#1 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:58 PM

Growing HopsFull Moon HopsPosted ImageFull size pic on my site. The one shoot is about a foot now, I need to string it up but I was away for a week.Springtime HopsPosted Image

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:12 AM

Are those outside? Must be a lot warmer down your way if they are...

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:08 AM

That shot with the moon in the background is pretty cool! My hops survived the end of March blizzard and are coming up with vengeance. I will get a pic of them to post up. I again fear for them a little as there is a winter storm watch in effect (again) for this weekend. I'm gonna jinx it this time and say that it's going to miss us :rolf:

#4 buzhazzard

buzhazzard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

I still don't have anything coming up on mine. I think it may have bit the dust. I am going to give it another week and do a little digging if there is no activity.

#5 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:07 AM

I've got all three of my plants shooting up. They're all probably ~ 10" high. I need to prune back the extra shoots though...

#6 Cheatin Bastard

Cheatin Bastard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe Beach Los Angeles

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

Here in los angeles I only have sprouts.Barely forming leaves. I thought they got an earlier start last year.C.B

#7 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

Are those outside? Must be a lot warmer down your way if they are...

Nah, they are on a window sill in my home office/gym. I don't exactly have any outside ground available to me. Tonight's low is supposed to be 40*F.See the top & bottom of this thread for images of how the planter is setup.https://www.brews-br...p?showtopic=105

#8 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

Here's mine in my backyard last week. It's twice this size now and I planted another in a pot right beside it that is doing well.Posted Image

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

Nice to see the hops starting to grow up too. I should be planting mine this week too. First year so this should be fun. Hope they produce well for all of you.

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

Here's mine in my backyard last week. It's twice this size now and I planted another in a pot right beside it that is doing well.Posted Image

Is this a first year hop? Only reason I ask is because my 2nd year hop is going gangbusters and came out of the ground with extremely strong shoots.

#11 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:31 PM

Is this a first year hop? Only reason I ask is because my 2nd year hop is going gangbusters and came out of the ground with extremely strong shoots.

Yep, first year hop with only one shoot from each rhizome, even though there were about 3 nubs on each rhizome when planted. Temps have hit over 80f lately, so everything is starting to grow.

#12 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28449 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

I have a poor abused plant in a large pot that has been moved around and never really given attention over the last few years. But I see this year its already firing off some nice sprouts so maybe I'll give it a fighting chance at producing some cones this year...

#13 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

Yep, first year hop with only one shoot from each rhizome, even though there were about 3 nubs on each rhizome when planted. Temps have hit over 80f lately, so everything is starting to grow.

Baby those plants this year and you will be rewarded next year. I had 1 plant survive last year (mt. hood) and got 1/4 ounce off of it. I'm hoping for more this year, but am also planting 4 more rhizomes.

#14 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

I'll be lucky if mine break ground by May. We are still hovering around the freezing mark yet.

#15 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

All of mine are up. I have 13 varieties this year. my Fuggle Tettnanger and Zeus are doing the best. As soon as my battery in the camera charges back up I will drop a couple of pics

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

My Glacier and Willamette are both up to about 8-10 inches, the Willamette has about 1o shoots coming out of the crown, I am still debating whether to prune.

#17 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

Do people prune the leaves off of slow growing shoots? One shoot is 18" while the other is 5". I'm curious if I should prune the smaller one to get it to grow longer or just be patient.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:33 PM

Do people prune the leaves off of slow growing shoots? One shoot is 18" while the other is 5". I'm curious if I should prune the smaller one to get it to grow longer or just be patient.

be patient, the pruning I was speaking of at least was thinning back the shots from 10 to just 3 or 4.

#19 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

All of mine are up. I have 13 varieties this year. my Fuggle Tettnanger and Zeus are doing the best. As soon as my battery in the camera charges back up I will drop a couple of pics

Allright here is a few pics of the Beer Garden (under construction) and my hops sproutingPosted ImageHere are my Tettnanger which are doing the best so far.Posted ImageHere are my Zeus comming upPosted ImageThe overall Beer GardenPosted Image

#20 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

I love that set up you have CB, it's gonna be sweet when those vines are providing some shade.

be patient, the pruning I was speaking of at least was thinning back the shots from 10 to just 3 or 4.

Yeah, I've read about that. I only want 2 shoots, growing in a planter and all. I need to get my string up tomorrow, the big shoot is laying down at 18" it grew so long while I was out of town.

Edited by chuck_d, 15 April 2009 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users