#41 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48068 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

I don't think the rule is quite so hard and fast as "No sharing of published recipes ever." I don't think people should share recipes to avoid buying the book, but I also think people should be able to discuss published recipes-- and that often involves quoting them. When new brewers ask for help on the forums, the first question is usually, "What was your recipe?". If people never quoted published recipes on the internet, new brewers would have a lot of trouble getting help....

I don't disagree and if I was being questioned about a beer I'd brewed directly from Jamil's book, I'd almost certainly quote the recipe. I just probably wouldn't attribute it to him. (Which, I suppose could be viewed as even worse.) For instance, I wouldn't say "Jamil's Black Forest Stout" (I think that exists...cherry sweet stout?) and proceed to rattle off the recipe.Really, my biggest concern is Google as I said. If somebody googles "Jamil's Black Forest Stout" two years from now they aren't going to get a hit on my forum post just because it has the same ingredients listed if it doesn't have the name and author. IOW, they aren't going to be able to use Google to 'steal' the recipe without buying the book.

#42 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

In the context of where this discussion has headed, the Evil Twin recipe is posted all over the internet with Jamil's blessing. It's featured most predominately on his Mr.Malty website. Just sayin :crybaby:

#43 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:23 AM

I can see the problem with including Jamil's recipes, but as you say... it is a slippery slope. I mean, wasn't JPA offered as a kit over at HBA? Where do we draw the line?

Yeah, but that was with my permission — and I also give permission to post it far and wide.So there. :)

#44 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

Yeah, but that was with my permission — and I also give permission to post it far and wide.So there. :frank:

Glad to see you still kickin :frank: I've got some bottles of JPA around here somewhere...

#45 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25669 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

It stands for Japanese Pale Ale. It is an American IPA that was formulated by this mysterious guy named CJ in Japan. :frank: Just as mysterious is the recipe. There have been a number of different versions floating around, but this is the one I like and use. I wont promise I havent tweeked it slightly either, but I dont think I did much.CJ's JPA(See Lamont's post for recipe)

Yeah, but that was with my permission — and I also give permission to post it far and wide.So there. :frank:

IMHO the thing that makes the JPA standout is Northern Brewer hops for the bitterig addition. Noble hops against the citrus American hops are the bomb. Perle would probably work too. And the balance and complexity of the malt bill is cool.CJ, care to post your current prefferred JPA recipe?

#46 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

The JPA recipe that I kept going back to was the one that used to be available from Homebrew Adventures. I agree that Northern Brewer was a fantastic bittering hop in that beer — I tried others and always went back to NB. I always liked Perle as a bittering hop as well, so that would be a good substitute. (Unfortunately my brewery doesn’t have NB, so we had to use Magnum, which worked out okay.) Here’s pretty much what I did the last few times I brewed it:JPA (all grain)5.5 gallons in fermenterOG = 1.062 (~75% efficiency)FG = 1.016IBU = 62SRM = 7Grains11 lb Maris Otter4 oz wheat malt8 oz carapils8 oz caravienne4 oz caramunich8 oz aromatic(Optional: Substitute 2 lb of Munich for 2 lb of MO)Hops1.5 oz Northern Brewer for 60 min0.25 oz each of Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial for 45 min0.25 oz each of Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial for 30 min0.25 oz each of Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial for 15 min0.25 oz each of Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial for 5 min0.5 oz each of Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial at end of boil(Optional: Dry hop with 0.5 oz of Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial)YeastWyeast 1026 British Cask Ale or other British/English ale yeast(Optional: Wyeast 1056/WLP001, Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale)

#47 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25669 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

The JPA recipe that I kept going back to was the one that used to be available from Homebrew Adventures. I agree that Northern Brewer was a fantastic bittering hop in that beer — I tried others and always went back to NB. I always liked Perle as a bittering hop as well, so that would be a good substitute. (Unfortunately my brewery doesn’t have NB, so we had to use Magnum, which worked out okay.) Here’s pretty much what I did the last few times I brewed it:{look at previous post and find the entire recipe}

For me, this is the classic JPA recipe.Possible modifications? Bump up the OG some. Add some FWH, cent, amarillo & cascade.

#48 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:01 AM

My variations:1. Fresh hop= my Fresh Hop Event Horizon where a 20 lb. /bbl is not an excessive hoping rate.2. Peppered JPA, freeze concentrated by accident to 17% ABV. Ask a friend to help you finish the bottle.

#49 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

So I have finally given in to the peer pressure and decided to brew MLPA. While looking at the epic thread on it, I stared to think about the recipes on the internet or boards that seem to be the best of the best. So these are the ones that came to my mind, but what else needs to be on the list?(In no particular order)1. MLPA2. JPA3. Denny's Rye IPA4. Quiet Storm StoutI think liquid stupid is on the rise (and I have made it and love it) but I am not sure it is on the rock star list quite yet.

Sweet...glad to make the list ; :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users