#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

I just poured my first draft of Denny's Rye IPA that I brewed 6 weeks ago.ZOMG!!!!!@$##$#$% :facepalm: :smilielol: :devil: :cheers: :cheers: I don't know how to put it any better than that. This is some fantastic beer. The aroma is great and the balance is perfect. This is a great beer and there is a reason this one is on the super star list.This is just my first impression. I can't really detect flaws unless they are blatantly obvious and I really screwed up. I don't secondary and I just chill the primary after a few weeks in the swamp cooler then transfer to the keg for carbonation. So this beer had three weeks in the fridge and is crystal clear. I didn't use any gelatin, but there was irish moss in there somewhere.Thanks to Denny for designing and sharing such a fantastic recipe!HOIST!!!! :PRich

#2 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25599 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:08 PM

This is one of those internet recipes that derserve it's reputation.Anybody who is interested in exploring rye beers, Denny's Rye IPA is highly recommended.ETA: Denny's Rye is one example of what homebrewing is all about.zymot

Edited by zymot, 24 June 2010 - 08:09 PM.

#3 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13046 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:02 AM

It is very good, I've made it 4-5 times I know. A 10 gl batch (I scale to 11 for loss) will put a good dent in a 55lb of grain. :P

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:45 AM

I've had my batch (2nd time for Denny's RIPA) in secondary for a week now. Brewed it around the same time as you. I did cold crash before transferring it... will probably bottle half and keg half tonight.It IS a fine brew.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:49 AM

I've had my batch (2nd time for Denny's RIPA) in secondary for a week now. Brewed it around the same time as you. I did cold crash before transferring it... will probably bottle half and keg half tonight.It IS a fine brew.

I have everything I need to brew this per denny's recipe except I have US pale ale malt instead of 2-row. Should I adjust anything to compensate or just let it be more malty?

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

I have everything I need to brew this per denny's recipe except I have US pale ale malt instead of 2-row. Should I adjust anything to compensate or just let it be more malty?

I say let it fly with what you have.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

Damn, I love it when people love that beer as much as we do!

#8 nitroglycerin11

nitroglycerin11

Comptroller of Bulgaria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

Damn, I love it when people love that beer as much as we do!

I KNEW IT. He is more than one man.

#9 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

I've yet to brew this up. It is definitely on my radar though along with Liquid Stupid. :P

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

The beer was developed for my wife's annual birthday party. I kept brewing test batches until we agreed that it was right. If I don't keep it on tap at home, she tells me she doesn't have anything to drink!

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

The beer was developed for my wife's annual birthday party. I kept brewing test batches until we agreed that it was right. If I don't keep it on tap at home, she tells me she doesn't have anything to drink!

Denny, what's your opinion on using pale malt in place of 2-row? It's the closest thing I have that I could use.

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

Look at the quote in my signature and you will understand that he is referring also to his SWMBO... although I would excuse Denny for using the Royal "We" if he was so inclined. :P

#13 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

Denny, what's your opinion on using pale malt in place of 2-row? It's the closest thing I have that I could use.

Zym, you should be fine... now that I think about it I was using 2Row.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

Zym, you should be fine... now that I think about it I was using 2Row.

I believe that's what the recipe calls for. Did you mean to say you were use pale ale malt?

#15 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

Grrr...now i have regret.Was at the LHBS and bought some ingredients and passed on denny's rye recipe for now.I have made it four times.Great stuff.

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:37 PM

I believe that's what the recipe calls for. Did you mean to say you were use pale ale malt?

The recipe I have says Pale Malt. I assume that means Pale Ale Malt because that is what I used.Cheers,Rich

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

The recipe I have says Pale Malt. I assume that means Pale Ale Malt because that is what I used.Cheers,Rich

ah - well I guess the one slight difference is I have C65 instead of C60. I don't think I'd ever be able to tell the difference though.

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

:D Must read more carefully...Yeah... now that I stop and think, the recipe calls for 2 Row, not Pale Malt. My guess is that if you used Pale Malt you would still make a very fine damn beer! It's the rye and the hops schedule that make this one. Don't tell Denny, but I was having a yeast crisis and ended up using Nottingham... :smilielol: But I know I made beer!

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

:D Must read more carefully...Yeah... now that I stop and think, the recipe calls for 2 Row, not Pale Malt. My guess is that if you used Pale Malt you would still make a very fine damn beer! It's the rye and the hops schedule that make this one. Don't tell Denny, but I was having a yeast crisis and ended up using Nottingham... :smilielol: But I know I made beer!

haha - well now I've seen another recipe that says use pale ale malt! who knows!!! Worst case, you made beer. :cheers:

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

haha - well now I've seen another recipe that says use pale ale malt! who knows!!! Worst case, you made beer. :D

I think most of the recipes say "Pale Malt (2-Row)". I'm a no0b so I took that as Pale Ale malt and figured it was actually 2 row barely rather than 6. I didn't even think about using brewers 2 row, but I'm thinking its a straight substitute.Either way I'm sure it'll turn out fine. If you have pale ale, then go with it.Cheers,Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users