55 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Chinook. Feels like you dragged a handsaw across your tongue for 30 minutes. Ack! Wrong. :smilielol:

#22 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

Chinook. Feels like you dragged a handsaw across your tongue for 30 minutes. Ack! Wrong. :smilielol:

I figured this hop would be high on the list, and was surprised that it wasn't.Personally, I am a big chinook fan, but I know lots of people who hate it.BrewBasser

#23 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11689 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

Fuggles and willamette. Maybe EKG is the only british hop I can stand.

#24 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

i personally love Fuggles.... such a damn good hop!

#25 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

I think there is a hops variety that I don't like, but I haven't brewed with it yet so I'm not sure. There is a flavor that I believe is from hops in a beer I tried that I didn't really like. Wish I could remember the beer though, this was years ago.

#26 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

I hated the cluster for a long time , finally used it all up (great bittering hop) however im avoiding the Pacific Gem for now. I have two ounces left and dont know if i should dump it or use it sometime. I have 13 ounces in my inventory , and want to empty them all before i start new.

#27 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:10 PM

hmmmi think i would have to choose chinook.... never really had a good chinook beer.

Sure you have... it's called Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

#28 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

Galena. the bitterness lingers on the tongue and becomes nasty.

#29 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64125 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

Willamette. Every beer I have ever brewed with it turns out overly sweet. I dont know why this is but it only happens with this hop.

What were you using it as? I like it as an aroma addition, not so much for bittering/flavor.

#30 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:39 AM

Galena. the bitterness lingers on the tongue and becomes nasty.

yup. even sticking my nose into a bunch of galena makes me wonder why you would ever put that in your beer.

#31 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:34 AM

What were you using it as? I like it as an aroma addition, not so much for bittering/flavor.

I'm with you on the aroma option here - never tried it as bittering.

#32 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:15 AM

Soriachi Ace - Like lemon in your beer. now in a Hefe, this could get interesting.Also not a big Simcoe fan.

#33 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

Cascade :smilielol:

I'm surprised someone else feels the same way I do. :)I won't go so far as to say I hate cascade, but I'll choose just about anything else over it.

#34 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35406 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:57 AM

Fuggles... Always make my beers taste grassy...Its odd because I like Willamette, for whatever reason although they are supposedly almost the same, I dont find Willamettes to taste anything like Fuggles...

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:09 AM

This surprises me a little because these hops are pretty wimpy, in general. I have been making some English Ales lately and I have to say that I cannot get enough of this combination of Kent Goldings and Styrian Goldings (and this from a German hop fan!). Hmm, maybe this should have been posted in the Hops That You Love thread. :smilielol:

#36 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:46 AM

I've never come across a hop I hated, as long as it was used appropriately. For example, if Chinook is used only for early hop additions, it modest quantities, I find it can give a pleasant quality to a dark ale. If you blast a pale ale with it throughout the boil, or dry hop with, it will taste like battery acid. Likewise, if you add large amounts of fuggles to a light ale late in the boil, you are sure to get grassiness. If Fuggles is used in early or middle hop additions, in smaller amounts, it can give a perfect spiciness to a dark ale.I've had mixed results with Columbus hops. At times I've gotten a wonderful citrus quality from it, but at other times, I have picked up that cat pee quality that people talk about. I've wondered if it has something to do with the relative freshness of the hops. As I understand it, there are certain qualities you will get from hops (not always bad) that depend on some oxidation of some of the chemical components, especially the spicy quality it gives to beer.I'm not aware of ever trying a beer that used Cluster hops, but I've heard frequently that that hop really has no redeeming qualities.

#37 nitroglycerin11

nitroglycerin11

Comptroller of Bulgaria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

For me it is Spalt of the US persuasion. My Kolsch just never was the same when using US spalt as compared to a Tettnang/Saaz combo. Stupid hop shortage.

#38 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

I have yet to meet a hop I didn't like, but I am sure I will eventually. I haven't used them all yet.

+1I may say Sorachi Ace, however I have only made one brew with them. They did not turn out overly lemon like some say, but the aroma is not great at all. I got them and the grain i used for free so I can't complain. I am aging the ones I have left for at least a year so we'll see how it mellows.

#39 LoveThemBrowns

LoveThemBrowns

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

I'm going to have to say that I've liked most hops I've had / used, but the only one that I can think of that make me stand up and say "yuck" was Simcoe. Just didn't like it.men can say "yuck," right?

#40 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

men can say "yuck," right?

sure! just not about simcoe!!! :smilielol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users