#23 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

I've done 2 & 4. I've been wanting to try Liquid Stupid for awhile... someday soon perhaps.

#24 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14204 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

My BVIP recipe is very popular.

Man am I glad you got this in fairly quick, or I was going to have to give these guys a severe tongue lashing!! If you have not yet made this one, put it on your list, NOW!! I go through about 30 gals from Oct through Mar every year. This year I may make 40 gals cause I never seem to have any 'just laying around', it goes too fast. Awesome beer! :blush:

#25 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:13 AM

I have to confess I have never done the original BVIP. I have a great robust porter recipe that is a friend's family recipe. I have done the bourbon vanilla process to it like Denny's and it is great.

#26 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48068 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:34 AM

How old-school do you want to go? I'm not sure many people are making it right now, but there's Jeff Renner's Classic American Pilsner Your Father's Mustache. I made it once - catty Clusters and all - and still do a variation with hops I like better. Although since Palmer published it in HtB, maybe it's not strictly an internet recipe.

#27 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19239 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

How old-school do you want to go? I'm not sure many people are making it right now, but there's Jeff Renner's Classic American Pilsner Your Father's Mustache. I made it once - catty Clusters and all - and still do a variation with hops I like better. Although since Palmer published it in HtB, maybe it's not strictly an internet recipe.

That brings back some painful memories. I once lost six gallons of lagering YFM in a tragic minivan accident.

#28 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:22 AM

Oh man, nice pull. I did that one too... sort of... that was back in the day when I couldn't get my fermentation temps that low so I used an ale yeast.

#29 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29337 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

mike mcdoles american brown. I guess it is an internet recipe, but has also been published in brewing classic styles.Dre Beechum's champange beer, I think it is a rock star more because of process.

#30 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:57 AM

It stands for Japanese Pale Ale. It is an American IPA that was formulated by this mysterious guy named CJ in Japan. :frantic: ...

A gentleman of such renown he gets his own emoticon.

#31 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

Ohhhhh your right. That is another one. That means you have (at least) two on the list. You are the man, Denny.Revised list:1. MLPA2. JPA3. Denny's Rye IPA4. Quiet Storm Stout5. Sister Star of the Sun6. Liquid Stupid7. Apple Butter Ciser (ABC)8. Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

I've brewed 4 a lot and 6. My club did 70 gallons using the grain bill from 3 but hopped with cent, cascade & amarillo. Been wanting to do 8 for a while.

#32 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

How about Jamil's Evil Twin? I remember that one being popular a while back. I've made a few batches myself and used it as a base when formulating my Impy Oatmeal Red recipe.

#33 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:21 AM

Ohhhhh your right. ...

Would that be my left?

#34 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

Hmmmm Jamil's collection of recipes does sort of present an issue. Since I really only went at this list with a concept and little though, I am not sure how to treat them. I guess my idea was recipes from "normal guys and gals" on forums and the like that have kind of taken on a life of their own. I have a world of respect for Jamil and think he has done as much for homebrewing as anyone in the last few decades. But at the same time, he has internet radio shows and now a book of recipes that most would say sets the standard.All of this is to say I dont know if or should his stuff should be on the list becasue it is a slippery slope to just saying that the whole brewing classic styles book is on it as well. :crybaby:

#35 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48068 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

Hmmmm Jamil's collection of recipes does sort of present an issue. Since I really only went at this list with a concept and little though, I am not sure how to treat them. I guess my idea was recipes from "normal guys and gals" on forums and the like that have kind of taken on a life of their own. I have a world of respect for Jamil and think he has done as much for homebrewing as anyone in the last few decades. But at the same time, he has internet radio shows and now a book of recipes that most would say sets the standard.All of this is to say I dont know if or should his stuff should be on the list becasue it is a slippery slope to just saying that the whole brewing classic styles book is on it as well. :crybaby:

I wouldn't include the majority of Jamil's recipes simply because they are in a book. By definition copyrighted and not shareable on the web (unless he does it as on the BN).

#36 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

I can see the problem with including Jamil's recipes, but as you say... it is a slippery slope. I mean, wasn't JPA offered as a kit over at HBA? Where do we draw the line? Not trying to make something fun all complicated with red tape or anything though. Honorable mention category? :crybaby:

#37 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

I wouldn't include the majority of Jamil's recipes simply because they are in a book. By definition copyrighted and not shareable on the web (unless he does it as on the BN).

Your post made me wonder...Here is the text from the U.S. Copyright office: See FL 122. (https://lcweb.loc.go...right/fls/fl122) 29. How do I protect my recipe? A mere listing of ingredients is not protected under copyright law. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a collection of recipes as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection. It looks like you could post the ingredients to any recipe, published or not. When you get into the process is where you could get into trouble.

#38 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48068 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

Your post made me wonder...Here is the text from the U.S. Copyright office: See FL 122. (https://lcweb.loc.go...right/fls/fl122) 29. How do I protect my recipe? A mere listing of ingredients is not protected under copyright law. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a collection of recipes as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection. It looks like you could post the ingredients to any recipe, published or not. When you get into the process is where you could get into trouble.

I'm not qualified to state an opinion on the actual law, but I will say that as a matter of respect every brewing board I've ever frequented has made posting published recipes taboo. The exception would be if the author does the posting as was the case with the JPA. (Actually, IIRC, CJ posted the recipe to the green board first and it was so popular that the shop started selling it later.) Not so much that it is against the rules, per se, but it's just something that isn't done. The homebrewing community as a whole is pretty friendly and the general feeling, IMO, is to protect the authors. Now I will PM a published recipe to another member if asked - and I've asked for similar myself before when away from my books - but I won't post a recipe on the open forum where Google spiders can get at it. Google is too good at finding things and it might end up that it's not even members who access the recipe later on.

#39 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19239 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

This could raise a storm of large proportions, but my understanding is that recipes can't be copyrighted and can be shared on the web. You can copyright a collection of recipes, but I don't think individual recipes are typically protected.from the gubmint

Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection

#40 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19239 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

I'm not qualified to state an opinion on the actual law, but I will say that as a matter of respect every brewing board I've ever frequented has made posting published recipes taboo.

I don't think the rule is quite so hard and fast as "No sharing of published recipes ever." I don't think people should share recipes to avoid buying the book, but I also think people should be able to discuss published recipes-- and that often involves quoting them. When new brewers ask for help on the forums, the first question is usually, "What was your recipe?". If people never quoted published recipes on the internet, new brewers would have a lot of trouble getting help.Now, the question is whether Jamil's recipes should count for the Internet Rock Star list. I personally think that, to be an "internet rock star", a recipe has to have been on the internet for a while, so it wouldn't be posted in this forum-- just linked to. So, if Jamil's recipes are already out there, they should be eligible, but if they first came out in a book, I think we should revoke their eligibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users