#21 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

Denny, what's your opinion on using pale malt in place of 2-row? It's the closest thing I have that I could use.

Pale malt IS 2 row. I'd have to know more specifically what you're thinking of.

#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

Don't tell Denny, but I was having a yeast crisis and ended up using Nottingham... :D But I know I made beer!

I did that....once!

#23 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

Oh my! Just did a google search for "Denny's rye ipa" and got a gazillion results. Could someone (Denny?) please post a link to the definative version of this recipe?

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

right - I meant the difference between pale 2-row malt and pale ale malt (pale ale malt being darker than pale 2-row).ETA: I have pale ale malt.

#25 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

Oh my! Just did a google search for "Denny's rye ipa" and got a gazillion results. Could someone (Denny?) please post a link to the definative version of this recipe?

I want to say this is the one.https://hbd.org/club...es/recipes.html

#26 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

I want to say this is the one.https://hbd.org/club...es/recipes.html

Yep, that be the one! Except the yeast is now called Wyeast 1450 Denny's Fav50.

#27 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

Denny, thanks for posting this, always the gentleman - I try but I get ornery and it doesn't always work. Have a question. I'm curious how you think the crystal malt comes into play in the Altbier recipe that was on the link. One of my newfound favorite styles and am continually working on it. I've always thought crystal malts were something to be very sparing with for that style, if at all, to get the dry finish from those. Thanks.

#28 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

The link I posted was "https://www.austinho...products_id=82" on austin homebrew. They also offer something called "Brewers 2 Row" which is basically the same, but is slightly lighter in color.I used the "Pale Ale Malt". Never having had this beer brewed by anyone else I can't really comment on the difference. All I can say is that this is a damn fine beer.Cheers,Rich

#29 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

I made Denny's Rye a few years ago with the T-58 yeast and it came out very interesting. I got 13#'s of Rye in the basement and a pack of the 1450 on hand. If I break out the gear this weekend, Denny's Rye will be calling. This will be my 1st time using 1450, can't wait.

#30 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

I made Denny's Rye a few years ago with the T-58 yeast and it came out very interesting. I got 13#'s of Rye in the basement and a pack of the 1450 on hand. If I break out the gear this weekend, Denny's Rye will be calling. This will be my 1st time using 1450, can't wait.

Yup, the problem here is dreweslu and I came up with a RyePA that we fell in love with. Whenever I think a RyePA should be brewed here I always fall back on the house original or a slight variation. Thanks to the Lawrence Bewers Guild and Free State Brewery I have a lot of Mt. Hoods. Pretty sure I have the rest to brew Denny's. Probably won't this time either, sometime..............

#31 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

Denny, thanks for posting this, always the gentleman - I try but I get ornery and it doesn't always work. Have a question. I'm curious how you think the crystal malt comes into play in the Altbier recipe that was on the link. One of my newfound favorite styles and am continually working on it. I've always thought crystal malts were something to be very sparing with for that style, if at all, to get the dry finish from those. Thanks.

Through the years, I've gone back and forth on crystal in altbier. Dornbusch's recipes use a high % of it, and he knows his stuff. Likewise, the recipe I've sen for Zum Uerige (from the brewmaster himself) uses a surprisingly high amount of crystal. These days, my Milo's Alt recipe (the one that's on the web page) uses .25 lb. of CaraMunich instead of crystal. And I don't even always do that. I think one of the keys is to use enough hops to balance any kind of crystal that's in there.

#32 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

Through the years, I've gone back and forth on crystal in altbier. Dornbusch's recipes use a high % of it, and he knows his stuff. Likewise, the recipe I've sen for Zum Uerige (from the brewmaster himself) uses a surprisingly high amount of crystal. These days, my Milo's Alt recipe (the one that's on the web page) uses .25 lb. of CaraMunich instead of crystal. And I don't even always do that. I think one of the keys is to use enough hops to balance any kind of crystal that's in there.

Thanks, the hops/crystal makes sense for the style. I always thought Zum Uerige had quite a bit - a little much for me. But on the other hand I've never trusted that it had been treated well on the trip here. Maybe I'll make the trip someday and taste it there. Thanks again for the insight.

#33 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19206 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

right - I meant the difference between pale 2-row malt and pale ale malt (pale ale malt being darker than pale 2-row).ETA: I have pale ale malt.

I don't think the color of the base malt is critical in this beer. I think the flavor of the base malt is overpowered by the rye, hops, crystal malt, yeast, etc. The color of the base malt isn't that important with so much crystal 60 in there. By my calculations, the color goes from around 11 SRM to 12.6 SRM if you move the base malt from 2.5 lovibond to 5 lovibond. That's not a big difference.

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

I don't think the color of the base malt is critical in this beer. I think the flavor of the base malt is overpowered by the rye, hops, crystal malt, yeast, etc. The color of the base malt isn't that important with so much crystal 60 in there. By my calculations, the color goes from around 11 SRM to 12.6 SRM if you move the base malt from 2.5 lovibond to 5 lovibond. That's not a big difference.

Usually there's only about a 1L difference between pale and pale ale. Like you say, not enough to matter. I do think the base malt flavor comes through, though. I prefer Rahr pale as a base, and I can definitley tell the difference between it, Great Western and Briess.

#35 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

Usually there's only about a 1L difference between pale and pale ale. Like you say, not enough to matter. I do think the base malt flavor comes through, though. I prefer Rahr pale as a base, and I can definitley tell the difference between it, Great Western and Briess.

I'll be using Canada Malting Company. :stabby:

#36 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

LHBS didn't have enough Mt. Hoods for the FWH, so I subbed Liberty leaf. I had the worst sparge of my life brewing this 11G batch. It didn't stick completely (knock on wood), but it drained at a trickle. This was only my second time using the new 70qt mash tun. I think I'm going to add a longer braid to this. The one on there now is < 6". Split the wort between the 1450 and US-05.

#37 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

LHBS didn't have enough Mt. Hoods for the FWH, so I subbed Liberty leaf. I had the worst sparge of my life brewing this 11G batch. It didn't stick completely (knock on wood), but it drained at a trickle. This was only my second time using the new 70qt mash tun. I think I'm going to add a longer braid to this. The one on there now is < 6". Split the wort between the 1450 and US-05.

My experience is that the longer braid won't make any difference. AAMOF, a lot of people have moved from a longer braid to a shorter one and experienced fewer issues. Keep in mind that basically all of the runoff happens at the outlet, so there's nothing to be gained from a longer braid.

#38 nitroglycerin11

nitroglycerin11

Comptroller of Bulgaria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

would vanguard work as a suitable substitute for the Hoods? I just happen to have those on hand.

#39 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:37 AM

Yeah, I'd think so.

#40 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

Is White Labs WLP051 really equivalent? My LHBS only stocks White Labs (and dry yeast).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users