49 replies to this topic

#41 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:18 AM

Brewing this tomorrow. The Munich malt I'm using is mostly Weyermann Type II, with some from Global Malt. The Dark Munich is 15 lov from Global Malt...just got this in, first time using it. 6 gallons 1.052 21 SRM 21.3 IBUs 9 lb Munich Malt 1.5 lb Dark Munich Malt 7 oz Carafa Special II Mash @ 152 F 1.1 oz Mittelfruh - 60 min 0.2 oz Mittelfruh - 15 min 0.2 oz Mittelfruh - 5 min WLP 838 Southern German Lager @ 49 F

Looks good - it would be nice to have some dark munich malts in my inventory but to keep my cost per batch down I just work with what I have usually. I'll be interested to see what you think of the late addition MF. I wonder how close it will be to my FWH addition taste wise.

#42 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:31 AM

Just pulled this out of the lagering fridge for a brief stint in my kegerator. First glass was a little yeasty but the second is less so (that's what I get for going straight to the keg out of primary!). I think the debittered black might be lending a slight roasty aroma but I'm not really tasting it. So maybe not right in line BJCP-wise but a very tasty beer all the same. It tastes similar to my Dunkelweizen which I suppose makes sense. It just lacks the yeast funk :devil:

#43 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

Nice to hear zym! You're making my mouth water... Time for me to go brew!

#44 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:20 AM

Nice to hear zym! You're making my mouth water... Time for me to go brew!

this stuff has tons of mouthfeel. between the carapils and the munich this is like liquid bread and so very smooth.

#45 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

Just doughed in on a dunkel.5 kg (11 lb) Munich Malt2 oz Hallertau @ 60Wyeast 2206 Doing a single decoction on this one. Super stoked, the sun is shining so I'm getting my propane burner out and brewing on the porch.:chug:

#46 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

Just doughed in on a dunkel. 5 kg (11 lb) Munich Malt 2 oz Hallertau @ 60 Wyeast 2206 Doing a single decoction on this one. Super stoked, the sun is shining so I'm getting my propane burner out and brewing on the porch. :chug:

is your munich malt really dark or will a single decoction be enough to darken it up? (never done a decoction so I don't really know how much darkness it adds)

#47 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

I the calculator, with the munich 10L I have I should hit 12 SRM without the decoction, and I am shooting for about 20 SRM with the decoction. I think it's possible - I'm decocting for about 30 minutes to get it up to mashout. I've never done decoction before but I wanted to try - I don't have access to any debittered roasted malts so I am trying to avoid getting roast flavours in it and try out a new technique. I'm decocting right now. :chug:

I am doing a simple version of this (no protein rest):
Posted Image

#48 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

I'm not sure if you're going to gain 8 SRM with a decoction. I'd done decoctions before on beers like Hefeweizens and Dortmunder Exports, and I don't believe they got significantly darker from that technique. But you should be fine though, just on the lighter end of the range. And you know, I've had German Dunkels that were copper colored before.As a side note, I've been drinking the Dunkel I brewed pretty heavily lately. Turned out awesome.

#49 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

I'm not sure if you're going to gain 8 SRM with a decoction. I'd done decoctions before on beers like Hefeweizens and Dortmunder Exports, and I don't believe they got significantly darker from that technique. But you should be fine though, just on the lighter end of the range. And you know, I've had German Dunkels that were copper colored before. As a side note, I've been drinking the Dunkel I brewed pretty heavily lately. Turned out awesome.

I did a 40 minute boil on the decoction and got a TON of colour out of it. It's probably not quite 20 but I think I probably got 6 SRM out of it. The boil length changes the colour, on a hefe or another light beer I assume the decoction boil length would be closer to 10 minutes instead of 40. :chug: tastes amazing, this one is going to be awesome.

#50 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

I will be doughing -in in the morning. Been dying to do a Dunkel for quite some time.So here it goes:Batch Size: 6.50 gal Boil Size: 9.00 galEstimated OG: 1.057 SGEstimated Color: 18.9 SRMEstimated IBU: 23.8 IBUBrewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %Boil Time: 90 MinutesIngredients:------------Amount Item Type % or IBU 6 lbs Munich II (Weyermann) (9.0 SRM) Grain 44.86 % 5 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) (6.0 SRM) Grain 37.38 % 2 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.95 % 6.0 oz Carafa III (Weyermann) (470.0 SRM) Grain 2.80 % 68.80 gm Tettnang [3.20 %] (90 min) Hops 23.8 IBU 1 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124)I will be doing a decoction mash on this one. I'm just not sure of which temps to hit that will enhance the final beer the best!? example: would a 122 - 133 degree rest be needed (benefit)? Would I be better off just doing a double rest at a 140 - 148 degree Beta rest and then decocting to a high 155 - 158 Alpha rest? Or to keep it simple like Earthtone did, just a long boil for a mashout step? I stopped doing decoctions because of trying to hit temps can be a real pain in the ass. Any advice out there??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users