49 replies to this topic

#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

updated recipe:GRAINS:10lbs Munich Malt (7L)0.4lbs Debittered Black (412L)0.25lbs Carapils (2L)Mash around 153F for 60 minsHOPS:0.5oz Hallertau MF - FWH0.6oz German Magnum - 60 minYEAST:Wyeast Munich Lager (2308)SPECS:SRM: 21.2OG: 1.0547IBU: 27 (perceived, FWH addition calculated like a 20 min addition)

#22 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

Enough discussion... Brew it! :stabby:

#23 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:53 AM

Enough discussion... Brew it! :)

the yeast starter was made last night so probably sometime between x-mas and new years :stabby:

#24 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:56 AM

Have you ever used that kind of quantity in a beer before? I put Zym's recipe in promash using the color levels he provided, and it gives me around 23 SRM, which is well within the acceptable range for this style. Sure it's going to have some flavor, any malt you add to the beer is going to have that. But it won't give you significant roasty or bitter flavors, which is why these types of malts are so commonly used in dunkels, schwarzbiers, and generally any beer you want to color without contributing roasty flavors.

I can only speak to carafa special III. To me it does have a distinctive flavor even at a few ounces. It is not unpleasant but noticable. As for color, I grind mine finely and add it at the end of the mash. I get a lot more actual color than the number I get from promash. Just my $.02 Zym: Recipe looks great, let us know how it turns out.

#25 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:41 AM

I can only speak to carafa special III. To me it does have a distinctive flavor even at a few ounces. It is not unpleasant but noticable. As for color, I grind mine finely and add it at the end of the mash. I get a lot more actual color than the number I get from promash. Just my $.02 Zym: Recipe looks great, let us know how it turns out.

worst case it's slightly out of style but still delicious right?

#26 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

hydro sample tastes pretty good...

#27 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:58 AM

Nice. What's the gravity at?

#28 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:15 AM

Nice. What's the gravity at?

About 1.017ish right now so I've started the d-rest (mentioned in other thread). I couldn't really detect any roastiness so I think we are good to go on that front.

#29 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Glad to hear Zym! Sounds like it will be nice and malty with that gravity. Waiting for the final verdict after you carb and lager it a bit longer.

#30 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:32 AM

Glad to hear Zym! Sounds like it will be nice and malty with that gravity. Waiting for the final verdict after you carb and lager it a bit longer.

more like lager at all :cheers: I think it will probably drop down a couple points from where it's at now (due to the d-rest) but not much. I want to lager at least a month but 2-3 would probably be ideal I'm guessing.

#31 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:11 AM

more like lager at all :cheers: I think it will probably drop down a couple points from where it's at now (due to the d-rest) but not much. I want to lager at least a month but 2-3 would probably be ideal I'm guessing.

I would suggest to lager for a month. Thats the minimum that I do mine at too. If you wanted to go longer I don't think it will hurt, (brewer's choice). I brewed 10 gallons of Oktoberfest back in Aug of 09 and I still have 5 gallons lagering and untapped. I am not worried about mine and I doubt a longer lager period won't hurt too. There was a discussion about length of lagering back a short bit ago you might be able to search and find. Cheers.

#32 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:16 AM

I'm with ncbeerbrewer. 4 weeks seems to be the point where everything start melding and where the taste is right on! My Dunkel was the first lager I made and I started drinking it after fermentation. Just wasn't good and I was afraid that it was a bad brew. But I gave it time, tasting a couple times a week. At the 4 week mark, damn it was great!

#33 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:35 AM

I'm with ncbeerbrewer. 4 weeks seems to be the point where everything start melding and where the taste is right on! My Dunkel was the first lager I made and I started drinking it after fermentation. Just wasn't good and I was afraid that it was a bad brew. But I gave it time, tasting a couple times a week. At the 4 week mark, damn it was great!

It will likely be longer than that simply do to the fact that I have older beer that will be consumed first but we shall see :cheers:

#34 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:04 AM

Zym. I brewed this style last night. After reading this discusion and having the Hella Bock strain on hand for a repitch I had ingredients so I brewed this last night. I came in at 1.053. We will have to compare notes but I like how this one went so far too: Here is my recipe:Type: All GrainDate: 1/9/2010 Batch Size: 5.25 galIngredientsAmount Item Type % or IBU 10.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 97.67 % 0.25 lb Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM) Grain 2.33 % 0.50 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 20.2 IBU 1.00 oz Hallertauer [3.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.6 IBU 1 Pkgs Hella Bock (Wyeast Labs #2487) Yeast-Lager Mashed at 154Measured Original Gravity: 1.053 SG Bitterness: 23.9 IBU Est Color: 15.2 SRM

#35 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

Since I ended up with more than 5 gallons to keg I put some of this beer in a 2L and I've been trying to get it carbed up with my carbonator cap. It's still pretty hazy and obviously hasn't lagered for any significant amount of time but I think this will be a great beer. It's DARK. The edges of the glass are a nice reddish color though. It seems to have a nice thick mouthfeel and is very malty. There is still a little bit of funk which I'll blame on the lack of lagering but once this thing gets a chance to age it will be good to go I think. The 2L was filled from the end of my primary so it has a decent amount of yeast settled out of it already. I'm hoping the keg won't be this bad as far as yeast sediment :D

#36 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

another thing to note: my FG was a little high (1.017). I'm not sure why the yeast didn't finish up more as I wasn't really pushing it too low on temperature. I used pure O2 on this thing so there should have been plenty of oxygen. I also made a pretty large yeast starter.

#37 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

so my 2L bottle of overflow beer is more or less carbed and WOW! Even unlagered I really like this beer. This is better than the couple of commercial examples I've had. So damn smooth and malty - mmmmmmmmmm

#38 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

I'm not sure if this is a typical grain bill for Dunkels, but with all of that Munich - how sweet is it? Or is it just pure malty character with very little perceived sweetness?

#39 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:48 AM

I'm not sure if this is a typical grain bill for Dunkels, but with all of that Munich - how sweet is it? Or is it just pure malty character with very little perceived sweetness?

From BJCP:

Ingredients: Grist is traditionally made up of German Munich malt (up to 100% in some cases) with the remainder German Pilsner malt. Small amounts of crystal malt can add dextrins and color but should not introduce excessive residual sweetness. Slight additions of roasted malts (such as Carafa or chocolate) may be used to improve color but should not add strong flavors. Noble German hop varieties and German lager yeast strains should be used. Moderately carbonate water. Often decoction mashed (up to a triple decoction) to enhance the malt flavors and create the depth of color.

It doesn't seem overly sweet to me. The character is mostly maltiness with a thick mouthfeel (munich + carapils).

#40 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

Brewing this tomorrow. The Munich malt I'm using is mostly Weyermann Type II, with some from Global Malt. The Dark Munich is 15 lov from Global Malt...just got this in, first time using it.6 gallons1.05221 SRM21.3 IBUs9 lb Munich Malt1.5 lb Dark Munich Malt7 oz Carafa Special IIMash @ 152 F1.1 oz Mittelfruh - 60 min0.2 oz Mittelfruh - 15 min0.2 oz Mittelfruh - 5 minWLP 838 Southern German Lager @ 49 F

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users