#21 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:51 AM

CB,When those hops fill in, that's going to be one really fine place to sit back and enjoy a pint.Please post photos when that happens.

#22 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28449 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

Yeah, I've read about that. I only want 2 shoots, growing in a planter and all. I need to get my string up tomorrow, the big shoot is laying down at 18" it grew so long while I was out of town.

If you've only got two shoots so far let them go. Also if you do prune anything you don't just take the leaves off you clip the whole bine near the base.

#23 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:23 AM

Yea Pods,The rain has stopped, the sun come out, the waters parted and I can see dry ground.Now to find out how long the bines are.

#24 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:35 AM

I have three bines on my second year, potted Cascade that are about two feet plus. I have brand new Galena and Golding that juuuuuuust barely poked through when I checked them last night. We have a couple days of hot weather coming in, so hopefully they will solidify themselves for the month of rain we'll probably get before summer.

#25 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

My hops are coming up with a vengeance despite being buried 4 times in snow storms since breaking ground. However they are calling for 10-24" of wet heavy snow to fall here by saturday. I am thinking I might need to do something to protect them this time around. :)

#26 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

My hops are coming up with a vengeance despite being buried 4 times in snow storms since breaking ground. However they are calling for 10-24" of wet heavy snow to fall here by saturday. I am thinking I might need to do something to protect them this time around. :)

You may want to throw some straw over them, but I have also seen hops growing through the snow in Germany without it effecting them

#27 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28449 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

Yea Pods,The rain has stopped, the sun come out, the waters parted and I can see dry ground.Now to find out how long the bines are.

Same here, its been sunny and I haven't bothered to go look at my historically neglected cascade plant in over a week. If I'm going to change our relationship this year I better start playing nice...

#28 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

I took some pictures yesterday of my babies:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#29 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

Took some new pics of mine just this morning.Posted Image

#30 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

Took some new pics of mine just this morning.

Mine's bigger.
:)

#31 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

Mine's bigger. :)

If I could ever figure out technology and take and post pictures, I'd make you drool! I have bines that are quarter inch in circumference! And I'm looking forward to some good Central Valley heat this summer!

#32 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

Anyone ever try growing these in florida?-rich

#33 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

If I could ever figure out technology and take and post pictures, I'd make you drool! I have bines that are quarter inch in circumference! And I'm looking forward to some good Central Valley heat this summer!

Yum!

#34 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

My understanding tropic and sub tropic climes are not good for hop growing.Something about too long of a season.

#35 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

My Glacier and Willamette are both up to about 8-10 inches, the Willamette has about 1o shoots coming out of the crown, I am still debating whether to prune.

Do ya' want me to post the pics of the one I didn't prune at all last year?

#36 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

Mine are growing in St Petersburg Florida. We'll see how they do the rest of the year, but they are going crazy now.Posted Image

#37 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

Do ya' want me to post the pics of the one I didn't prune at all last year?

Yes.

#38 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

I posted them on [ghost town] already but I'll do here too. Some folks thought this was climbing the tree on its own. It is not. I tied 4 pieces of twine to a nail as far up the tree as I could reach while standing on top of my step-ladder. On the back-side of the tree, the vines found an old clothesline that was dangling from a hook. Hops can not climb trees. The twine broke in a wind-storm but the vines were strong enough by then to support themselves by then. The result was 2 lbs of dried hops. This year, I'll prune to 3 vines per string and see how it does.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#39 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

I posted them on [ghost town] already but I'll do here too. Some folks thought this was climbing the tree on its own. It is not. I tied 4 pieces of twine to a nail as far up the tree as I could reach while standing on top of my step-ladder. On the back-side of the tree, the vines found an old clothesline that was dangling from a hook. Hops can not climb trees. The twine broke in a wind-storm but the vines were strong enough by then to support themselves by then. The result was 2 lbs of dried hops. This year, I'll prune to 3 vines per string and see how it does.

Wow. That's... wow.

#40 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

Posted Image

Straight out of a Stephen King novel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic