#21 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

I have the CrankandStein 2A homemade base and a big plastic flowerpot for a hopper, powered with a p.o.s. harbor freight drill I got on sale for $10.However, I agree all of the commercially available 2-3 roller mils areup to the task, so it depends on personal preference.I previously used a Porkert Corona style mill and it worked pretty well for me also.

#22 onthekeg

onthekeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSW MN

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

To put it honestly.... Everyone loves whatever mill they own. By and large they are all good or they wouldn't be in business. I have a Crank 3D and a Corona knock off. I do many cream ales, CAP's, and wits and wheats. I only use the corona for the unmalted grains. It grinds the corn and wheat much better than a roller mill IMHO.I love cereal mashes and the lightness that a little adjunct will give to the beer.

#23 tjthresh

tjthresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:12 AM

I use a Barley Crusher. I slapped a motor on it right before I stopped brewing. Can't wait to get that thing going again.

#24 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

To put it honestly.... Everyone loves whatever mill they own. By and large they are all good or they wouldn't be in business. I have a Crank 3D and a Corona knock off. I do many cream ales, CAP's, and wits and wheats. I only use the corona for the unmalted grains. It grinds the corn and wheat much better than a roller mill IMHO.I love cereal mashes and the lightness that a little adjunct will give to the beer.

I'm sure you're right. That said, the grain mills are not identical and don't all share the same features and attributes, and anyone considering buying a mill should carefully consider how he intends to use it before buying one. Some are easier to motorize than others, others are easier to just get going immediately. I like my CrankandStein 3D quite a bit - but I had to do a fair amount of work to get it motorized and set up the way I wanted. Then again, I enjoy projects like this, had the tools and skills to do so, so it wasn't a burden and didn't bother me. Others may not want to put that time and effort into getting their grain mill set up, and the C&S mills probably wouldn't be a good choice for them. I think it's a great idea for everyone to share how they set their grain mills up so others thinking of getting one have an appreciation of different approaches. Que sera and all that.

#25 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10827 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:29 AM

I have the basic JSP non adjustable malt mill. I drive it with my cordless Dewault drill. I have run many a bag of grain through the mill with no problems at all. Nice crush...usually close to 80% efficiency.

#26 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

barley crusher with a dedicated dewalt drill that always stays attached to it. i want to attach an old kitchenaid motor instead but haven't gotten there

#27 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

I have the Monster MM-3 that I drive with a 1/2" corded drill. The thing works great, it goes through enough grain for 10 gallons in like a minute or two. I'm getting 90+% efficiency so it's probably set just fine as it came.

#28 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

I am getting 82% avg + or - 2points with my Schmidling Malt-Mill non adjusable, with a corded drill. I am in the process of attaching a motor and mounting it to a rolling bench.

#29 Alpha Male

Alpha Male

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCollinsville Il.

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:57 AM

Valley Mill w/a motor attached. Most of my buddies have the Barley crusher. Jeff

#30 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:29 PM

I have a Barley Crusher I drive with a a corded drill, and I've been really happy with it.

#31 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

I have the basic JSP non adjustable malt mill. I drive it with my cordless Dewault drill. I have run many a bag of grain through the mill with no problems at all. Nice crush...usually close to 80% efficiency.

This, but motorized.

#32 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:42 PM

Am I the only one on this board using a Corona mill?And I am actually perfectly content with it.

#33 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

Am I the only one on this board using a Corona mill?And I am actually perfectly content with it.

Not using a Corona mill, but if you're happy with your results, I'm certainly not going to argue. That's the bottom line, isn't it?

#34 HoppingFrog Brewing

HoppingFrog Brewing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNewport, WA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

I have 2 grain crushers a Corona Style a home built simmilar to a Crankinstine but bigger. The roler is 4 1/2 inches in Dia and 14" long The hoper can hold 40 lbs. Both rollers are driven buy a seris of gears. A friend built a roller mill about the size of the phill mill. One roller is driven the other is opperated as grain is fed through by friction between the rollers he has trouble with feeding if the roller gums up from grain dust.

#35 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

I have 2 grain crushers a Corona Style a home built simmilar to a Crankinstine but bigger. The roler is 4 1/2 inches in Dia and 14" long The hoper can hold 40 lbs. Both rollers are driven buy a seris of gears. A friend built a roller mill about the size of the phill mill. One roller is driven the other is opperated as grain is fed through by friction between the rollers he has trouble with feeding if the roller gums up from grain dust.

I have seen the big mill of yours that thing is a true monster, y'all would be jealous of it if you saw it I am.

#36 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:10 PM

i did for the first 2 years of my AG ventures, it worked to my satisfaction.

#37 DaKine

DaKine

a compt roller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationPuna

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

almost exactly the same here, 'cept a craftsman cordless. sometimes i'll use the hand crank for 8-9 pounds. must have crushed over half a ton so far.

#38 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

Crankandstein 3D with a power drill. Only problem has been the cheapo drill that I bought that only came with the capability to hand tighten the chuck. It sometimes vibrates loose- I'd recommend the C&S 3D- it has already paid for itself in less than a year.

#39 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8261 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

I like my Monster Mill so much I bought one for a ninja brewer friend of mine with the optional 1/2" drive shaft for his motor setup. The hopper and mounting setup took a little head scratching to figure out but the effort was worth it. It's an exceptional value for the cost and rivals my march pump as favorite piece of brewing gear.

#40 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

I have a crankandstein 2 roller mill, motorized. I am completely satisfied with it, as I get decent efficiencies, and being able to buy malt in bulk and not having to crush it by hand is well worth it.If I had to do it all over again, I would most likely get a monster mill though. Now that I am out of college and working, I would also personally consider the 3 roller design if I had to buy one right now. Again, as it is, I am satisfied, and don't see myself upgrading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users