Brand new, where to start

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMosul, Iraq for now stationed at Ft Stewart, Ga trying to go to Ft Lewis, Wa

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

Hello all, I am very interested in getting into home brewing and I have been looking at some starter kits online but I don't really know what I am looking at or for. I understand that it is very simple to get started but I would like a kit that will set me up for success down the road because I plan on doing this long term. I tried to glean as much knowledge as possible from the brewboard before I realized that it was trash. The two main kits I am looking at are from Rebel Brewer and Midwest Supplies, although with midwest supplies I wasn't sure which one of their kits was really the best. All input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

Welcome to the hobby and to the board! You are right that it's not that hard to get started. This hobby is one of this where it takes a short time to learn enough to get started, but a lifetime to master. You will get very good advice here from some very knowledgeable brewers. I know that others will chime in and help you out with which kits are best to start off with. I'd like to offer this advice: The first thing you should do is purchase a copy of John Palmer's How To Brew. After you read the first chapter, which will be quick and entertaining, you will be able to select your beginning equipment with confidence.

#3 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26194 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:04 PM

Bring all your questions...we've all been thereI agree with the above. The 1st edition of How To Brew is available free on-line at www.howtobrew.com but it is a great book to buy.

#4 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

If you are in the South, try brewmasterswarehouse.com (out of Atlanta). When I first started I opted for all the bells and whistles and got glass primary and secondary. Now I just use the ale pales (food grade bucket) and skip secondary. Go with the less expensive kit and invest in a big pot and in a igloo cube to keep your fermentation nice and cool.

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48033 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

Welcome! If you don't mind my asking, how'd you find us? Google? Where in the country do you live? Don't be afraid to ask anything you want, we're here to help.It's pretty easy to make good beer with very limited equipment. Personally, I would recommend this kit from Midwest. It's a little less than the one you linked, and you don't need that second 5 gallon Better Bottle. Five gallons isn't big enough to ferment in, and so those bottles are intended for secondary aging. If you are a typical starting brewer, it will be quite a while before you need to have two batches in secondary at the same time. The kit I linked is enough to brew one batch at a time.Spend the $30 saved on these things below1) How to Brew by John Palmer. Buy this if you buy nothing else. It will explain the process of extract brewing and tell you what to expect to see if you really want to get into this (of course you do. :frank:) and it will keep serving you for years. I'm not crazy about the recipes in there, though they are decent, but the techniques are outstanding.2) Iodine no-rinse sanitizer. Sanitation is the most important aspect of brewing and what comes with that kit will be gone fast. Iodine-based sanis are really easy to use, completely no-rinse, and work just as well in any hardness of water.3) One of these IceCube coolers. Link is just for reference; at this time of year you can get them at Walmart for around $20. Get exactly that one or the next bigger one on wheels and we can tell you how to modify it into a very effective fermentation chiller. Fermentation temp is probably the second most important aspect of good home brewing and makes the difference between beer that is just okay and beer that is great. Since you're starting in the summer, it will be even harder for you to keep fermentation temps down. Most new brewers tend to neglect this aspect and make hot beers.Beyond that, you'll need a pot that can boil at least 4 gallons, a thermometer to use during grain steeping (cheap candy-type is fine to start out) and an ingredient kit. Pick a type of beer you like to drink and get a beginner style. Some people might disagree with me, but you might want to avoid kits that say 'partial-mash' or 'mini-mash' for the first try. Let us know what style you like and we can help pick the kit, too. I would also strongly recommend that you choose a dry yeast for your first batch. Not only is it a lot easier, you also get more yeast for the money.Finally, if startup price is not an object and you want to get almost everything at once, get an immersion chiller like one of these. You definitely don't need it right away, but if you keep brewing you will probably buy one within the first year or so.

#6 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMosul, Iraq for now stationed at Ft Stewart, Ga trying to go to Ft Lewis, Wa

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

Thank you all! I am actually not going to start brewing right away because I am currently in Mosul, Iraq. I am supposed to return to the States in November (that being said, it's the Army, times change a lot lol). I have a cube ice chest, and a very large ice chest both, because I enjoy camping. So ice chests are no big deal. The only reason that I was thinking about going with the kit with the two better bottles is because my girl doesn't like dark beer and I do lol. So I figured that if I could make two batches at the same time, or close to, then we would both be happy. I have read the first three or four chapters of John Palmer's book. I started getting lost and haven't gotten back into reading it yet. I think it would be easier if I had a paper copy too which was part of the reason I was leaning more toward the Rebel Brewer kit. Money isn't particularly a large issue. I figure if I spend $250 to get started it won't hurt me financially. I was also planning on getting a 7 gallon kettle from what I read on brewboard. That is also how I found out about Brews Bros, although it did show up on Google IIRC. I am also really excited because I was talking to my girl about brewing and her parents want to start brewing with me. I figured I would probably buy them the cheapest starter kit since I will have most of the other items.My favorite beer is probably Tecate. I also like Guinness, Amber Bock, and Negra Modelo (I am originally from Az). I was thinking about getting this oatmeal stout (extract) kit for my first kit, I had an oatmeal stout at Duclaw (sp?) in Maryland once and it was really tasty!My girl really likes Blue Moon and Pacifico.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

