#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64182 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

Got a full tank of beer gas Friday in anticipation of my stout coming on tap. $38. It hurts a little, but it should last a while, it's 4X as much gas in a 5# cylinder of CO2.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64182 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

Anyone else have any beer related updates?

#3 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

Anyone else have any beer related updates?

Not at all where I thought this thread was going.Beer gives me gas. Ordered a march 809. Going to Sierra Nevada in two weeks. S'about it.

#4 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35498 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

Sorry, but "beer gas" in the PH can only mean someone drank a few too many hefeweizens the night before...

#5 awall

awall

Comptroller of Being a Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10394 posts
  • LocationRowley

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

waiting for autumn so the temps in my basement get low enough to ferment something other than a belgian.

#6 texred1

texred1

Permanent Comptroller & Pyromaniac

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3685 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

Got a full tank of beer gas Friday in anticipation of my stout coming on tap. $38. It hurts a little, but it should last a while, it's 4X as much gas in a 5# cylinder of CO2.

Wow, I pay $18 to fill a 5# with CO2 and seem to burn though it pretty fast. Maybe I should look into this.~d

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18083 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

waiting for autumn so the temps in my basement get low enough to ferment something other than a belgian.

Time to build a fermentation chamber!

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

A syringe is much cheaper and produces pretty much the same result.

#9 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26210 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

Wow, I pay $18 to fill a 5# with CO2 and seem to burn though it pretty fast. Maybe I should look into this.~d

But you use it at 30 psi...double the gas at double the use pressure is the same cost in my book. Sure you don't always carb with beer gas, but once you figure in the cost of the faucet et al it costs you more.

#10 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

I'm a little confused. Did you get a 5# CO2 tank filled with beer gas? You might be disappointed with how long it'll last.Is 4x referring to the price? My understanding is you get much less beer gas in the same container vs CO2 because the CO2 is liquid.

#11 texred1

texred1

Permanent Comptroller & Pyromaniac

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3685 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

But you use it at 30 psi...double the gas at double the use pressure is the same cost in my book. Sure you don't always carb with beer gas, but once you figure in the cost of the faucet et al it costs you more.

I am confused, why would I need different faucets?~d

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

I am confused, why would I need different faucets?

The whole point of beer gas is to get a thick creamy head. You need a stout faucet (or a syringe) to do that.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

(or a syringe) to do that.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

I've tried this. Works pretty well but is a bit of a hassle particularly when you are going to pour a bunch of beers in a row.

#15 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

I am confused, why would I need different faucets?~d

A stout faucet has a restrictor plate in it with 5 tiny holes through which the beer passes cause the dissolved gas to come out of solution, creating the small cascading bubbles you see in Guinness. In order to use such a faucet there are a couple of opposing requirements: the beer needs to have a low level of carbonation, and the beer needs to be pushed with greater force (a.k.a. higher pressure). Hence a mixture of CO2 & N2 is used for such faucets called "Beer Gas". Beer gas is used for applications where a higher pressure is needed to push the beer than is required for the proper level of carbonation in the beer, such as long draw systems or jockey boxes. By using mixed gas, you can increase the pressure to push the beer through the system without over-carbonating the beer thanks to Henry's Law. The syringe may work (never tried it) but I can't imagine the presentation is as good as having it happen right off the faucet. However, I have heard it is a cheap way to get the effect so it can be useful for people who don't have beer gas and a stout faucet available to them.

#16 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

How does one use a syringe? Do you pour the beer, then fill the syringe, then empty the syringe into the beer?

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64182 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

I'm a little confused. Did you get a 5# CO2 tank filled with beer gas? You might be disappointed with how long it'll last.Is 4x referring to the price? My understanding is you get much less beer gas in the same container vs CO2 because the CO2 is liquid.

No, I have a separate 80 cubic foot cylinder for the beer gas. As far as how much gas you get, a 5# CO2 tank has about 18.5 cubic feet of gas. So the 80 cubic foot tank actually has 20 cubic feet of CO2, only slightly more than 5# liquid co2 tank, but you typically carb beer gas beer less, maybe 1.5 volumes vs. 2.2 volumes for other beers.Using those number the volume of beer carbed with a beer gas tank compared to a 5# liquid tank is:(20/18.5)*(2.2/1.5)=1.6 times as much beer carbed with an 80CF beer gas tank.Of course, the biggest difference is that I only have one stout tap so it'll be something like a 5 to 1 ratio of normal carbed beers versus beer gas carbed. If you're ONLY carbing your beer, a 5# tank will carb 140 gallons of beer to 2.2 volumes. Of course, I do a lot more things than carb beer. I'm sure I blow through a lot of CO2 in purging and CO2 transfers. I won't be doing as much of that with the beer gas. My guess is the beer gas will last 10+ batches. That's likely 2 or 3 years of beer gas beer.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64182 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

Interesting. I've never heard of this method. I might give it a try. Although, since I already have all the equipment and gas to run the stout faucet, I'll probably stick with that for my standard method. I do like the idea of the syringe method for traveling and/or bottling the beer. It'll save the extra hassle of lugging the 80CF tank around (which is freaking heavy!).

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

As far as how much gas you get, a 5# CO2 tank has about 18.5 cubic feet of gas.

A 5# CO2 tank has 18.5 cubic feet of liquid.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64182 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:48 PM

A 5# CO2 tank has 18.5 cubic feet of liquid.

One cubic foot is 7.5 gallons. Liquid CO2 at room temp has a density of about 6.5 lb/gal. 5# will occupy about 0.8 gallon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users