#1 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:37 PM

So, I've been working on getting a MLT built. I would like to get a grain crusher to go along with my new system. I know there are several out there, so let me have it. What do you have? Do you like it? What would you change about it?Also, anyone who's built their own, I'd like to hear from you.

#2 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:43 PM

I got a Barley Crusher. If I lived in a house and had a garage with some shop equipment I would have bought a Monster Mill and built a hopper. Instead I live an 4th floor walkup in Manhattan and so I got a BC with the small hopper attached. Till now I have been hand cranking it. Honestly I kind of like cranking through 22 pounds of grain to start my brew day. Once I break a sweat everything seems easier. However, in an effort to streamline my brewdays to shorter times so I can brew more frequently I picked up an adjustable low speed drill to attach to it. This Sunday will be my first time using it. I already have a cordless drill that I use for building kegerators (drilling through fridge doors) but it can't get my BC to turn over. So I picked up this heavy duty corded to get the job done in a hurry. On mornings when I want to get my heart rate up I'll still attach the hand crank. For the money, if you want a complete, pre-built useable out of the box mill the BC can't be beat.

Edited by chuck_d, 27 March 2009 - 09:44 PM.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:43 PM

I have the Barley Crusher. I have never moved the roller gap since I bought it and brewed almost 40 beers with it too. I love it. Very consistant and I have had great results. Not sure I would change anything about it either to be honest.

#4 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

So, I've been working on getting a MLT built. I would like to get a grain crusher to go along with my new system. I know there are several out there, so let me have it. What do you have? Do you like it? What would you change about it?Also, anyone who's built their own, I'd like to hear from you.

I think I'm in the extreme minority here, but I have a PhilMilll 1. I run it with a cheap-o Black and Decker drill. Basically, a single roller with a curled metal plate that you adjust up against the knurled roller to control the crush gap. I have this dialed into as tight as I can go with my drill still spining freely without smoking... The crush is excellent, and my lautering is smooth - routinely I achieve >90% efficiency depending on gravity. Ultimately, I'm pleased and have no regrets for 95$ my LHBS charged. Works well for 5 and 10 gallon batches. I think the drill is the weakest link, honestly.If I could change anything (obviously, I could.....), I would remove the existing wood mounting and replace it with a new one that could fit on top of a bucket and accommodate a larger hopper. Currently, I have a 2-liter bottle with a large garage funnel inserted in if and taped in - mills about 4.5 lbs per fill in 90 seconds or so. If you can find these mills around, I recommend it.

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:51 PM

Oh, one uncommon thing that I want to note. Everyone says that the black rubber ring on one of the rollers will fall off the first time you use it. I was like, fine whatever, it'll just be mashed in my first beer. I didn't bother to cut it off. I'm sure exactly how many times I've used it by now, maybe 8-12 (half of those 10 gallon batches). A couple batches ago I looked down and saw it still attached and was surprised. Normally I'm anal and notice things like that right away. Maybe I will cut it off before it falls off, it's purpose is really just to turn the other roller in demostration of the mill, in use the grains will make the other roller move.

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

Chuck. I crushed my grains last night for the brew I did tonight and I decided I was not in the mood to hand crush 21lbs of grains so I attached my Dewalt Cordless drill and slowly crushed my grain bill. It went great and I am thinking I will consider doing that again. I agree hand crushing is fine but using a drill was just too easy as well.

#7 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42105 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:57 PM

I started with a phil mill and it was a huge PITA, now I have a Barley Crusher. I'll never look back...

#8 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:08 PM

Chuck. I crushed my grains last night for the brew I did tonight and I decided I was not in the mood to hand crush 21lbs of grains so I attached my Dewalt Cordless drill and slowly crushed my grain bill. It went great and I am thinking I will consider doing that again. I agree hand crushing is fine but using a drill was just too easy as well.