Thank you all! I am actually not going to start brewing right away because I am currently in Mosul, Iraq. I am supposed to return to the States in November (that being said, it's the Army, times change a lot lol). I have a cube ice chest, and a very large ice chest both, because I enjoy camping. So ice chests are no big deal. The only reason that I was thinking about going with the kit with the two better bottles is because my girl doesn't like dark beer and I do lol. So I figured that if I could make two batches at the same time, or close to, then we would both be happy. I have read the first three or four chapters of John Palmer's book. I started getting lost and haven't gotten back into reading it yet. I think it would be easier if I had a paper copy too which was part of the reason I was leaning more toward the Rebel Brewer kit. Money isn't particularly a large issue. I figure if I spend $250 to get started it won't hurt me financially. I was also planning on getting a 7 gallon kettle from what I read on brewboard. That is also how I found out about Brews Bros, although it did show up on Google IIRC. I am also really excited because I was talking to my girl about brewing and her parents want to start brewing with me. I figured I would probably buy them the cheapest starter kit since I will have most of the other items.My favorite beer is probably Tecate. I also like Guinness, Amber Bock, and Negra Modelo (I am originally from Az). I was thinking about getting this oatmeal stout (extract) kit for my first kit, I had an oatmeal stout at Duclaw (sp?) in Maryland once and it was really tasty!My girl really likes Blue Moon and Pacifico.

If you can, get a 10 gallon kettle. I have one and it's a good size for making 5 gallon batches. I start with 7 gallons and I still have a little bit of headspace which helps avoid boil-overs.

#8 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

Where do you get a 10 gallon kettle? Will they sell it at Walmart? I would think so but my understanding was the 7 was the one use for boiling turkeys so I knew that it would be easy to come by.

#9 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48033 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

You start getting into really big kettles like ten gallons and you have to think about how you're going to fire them. Stoves generally don't do well with more than 4 gallons or so of liquid. That said, getting a bigger one doesn't hurt and you can always boil 4 gallons in a 7 gallon kettle to start.Unfortunately, none of the beer you listed are going to be beginner kits, although you can make a decent stout by just steeping grains. (I don't know anything about Rebel Brewer, but kit looks like it has amber malt extract and it wouldn't be my first choice. Also, if it has oatmeal, it will need to be partial mashed. Not impossible, and we can help you if you decide to go that way, but not the easiest start either.) Most of those brews you listed are lagers. Lagers are harder in lots of ways and you should definitely start with an ale first. Something like an American amber ale, or American Pale ale, Belgian wit beer (Blue Mooon is based on this style.), English brown (Newcastle-ish), Scottish ale, etc would be an easier start. I don't mean to discourage you, but you will probably be much more successful the first time if you choose an ale.

#10 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:22 PM

Would a hefeweizen be a better start? I have had a few of those and I can't think of one that I didn't like! I do realize that I like lagers though lol. I have no idea how to keep down around 70 degrees (if I'm not mistaken) during the fermenting stage though. I also thought about using a propane burner deal for the boiling part...not sure what the best way is but that is why I found a forum!

Edited by SnailPowered, 22 May 2010 - 06:23 PM.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

Would a hefeweizen be a better start? I have had a few of those and I can't think of one that I didn't like! I do realize that I like lagers though lol. I have no idea how to keep down around 70 degrees (if I'm not mistaken) during the fermenting stage though. I also thought about using a propane burner deal for the boiling part...not sure what the best way is but that is why I found a forum!

Hefs are pretty easy and fast.

#12 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

First off, Thank you for your service! Second, welcome aboard!A turkey fryer setup is tough to beat for out of the box and full boil capable. Spend the extra on the turkey fryer setup and get a burner that can later accommodate a 10-15 gallon kettle and you'll have room to grow. The Bayou classic is a popular and very good burner. Sure a 10-15 gallon boil kettle makes life easier but you can live with a 7 gallon and when you upgrade I'm sure you'll find a use for the 7 gallon. I know I still have mine.If you like the style then a hefeweizen is a great beer to start with. It's very forgiving if you don't have good temperature control. As you noted lagers are the least forgiving. Like George was saying, particularly for your first couple brews, pick styles that are not as complex. The first couple beers I brewed I think were more mentally draining than physically draining because I was overthinking everything. Once I got a couple under my belt and was comfortable with the process then I started to branch out.All in all sounds like you've got a good idea what you're doing.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

Welcome!As an advanced noob myself I can tell you that starting with full boils is a BIG plus. You CAN do it on the stove, it takes some time, and two burners, but its possible.Kettle: Do yourself a favor and get a kettle that can hold ten gallons. Boilovers are a nightmare on a stove and with a ten gallon pot you are much less likely for it to happen. If you can get one with a spigot, then thats even better.As stated above: read How to Brew, many, many times. I'm in the middle of my 9th batch right now and I have already gone back to it as a reference today.Most importantly, be patient and HAVE FUN!Cheers,Rich

