#41 LilSmokey

LilSmokey

Master of TL;DR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3249 posts
  • Locationthe SWATS!

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:08 AM

I never posted a thanks for the recipe, but I brewed this one when I was home in November of last year. When I was home again in April this year I got to sample my results. It came out very good. We'll see how good it keeps, since I'll be re-tapping the keg when I get back home in December. Thanks for a great recipe, Denny. I had been wanting to try this one for a while. I've had some commercial rye beers, but I've never tried anything with rye on my own.

#42 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

Is White Labs WLP051 really equivalent? My LHBS only stocks White Labs (and dry yeast).

Not IMO.

#43 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

I never posted a thanks for the recipe, but I brewed this one when I was home in November of last year. When I was home again in April this year I got to sample my results. It came out very good. We'll see how good it keeps, since I'll be re-tapping the keg when I get back home in December. Thanks for a great recipe, Denny. I had been wanting to try this one for a while. I've had some commercial rye beers, but I've never tried anything with rye on my own.

Honored you enjoy it, Smokey! Take care of yourself!

#44 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

My experience is that the longer braid won't make any difference. AAMOF, a lot of people have moved from a longer braid to a shorter one and experienced fewer issues. Keep in mind that basically all of the runoff happens at the outlet, so there's nothing to be gained from a longer braid.

Never had a stuck mash or a slow run off with my 48qt and "U" shaped braid connected to a T fitting. Brewed the Rye before and plenty of wheats with that mashtun. 1st time out with wheat and rye was brutal with a very short braid.

#45 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

Never had a stuck mash or a slow run off with my 48qt and "U" shaped braid connected to a T fitting. Brewed the Rye before and plenty of wheats with that mashtun. 1st time out with wheat and rye was brutal with a very short braid.

I've never had a stuck sparge with my hose braid, but couldn't you just blow on the outlet if it gets stuck?

#46 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:34 PM

I've never had a stuck sparge with my hose braid, but couldn't you just blow on the outlet if it gets stuck?

At 150+ degrees??? Need Hot Lips Hoolihan to take care of that one methinks! Sounds kind of like the Top Kill method BP was trying to use.

#47 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

I've tried the hot lips hoolihand approach and although it works initially I find that if it sticks once it will stick 5+ times. If you raise the end of the hose above the cooler outlet this method is fool proof.

#48 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

I've tried the hot lips hoolihand approach and although it works initially I find that if it sticks once it will stick 5+ times. If you raise the end of the hose above the cooler outlet this method is fool proof.

:scratch: :cheers: :smilielol: Why the hell did I forget about the tube??? For some silly reason, in my mind the tube was taken off and blowing directly into the bulkhead. I'll attribute it to the fact that it was Wednesday.

#49 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

LHBS didn't have enough Mt. Hoods for the FWH, so I subbed Liberty leaf. I had the worst sparge of my life brewing this 11G batch. It didn't stick completely (knock on wood), but it drained at a trickle. This was only my second time using the new 70qt mash tun. I think I'm going to add a longer braid to this. The one on there now is < 6". Split the wort between the 1450 and US-05.

Is it the Coleman Extreme?I made a CPVC manifold with slits in it to go in the bottom of mine. I haven't had a stuck sparge yet. You might get few more bits of grain coming through on the first running, but you dump that back in anyway so it doesn't matter. It flows like a champ though and is cake to clean.Cheers,Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users