#1 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

Didn't find too much with the search feature. Trub seems to hit on Trub Lou a lot. :rolf: 1.I've always been real picky about transferring crystal clear wort to the carboys. I will usually chill and let the wort rest for a couple hours at least and sometimes all night. Thats said, do any of you conical owners x-fer right away and actually dump the trub with the bottom valve? I seem to recall reading that some people will take a rubber hammer and tap the sides to get the trub down. Of course, lost wort is an issue also. Is it bad?2. It's doubtful I'm going to find the correct upright freezer before this weekend. I need to knock out a brew. The temp on the lower level of the house is 65. Think that's cool enough for an ale to not get too carried away? I have pulled it off with 10 gls split between a couple carboys but all in one vessel has me a tad worried.

#2 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

Didn't find too much with the search feature. Trub seems to hit on Trub Lou a lot. :rolf: 1.I've always been real picky about transferring crystal clear wort to the carboys. I will usually chill and let the wort rest for a couple hours at least and sometimes all night. Thats said, do any of you conical owners x-fer right away and actually dump the trub with the bottom valve? I seem to recall reading that some people will take a rubber hammer and tap the sides to get the trub down. Of course, lost wort is an issue also. Is it bad?2. It's doubtful I'm going to find the correct upright freezer before this weekend. I need to knock out a brew. The temp on the lower level of the house is 65. Think that's cool enough for an ale to not get too carried away? I have pulled it off with 10 gls split between a couple carboys but all in one vessel has me a tad worried.

I let it sit for a few hours, then dump the trub & pitch the yeast. You will be ok if there is some left in there. 65dF ambient is ok in the conical.

#3 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

1.I've always been real picky about transferring crystal clear wort to the carboys.

Clear wort being helpful for anything is an old wive's tale. Trub is good for the yeast, and doesn't affect the clarity of the finished beer (if it settles out in the BK, it will settle out in the primary).

#4 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

Clear wort being helpful for anything is an old wive's tale. Trub is good for the yeast, and doesn't affect the clarity of the finished beer (if it settles out in the BK, it will settle out in the primary).

I know that it will settle, but regarding carboys if I plan on harvesting the yeast and reusing it I don't want all the trub in there. I pitch ample size starters, have yeast nutrients and no attenuation problems. Plus, I'm not into yeast washing either. :rolleyes:What I'm hoping for with the conical is that I can get most all the trub out before pitching. I seem to recall reading it's not as easy as claimed. Some people will take a rubber hammer & tap around the bottom to get it to fall properly.

#5 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

I know that it will settle, but regarding carboys if I plan on harvesting the yeast and reusing it I don't want all the trub in there.

Why not?

#6 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

Does anyone know of a specific upright freezer that will house a 14gl conical WITH the casters? I've looked at everything from 14-20 cu/ft and none that I have seen will accommodate it. Seems the bigger they get, the taller and wider they get. Not deeper by the same margin.I have passed on many 17 cu/ft for sale on CL because they just aren't big enough. A lot of the freezers I've seen have a 3" protrusion in the back that hides the coils and that really hurts my cause.I went by the scratch & dent Sears today and looked at some 20 cu/ft and even those didn't appear like they would work. I really wish Blichmann had designed the casters a different way. I understand they add stability like they are now but it kills you in the amount of space they require.I'm about to resign to taking them off although I really like the functionality they provide.

Edited by VolFan, 10 August 2010 - 03:32 PM.

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

Didn't find too much with the search feature. Trub seems to hit on Trub Lou a lot. :)

Limit your search to the Beer forum. Oughta take care of that problem. :)

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

When I remember I'll bottom dump several hours later or the next day. Usually only when I have had a crap transfer with lots of break and hop debris. Yeast is still in suspension then so it's not a big deal afaic. Most of the time I forget or blow it off. My other fermenter is a Sanke = no bottom dump. Both ferment great beer. Still it's nice for harvesting. Then I will dump a quart or so before saving yeast. If it's a Blichmann take the elbow off and have a straight down dump valve and it's a lot easier.No clue on a fridge/freezer. I use a cabinet with AC. I put my own casters on before they had those offset ones. It works but you need to be patient because that 14.5 is top heavy. Maybe you can re-orient them for a smaller footprint and less stability.

#9 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

No clue on a fridge/freezer. I use a cabinet with AC. I put my own casters on before they had those offset ones. It works but you need to be patient because that 14.5 is top heavy. Maybe you can re-orient them for a smaller footprint and less stability.

You can't for the way they are designed. They stick "out", thus causing the problem. Each caster protrudes about 3" so in essence they add 6" overall to the footprint.

