ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

Upright freezer???Posted ImagePosted Image

That is some crazy homebrewing sh!t, but can you get it to lager temp?

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

That is some crazy homebrewing sh!t, but can you get it to lager temp?

I have since covered it with 1" rigid foam insulation. I can freeze the beer solid with it.

#23 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

Can you remove the casters? I have found soda coolers here for under $200. Just keep looking.

I can, but I don't want too. I really enjoy the service they provide.The cooler I just got back from looking wasn't in the best of shape. One of the downfalls with the small pics on CL's. Door was crooked and wasn't sealing on the handle end plus it was starting to rust on the inside.I am going to keep looking and would love to find one with a $200 price tag. I also like the idea of being able to look through the glass and see the conical temp without opening the door. Blichmann emailed and said a 20 cu/ft freezer will work but I just haven't ran across too many of them for sale.

#24 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

I have since covered it with 1" rigid foam insulation. I can freeze the beer solid with it.

Nice. Did you have to over ride the cut off on the a/c?

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:27 PM

Nice. Did you have to over ride the cut off on the a/c?

Yeah, I bypassed the thermostat. I have the temp controller controlling the power on the AC. I think I might switch it so that the TC only controls the compressor and the AC is powered on continuously so the fan will run. But it works great as long as it doesn't have to do a lot of cooling in very high humidity weather. I don't have it sealed up well enough to prevent the AC coils from freezing up when it has to run for a long time in high humidity.

#26 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

My 14.5 gallon blichmann conical fits perfectly in a single door pepsi cooler. Craigslist is your friend.

Question. Are you using a Ranco for your? I might be going to look at another this weekend but the manf. specs lists the temp range from 32-40. I got to thinking if you plugged the unit into a Ranco it would be controlling everything. Lights, fans and compressor. The model I looked at the other day had fans running even with the compressor off. I didn't know if that was normal or? Curious as how you have yours setup.

#27 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:02 AM

Question. Are you using a Ranco for your? I might be going to look at another this weekend but the manf. specs lists the temp range from 32-40. I got to thinking if you plugged the unit into a Ranco it would be controlling everything. Lights, fans and compressor. The model I looked at the other day had fans running even with the compressor off. I didn't know if that was normal or? Curious as how you have yours setup.

I have the unit plugged into a Johnson. It controls everything, so no lights when its cold enough.

#28 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

I have the unit plugged into a Johnson. It controls everything, so no lights when its cold enough.

I picked one up yesterday, been used 8 months then the restaurant close. This one has a fan that runs constantly but I see no need in it since the door isn't being opened 50 times a day. After giving it some thought I'm going to let the controller run everything. I had thought about wiring it to the compressor so the fan and light would work. Meh.

#29 Mexas Joe

Mexas Joe

Obama Thanker

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22502 posts
  • LocationIt's OK to be White

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

Posted ImageOld pic, but I changed to a 14 gal SS conical. The ferment box works ok, providing I don't brew during the heat of the summer. Two CPU fans push/pull cold air from the kegerator. Not perfect, but I have not had time to improve it.

#30 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

Looks good Mexas. Is the inside insulated?lol...your pic looks like my garage. I was just looking through here at all the brew gear I have plus the freezer for food. It's starting to get a little out of control. Come a long way since the turkey fryer and bottles, but I am running out of space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users