#21 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

Correct. I have a couple of threads with iffy poppets that force me to connect a QD if I want to use those kegs.The gas line to QD connection IS an NPT fitting and could benefit from teflon tape.However, 2 lbs over five days may not be a leak. Was there any liquid in the keg that could have absorbed some of the CO2? Ultimately, you should be able to find any leak of consequence by spraying everything down with starsan or soap solution and looking for bubbles.

The gas line to QD connection is usually a flare or barb fitting. The flare fittings are also straight thread. They do make teflon gaskets for the flare fittings though. I have some, but I rarely need them.

#22 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

One of my ball locks needs it on the PRV

#23 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

I use a small 6" adjustable crescent wrench to reshape the opening. Adjust the wrench so it will just slide over the edge and bend the opening in or out to fit the lid.I have never been able to bend the lid legs at all. Any tips?

#24 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

I use a small 6" adjustable crescent wrench to reshape the opening. Adjust the wrench so it will just slide over the edge and bend the opening in or out to fit the lid.I have never been able to bend the lid legs at all. Any tips?

I usually put a shim under the legs if they're a little loose.

#25 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:29 AM

A number of my kegs had dents in the lid area and they did leak. I guess it comes from them stacking kegs without lids on. The bottom of another one slips down and bangs that area, denting it. I keep a 18" section of old oak broom handle for that reason. Place at the point of depression and pry against the handle ring. So far I've managed to recover all my kegs and no longer need the 1/16" thicker O ring, the p/n of which BTW is in the FAQs.

#26 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:37 AM

I tried the adjustable wrench idea and still had a slight leak. I then put shims under the feet and that seems to work. Now I have a new problem, it looks like a light rust is on the dip tube and a little on the wall of the keg. Is there any fix for that? If not I'm considering to see what a junk yard will pay for the stainless...Oh well the other 11 kegs are all in good shape!

#27 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

bar keeper's friend does wonders for rust and repassivating stainless. I use it to clean up my kegs on the inside as well as outside.

#28 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

bar keeper's friend

Should be called corny keeper's friend. Will make a keg shine like new!

#29 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

One of my ball locks needs it on the PRV

Doesn't the PRV just have a rubber seat that is spring loaded to seal at the bottom?

#30 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

Doesn't the PRV just have a rubber seat that is spring loaded to seal at the bottom?

This would be an "official" nevermind.....................Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users