#10 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

Didn't find too much with the search feature. Trub seems to hit on Trub Lou a lot. :) 1.I've always been real picky about transferring crystal clear wort to the carboys. I will usually chill and let the wort rest for a couple hours at least and sometimes all night. Thats said, do any of you conical owners x-fer right away and actually dump the trub with the bottom valve? I seem to recall reading that some people will take a rubber hammer and tap the sides to get the trub down. Of course, lost wort is an issue also. Is it bad?2. It's doubtful I'm going to find the correct upright freezer before this weekend. I need to knock out a brew. The temp on the lower level of the house is 65. Think that's cool enough for an ale to not get too carried away? I have pulled it off with 10 gls split between a couple carboys but all in one vessel has me a tad worried.

1. You can dump a bunch of times, actually you should. You want to first bleed of the trub and yeast at the bottom before harvesting, the bottom fraction of the cone has a low viability. Then you harvest the crop which is a mixed from the middle layer and some younger yeast on top. After harvest you'll still be collecting stuff in the cone that should be dumped at certain points, but you never want to take that later yeast for repitching. 2. 65 is fine for most ales

#11 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

1. You can dump a bunch of times, actually you should. You want to first bleed of the trub and yeast at the bottom before harvesting, the bottom fraction of the cone has a low viability. Then you harvest the crop which is a mixed from the middle layer and some younger yeast on top. After harvest you'll still be collecting stuff in the cone that should be dumped at certain points, but you never want to take that later yeast for repitching. 2. 65 is fine for most ales

Regarding #1.....Thanks for the response. #2....Im cool with proper ferm temps and such. I have already done a few ales in the den where the temp is ~65-67, but during heavy fermentation the beer crept up to 72.Right now I'm needing a freezer that will accommodate the conical with the casters. Probably should have just started another thread.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

You can't for the way they are designed. They stick "out", thus causing the problem. Each caster protrudes about 3" so in essence they add 6" overall to the footprint.

Since this option wasn't available when I bought the leg extenders I did a DIY. Wasn't that tough. Drilled some holes and used SS bolts and SS nylock nuts to go straight down. But as I said before, big stability problem, but not really if you go slow with it. Never tipped it or the Sanke fermenter that Swagman welded spears on for legs and has the basically the same footprint. I did this so I could roll the fermenters after filling. Have another DIY ramp that lets me roll them into the fermenting cabinet - would work the same going into a fridge or upright freezer. I have things set up so there is really no lifting except the MT. And if I have a huge grainbill I use my plastic scoop to empty the tun. Holds about 1.5# of dry grain. I have to do that with 10 gal batches and no help around.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

I eventually want to get a conical fermentor. I figured when I did I would just build a big fermentor box that would be sectioned for storage, lagering and such.After seeing how big a 14-15 gallon conical is that was my only logical conclusion: If I was serious enough to get a conical, I was serious enough to make a fermentor/storage box.Cheers,Rich

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

When I want a nice clean yeast cake, I either wait a few hours or overnight and dump the trub until the wort runs clear. I do sacrifice some beer with this method, but it works very well and leaves virtually no hop/break matter in the cone. I've heard many times that you should dump after about two days, but I'm always freaked about dumping good yeast. I should probably give it a try. I'm sure I'm worried about nothing.

#15 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

I eventually want to get a conical fermentor. I figured when I did I would just build a big fermentor box that would be sectioned for storage, lagering and such.After seeing how big a 14-15 gallon conical is that was my only logical conclusion: If I was serious enough to get a conical, I was serious enough to make a fermentor/storage box.Cheers,Rich

My 14.5 gallon blichmann conical fits perfectly in a single door pepsi cooler. Craigslist is your friend.

#16 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

My 14.5 gallon blichmann conical fits perfectly in a single door pepsi cooler. Craigslist is your friend.

With the factory casters?I have looked for coke coolers and the cheapest I've ran across was about $800.

#17 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

Why do you say that? It is pretty much universally recommended to keep hot break out of the fermenter. Here's an article on it from the Brewing Techniques magazine. https://www.brewingt....4/barchet.htmlCold break may not be so bad.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

2. It's doubtful I'm going to find the correct upright freezer before this weekend. I need to knock out a brew. The temp on the lower level of the house is 65. Think that's cool enough for an ale to not get too carried away? I have pulled it off with 10 gls split between a couple carboys but all in one vessel has me a tad worried.

Upright freezer???Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

Nicely done JK. An angle I hadn't considered.Going to look at this tomorrow. Comes with a one year warranty from the seller.Posted Image

Edited by VolFan, 11 August 2010 - 06:24 PM.

#20 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:25 AM

With the factory casters?I have looked for coke coolers and the cheapest I've ran across was about $800.

Can you remove the casters? I have found soda coolers here for under $200. Just keep looking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users