#14 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48033 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hefe is fine to start out, although you'll probably want liquid yeast for that. (I've never found a dry hefe yeast that I've liked.) Hefe can also deal with higher temps, as long as you're tolerant of more bubblegum flavors. Are you thinking of brewing while you're still in Iraq? Is that legal there? Keeping fermentation temps down is what the cooler is for. You put the fermentor in the cooler in a water bath and use frozen 20oz soda bottles to keep it cool while it ferments. It's relatively easy.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

Hefe is fine to start out, although you'll probably want liquid yeast for that. (I've never found a dry hefe yeast that I've liked.) Hefe can also deal with higher temps, as long as you're tolerant of more bubblegum flavors. Are you thinking of brewing while you're still in Iraq? Is that legal there? Keeping fermentation temps down is what the cooler is for. You put the fermentor in the cooler in a water bath and use frozen 20oz soda bottles to keep it cool while it ferments. It's relatively easy.

I think we should know if he's making an american hef or a real german hef. If the latter I agree that liquid yeast is the way to go. The former I think that nottingham could get the job done.

#16 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48033 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

I think we should know if he's making an american hef or a real german hef. If the latter I agree that liquid yeast is the way to go. The former I think that nottingham could get the job done.

Agreed.

#17 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

Welcome and I would mention to hook up w/ Connie and Chauvan but they are headed to Hiwaii.You can make decent beer w/ a Zap-Pap (2 plastic buckets with holes drilled in one) too if you do not want to spend a lot of money. Extracts are a great way to get started. I was doing liquid unhopped extracts and got hooked bad. I went from extract to all-grain. I can say the biggest improvement most new brewers can make is to do full-boils instead of partials.If you can score good turkey fryer kit that has a 7 gallon pot and high pressure Lp regulator (the red one) you are home free. W/ a good insulated cooler and a SS braided toilet water line you can do all-grain. If you like lagers you can do a Steam using 2112 yeast, ferment @ ale temps and have a pseudo lager. They are best if you can ferment cooler but they work at 70*F.Liuke George said you can get a swamp bucket drape a Tshirt over the fermenter add a couple frozen 20oz. soda bottles ever day add a fan and you can easily keep your temps in the range.If you can get a keg you can cut the top off and remove the spear and have a 15.5 gallon kettle. Add a weld-less fitting (see FAQ, the how too is there right George?) and a ball valve and you are set! :frank: :)

#18 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:42 PM

I can't brew while I am in Iraq. Although that would be super sweet because I could really go for a cold beer lol. I plan on starting when I get back. So the Brewing Starter Kit from Midwest is probably the best way to go? And then add in a kettle, Midwest has a 7.5 for $80, a burner and an ingredient kit and I should be off and running? Right now is all about the planning stage for me, figure out what it will all cost and then set aside the money so that I can order it all either shortly before I return home or shortly after. I think I will order John Palmer's book and have it shipped over here so I can read it cover to cover. I was also thinking about getting The Brewmaster's Bible as another book. Any recommendations? I really look forward to starting, all of your helpful advice is GREATLY appreciated and is certainly fueling my desire to get into this hobby! Thank you all! I am pretty sure that I have a keg sitting in my storage unit in Ga that I could sacrifice as a kettle. I was also thinking that an amber ale would be something that I would like. I do like Dos Equis (XX) Amber quite a bit and I believe that is what it is. As far as the hefe goes, I would do whatever was recommended to me by the people that know what they are talking about!

Edited by SnailPowered, 22 May 2010 - 07:47 PM.

#19 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48033 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

... I was also thinking about getting The Brewmaster's Bible as another book. Any recommendations? I really look forward to starting, all of your helpful advice is GREATLY appreciated and is certainly fueling my desire to get into this hobby! Thank you all!

I'm not crazy about that book. I think it is a bit dated, honestly. It won't hurt anything, but if there is a conflict, I would believe John Palmer.A couple of other books I would recommend would be Palmer's and Zainasheff's Brewing Classic Styles, Ray Daniels's Designing Great Beers (when you're ready to start making your own recipes), and Noonan's The New Brewing Lager Beer (when you're ready to move to lagers). They are sort of the Trinity of homebrew book, IMO. Might include Charlie Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing for nostalgia and so you can fit in at brew club meeting, but take the word of the other three books over Charlie.

#20 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Well, I think I will start with How To Brew and Brewing Classic Styles. After reading the how to on the keggle conversion I do have a slight question. The keg that I am pretty sure is in my storage is from my kegerator and is pretty much beyond ancient now. I think I had it for about two months before I deployed and now it is sitting in storage for an additional year. Will the place I got it from even want it back? I have no problems getting a keg the legitimate way, especially if it costs the same or less than buying one of those big old brew pots.Is there any difference in the amber ales and normal ales as far as brewing goes? Would it be easier to start with an amber than a hefe? Thank you again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users