freezing temperatures? A split unit is definitely out of the scope of this project.

Mine cant. I'm not sure if I have ever heard of one doing it either.

#29 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

How low can yours go, or is yours only designed for fermentation temperatures?

#30 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

.................blktre - you don't think that a window ac unit will be able to handle getting down to freezing temperatures? A split unit is definitely out of the scope of this project.

I really doubt it too. I have no doubt mine would freeze up even in low humidity (winter) or simply fry itself from overwork.

#31 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

What size window AC units are you two using, what size room (blktre, you already said 6x8x8), and how did you insulate?

#32 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

What size window AC units are you two using, what size room (blktre, you already said 6x8x8), and how did you insulate?

I have a smaller unit. 5500Btu. I know yours is planned to be bigger. But your space is bigger too. I'm insulated as I described earlier in this thread. Mid 40's is where my unit is comfortable running at. I also know AC units are not designed to freeze.

#33 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

Mine's 4500 - 5000 btu I think.. Not a big chamber, maybe 4' x 4' x 2.5'.

#34 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

I am trying to draw out some plans in google's sketchup, but it is fairly cumbersome. Is there any free software out there that you all have used that you would recommend? I need to draw it out so I can have a better idea of what I will need. I have a friend in construction, and he can deliver materials to the house if I want, but I need to figure out exactly what I will need to make sure of it. This should also hopefully help me to visualize any modifications that I may need to make before I begin construction.Yes, things have been slow. I am still waiting to get the truck, so I haven't knocked down the wall yet even. Plus the sister in law is with us for a couple of months, and her stuff is where the cooler will be built, but I want to start construction soon, hopefully.I also need to find a good supplier for the window AC units. I'd like to get two 8k btu units if possible. Since it will soon be getting warmer, I may be able to find some at home depot or lowes, but it seems like it will be more expensive if I go that route. Suggestions?

#35 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:11 AM

Projects always take more time than anticipated. Life seems to get in the way sometimes. Anyways, Im no software guy. I just whip out my trusty old pen, paper, and measuring tape and get busy. I have found buying AC units at the end of the season is the cheapest alternative. Fwiw, you dont necessarily need to buy new. Keep an eye out on Craigslist or garage sales. I see them there alot around here, especially during warmer months.

#36 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

Two 8ks sounds like a bit much to me. Any reason you're going for that rather than a 12.5k? If it is well insulated and in the basement I'm not sure that one 5k or 8k couldn't keep up with the load.

#37 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

The reason for the two units is because I plan on setting both sides independently of each other. I intend on using one side always as the cold side, and the other as a fermentation side, but in case if something happens to the cold side, I want to be able to set the fermentation side to the exact same temperature without problems. This gives me the most flexibility with the walk-in cooler, at least it seems like it to me.The reason for the slightly higher btu rating for each unit is because I want them both to be able to keep the space in the mid 30's easily without having to run 24/7, but also not having issues with short-cycling, which I would manage with the love controller anyway. This is all roughly estimated in my head, based on other's experience on the boards and in my research, nothing scientific by any means. I just wanted it comfortably large enough that I wouldn't have to worry too much about it, but hopefully not too expensive.edit - and I'd like to stick with new units if at all possible. I know it will be more expensive, but I don't want to have to replace it sooner than needed, and I want to get matching units so once I modify one, I can do the same to the other.

Edited by gnef, 28 February 2011 - 03:37 PM.

#38 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Question:Per side: is getting one larger unit better than two smaller units?I am thinking a total of two of these:https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FRA086AT7-Compact-Window-Conditioner/dp/B003O970PW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1299465432&sr=8-6Or possibly going with four of these (two per room):https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FRA052XT7-Mini-Window-Conditioner/dp/B003F4TH6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299466286&sr=8-1The first option would give me 8000 btu per room to work with, whereas the second option would give me 10000 btu to work with. How is the efficiency of these units? Would it make sense for me to use two air conditioner units per room over one per room?

#39 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

I have since decided to keep things simple, and go with the single 8k btu unit per room. I found the wiring schematic here:https://manuals.frigidaire.com/prodinfo_pdf/Edison/202021190024.pdfMy electrician skills are nonexistent, so can someone let me know how easy this would be to modify to run off a love controller? I am about to buy two of these units, so I need to make sure I can set it up to work as I want before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

Edited by gnef, 07 March 2011 - 06:02 PM.

#40 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

I have since decided to keep things simple, and go with the single 8k btu unit per room. I found the wiring schematic here:https://manuals.frig...02021190024.pdfMy electrician skills are nonexistent, so can someone let me know how easy this would be to modify to run off a love controller? I am about to buy two of these units, so I need to make sure I can set it up to work as I want before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

Does the unit have a LED or Analog internal temp controller?Looks like a LED which I dont know how to do but somebody somewhere on that other board talked about doing this. Wonder if Stangbat could answer this if its LED.

Edited by BlKtRe, 07 March 2011 - 06:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users