• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

How do the keggers out there ensure an air-tight seal with your kegs? I'm planning on using kegging lube on the o-rings and maybe teflon tape around the threading areas. Anyone recommend using the tape?

#2 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

You should not have to use tape. I tend to think that it would cause more issues than solve. If you feel that you need to use tape to seal, then you probably need to replace something, either a gasket, a poppet, or possibly a post or lid.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

I have never tried or used teflon tape in any of my kegs. I do use keg lube on the seals but thats about it. Once I get a beer into them I hit it with CO2 and drip soapy water to look for bubbles and get my ears close to hear for any air noises. To answer your question of the teflon tape if you wanna use it I don't think there is a problem with it. I don't think its required but you can use it if you choose.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64115 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:48 PM

There isn't anywhere on a corny that using teflon tape would help you. The post threads are straight threads and not meant for sealing. Teflon tape is used on tapered threads (e.g. NPT) that are meant to act as a pressure seal. All the pressure seals in a corny are compressed rubber.

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48001 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

There isn't anywhere on a corny that using teflon tape would help you. The post threads are straight threads and not meant for sealing. Teflon tape is used on tapered threads (e.g. NPT) that are meant to act as a pressure seal. All the pressure seals in a corny are compressed rubber.

This. If you're leaking around the posts, replace the O-rings. As an aside, I've almost never had a leak around the posts. My problems are always getting the top to seal because the hole gets out of round.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64115 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

This. If you're leaking around the posts, replace the O-rings. As an aside, I've almost never had a leak around the posts. My problems are always getting the top to seal because the hole gets out of round.

+1. The lid is always the problem for me.

#7 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

As others have said, there is no need for Teflon tape when kegging. All sealing comes from o-rings and the poppets.The only time I've had a leak from a post was when I was an idiot and didn't tighten down the out post. The result:Posted ImageAnd no, the bottom of my chest freezer is not painted black. :D

#8 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

OUCH!

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:43 AM

+1. The lid is always the problem for me.

yeup - only time I've had to fiddle with something was the lid and it just required reseating it and all was right in the world.

#10 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:57 AM

I have had an errant poppet from time to time, but yet, the lid is the first suspect.

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:49 AM

... And no, the bottom of my chest freezer is not painted black. :D

It is now. :devil:And a stout too, Dang that hurts.FWIW, I've done the same thing.... once!

#12 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:25 AM

Theoretically would a poppet only be a problem if the disconnects weren't on? Otherwise there depressed anyways. Also when I was pressure testing my keg I had a leak where the gas line screwed into the disconnect. I screwed in real tight but still had a tiny leak somewhere (lost 2 psi over about 5 days). Should I lube this too?

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48001 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

Theoretically would a poppet only be a problem if the disconnects weren't on? Otherwise there depressed anyways. Also when I was pressure testing my keg I had a leak where the gas line screwed into the disconnect. I screwed in real tight but still had a tiny leak somewhere (lost 2 psi over about 5 days). Should I lube this too?

Correct. I have a couple of threads with iffy poppets that force me to connect a QD if I want to use those kegs.The gas line to QD connection IS an NPT fitting and could benefit from teflon tape.However, 2 lbs over five days may not be a leak. Was there any liquid in the keg that could have absorbed some of the CO2? Ultimately, you should be able to find any leak of consequence by spraying everything down with starsan or soap solution and looking for bubbles.

#14 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

I screwed in real tight but still had a tiny leak somewhere (lost 2 psi over about 5 days). Should I lube this too?

Do you mean there is a leak between your gas line and the QD itself even if it is not connected? If so, I would just cut off the QD and reattach an inch or so back on the line. Are you using a barbed swivel nut on the gas line and using the threaded end style QD (sounds like you do), if so there should be a little plastic gasket/washer that fits between the QD thread post and the swivel nut. They cost like $.10 a piece if you do not have one. https://www.northern...lon-washer.html I have also done a couple times broken down a keg and forgot to put the dip tube back in when reassembling it. they dont work so well without it.

#15 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

I have a keg that just won't seal even after replacing the o-ring. I do see the hole is out of round (oval) and was going to take a hammer to it to see if I can get it to seal again. Any advice on fixing the bad keg? Right now I have 11 good kegs which I've yet to have all filled, but I hate to see one of them on the IR list.

#16 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

Sounds like it is a good candidate for becoming a fermenter.

#17 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

Sounds like it is a good candidate for becoming a fermenter.

I agree I was thinking of using it to secondary beers and then realized I never secondary! I thought the o-ring would wear out but a brand new one still leaked. I know the used kegs I have the oval is never perfectly shaped on any of them. I try to already keep the same lid with the keg to avoid mismatches. I just don't understand how the shape changed that it no longer holds pressure.I'll wait a bit longer here for words of wisdom before I take a hammer to it!

#18 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:24 PM

What I have heard helps for some is to give the bale a bit more tension. The legs of the bale should have some plastic tips. You can try to use the top from two soda bottles, and put the legs in them, and use that to give the lid more upward pressure, so the soda bottle tops are sandwiched between the legs and the top part of the keg. I hope that makes sense.

#19 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8899 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

Have you tried the rubber band trick? Put a wide rubber band under the lid o-ring to compress it a little more. Usually cures it for me. A generous shot of keg lube helps too.

#20 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

What I have heard helps for some is to give the bale a bit more tension. The legs of the bale should have some plastic tips. You can try to use the top from two soda bottles, and put the legs in them, and use that to give the lid more upward pressure, so the soda bottle tops are sandwiched between the legs and the top part of the keg. I hope that makes sense.

I can try this and I know what you mean. This keg the legs make good contact and it takes a good effort to close it down. I do see a place where I can see more of the gasket so the hole and cover do not match up well there. Turning the cover 180 degrees is worse. That is why I think I need to re-shape the hole. Patrick, I can try this, but I'm usually against putting a gasket against another gasket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users