Yeah, lots of people have luck with cordless drills. I bought the cheapest thing I could find at the time, I think from harbor freight, not exactly sure. That's where I got the corded just recently. It's oldish (3 years), it's got a Nickel-based battery which I treated badly. It doesn't take long to drill through a fridge door so it's still useful for building kegerators. What the drill is really about to me is speed. With my setup, it takes much longer to do a brew session than it does someone with a real setup. I'm using a 15 gallon kettle on a gas stove trying to boil ~13 gallons of wort. I run two burners full blast for everything. It takes quite some time bring my strike/sparge water to temp and to achieve boils. I've always believed in full boils so I used to do 6.5 gallons in a 7.5 on electric stove (same thing, two burners & partially covered for the boil), so I'm used to the wait and gas is so much better for avoiding boilovers.What you describe though is why I bought the drill. Brewing late. If it's football season, and I'm not going anywhere on Sunday, I' don't mind a 10+ hour work day to do brew as it will include a lot of downtime where I'm watching the games. But I to keep my homebrewpub productive brewing for Superbowl parties, 50 gallons for my boy's wedding in August, and other "celebrations of beer" that I want to through demands time that I want to minimize.

Edited by chuck_d, 27 March 2009 - 10:08 PM.

#9 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

Monster Mill MM-2, Love it!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

Monster Mill MM-2, Love it!

That is a sweet setup, but show me the rollers!Hopefully ChefLemont gets the heads up to post his review in here. This is his shot of the MM2:Posted Image

Edited by chuck_d, 27 March 2009 - 11:43 PM.

#11 Geologist

Geologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

I use a CrankandStein 2 roller mill with a heavy duty lockable variable speed drill. The gap is adjustable but usually I use the default. I tighten it up when I'm crushing roast barley though, but only to run the roast barley though it. The only thing I would do differently is buy a model with SS rollers. My rollers tend to get some rust on them during the off season.

#12 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21378 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:01 AM

I have the 3 roller Crank-N-Stein with the hopper and base.I run it with my cordless drill. For a 10 gallon batch I will have to use both batteries on an 18 volt drill.

#13 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:06 AM

I have the maltmill and I really like it....but I think any of the more popular models work well here. I motorized mine that is simply awesome.

#14 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2666 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:16 AM

Another Barley Crusher user here. I've also not changed the settings on it and have used it pretty much how it came out of the box. I run it with an old corded drill. I used a corona mill before. My efficiency jumped from about 65% to almost 80% just from switching to the BC.

#15 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:38 AM

I've got a CrankAndStein 3E (3 roller mill) directly coupled to a motor (~200-300rpm, can't recall off the top of my head) and haven't really given the mill a second thought once I had the gap set. It just works nicely. Actually I'm still rolling with my temporary funnel for the hopper so I don't have to bother storing a larger one, lol. Its like most of my equipment at this point: it works so I'm not really fussing with it since I have so many other projects going on. I have it installed on a board I can just set over my mash tun. The switches and capacitors are installed in a little toolbox that also holds the cords and connect to the motors 4-wire harness with a trailer wiring connector.https://www.crankand...55oaggef9tcbi05Posted Image

#16 chauvan

chauvan

Comptroller of Jewish Scuba Divers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:46 AM

I have a BC that's still in the box. :) I didn't brew at all last year. This is the year though. I'm crackin' some grain.

#17 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:57 AM

I have a Crank & Stein 3D. The detents allow you to replicate your crush very easily. It was an expensive mill, but worth every penny. The thing is built like a tank. I don't think I will ever need to buy another. I power mine with an 18v cordless drill.Mashman

#18 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

I have a Crank & Stein 3D. The detents allow you to replicate your crush very easily. It was an expensive mill, but worth every penny. The thing is built like a tank. I don't think I will ever need to buy another. I power mine with an 18v cordless drill.Mashman

I love my CrankandStein 3D as well. I motorized mine, though, with a Beefy Bodine motor, so I could just "set it and forget it" for all but the biggest grain bills:Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:36 AM

I love my CrankandStein 3D as well. I motorized mine, though, with a Beefy Bodine motor, so I could just "set it and forget it" for all but the biggest grain bills:Posted ImagePosted Image

That is beautiful, kinda brings a tear to my eye.Mashman

#20 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26188 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:44 AM

I have a 3 roller monster mill, powered with a corded 1/2" chuck drill and love it. I agree with others, any of the options are great and will you love what you get no matter which brand / model you decide on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users