#41 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

shmgeggie, that's just awesome. I hope I can get some cones out of my first year planter. Looks like you can make a couple nice freshop ales.

#42 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

Hiya Dean.Looks good. I might have to try it too.-Rich

#43 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

shmgeggie, that's just awesome. I hope I can get some cones out of my first year planter. Looks like you can make a couple nice freshop ales.

That was last year's and I didn't do any freshop brews. This year, the shoots are just starting to poke out of the ground. I may try a freshop this year but I don't know, I'm not really sold on the whole concept.

#44 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

Just finished my trellis poles, and running the twine. I used chain link top rail, and attached it directly to my existing fencepostsEvery plant survived the cold winter we had, and they are looking strong, Cascade, and Centennial have 25+ shoots each, and the rest are looking healthy as well, just not as crazy.1 Sterling, 2 Centennials, 1 Cascade, 1 Willamette, 1 Zeus, 2 FugglesPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#45 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

That was last year's and I didn't do any freshop brews. This year, the shoots are just starting to poke out of the ground. I may try a freshop this year but I don't know, I'm not really sold on the whole concept.

I'm sold on the concept of less work and earlier returns. Why dry them out if I'm just going to get them wet again? Just means more waiting for me. Plus, then I can get on the freshop/wet hop bandwagon and say I've got that too :)

#46 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

My neighbor on the other side of my fence that I used for trellis poles, asked me if I was putting up a net to keep balls from flying over the fence. I thought that was pretty funny, but it brought up the topic of brewing, and he seemed interested in checking out my next brew day.

#47 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

I'm sold on the concept of less work and earlier returns. Why dry them out if I'm just going to get them wet again? Just means more waiting for me. Plus, then I can get on the freshop/wet hop bandwagon and say I've got that too :)

I've made one, and tried a couple others. there's something about them I don't "quite" like. Although I must agree with the "work smarter'' concept.I have read that the German noble hops are traditiionally aged for a few weeks at room temps prior to baling, this is supposed to develop the aromatics. I could be entirely incorrect on this though.

#48 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

So you know these are some of the best photos I could find even doing searches for hops vines rotating on the string. I never could understand why people would choose clock faces as a way of describing the way two strings intertwined in space. It was pretty obvious from the way the hops themselves grow, but I wanted to see them in action. The great irony of all this... the drawings on the hops page I was reading are the wrong direction: https://www.brewjobs...-gardening.html

I took some pictures yesterday of my babies:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Wrong direction drawing that actually describes it as clockwise in text:Posted Image

Edited by chuck_d, 19 April 2009 - 11:40 PM.

#49 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:48 AM

So you know these are some of the best photos I could find even doing searches for hops vines rotating on the string. I never could understand why people would choose clock faces as a way of describing the way two strings intertwined in space. It was pretty obvious from the way the hops themselves grow, but I wanted to see them in action. The great irony of all this... the drawings on the hops page I was reading are the wrong directionWrong direction drawing that actually describes it as clockwise in text:

My hops grow up a trellis and will flawlessly go over one board and under the next all the way to the top, no intervention required. Still find that amazing.and btw I covered my bines with large planter pots to protect them from the snow that hit CO this past week. Worked perfect. They were a little confused being covered for 2 days but perked right back up when I removed the planters and they could again see the sun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users