Photo
- - - - -

Anyone up for a new years community brew?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#21 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26188 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

Are you all AG/partial mashers or exract brewers? If we have no extract brewers in this group it opens up some options. If all are AG it may be interesting to do a partigyle of some sorts. My initial thought is an imperial xyz beer and then cap the mash to make a smoked small beer (not peat) of a brown, porter, or stout variety. In any event I am liking the ideas so far ...

#22 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:00 AM

AGsounds interesting. I've been wanting to do a Partigyle...

#23 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

AGsounds interesting. I've been wanting to do a Partigyle...

I actually started a thread on parti-gyle recently. I had RIS and breakfast stout / brown ale in mind.I'm really in now!I would also like an IIPA / pale ale - bitter as well

#24 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9735 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:41 PM

AGInterest-o-meter similarly rising.

#25 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

I'd be interested in the Imperial Cream ale, and If all are AG then maybe throw in some smoked malt for the second runnings? that would make...a smoked cream ale? maybe also adding some crystal to the secondrunnings and making it closer to a smoked APA with a pils base? I'm interested in something like that, but I'm still interested to hear the rest of the discussion.

#26 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26188 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

Any other ideas ... Brewing with mushrooms, a modern gruit, anything??

#27 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

Any other ideas ... Brewing with mushrooms, a modern gruit, anything??

I could go for something weird like not drinking while brewing.

#28 *_Guest_sdeweese_*

*_Guest_sdeweese_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

I actually started a thread on parti-gyle recently. I had RIS and breakfast stout / brown ale in mind.I'm really in now!I would also like an IIPA / pale ale - bitter as well

Something I can finally sink my mash into-I've never done a partigyle and would appreciate this thread deciding on a good meld of the first run wort and the second. Should we make the grain bill a dark complex that can be delivered down to a brown or a lighter combination of grains where hops would decide the character? I am willing to go either way.

#29 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9735 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:55 AM

I was somewhat interested in the Imp. Cream with additions to make a smoked/darker second with the addition of some specialties to the second (not just because they encompass a couple of my original ideas :smilielol:). That gives two fairly different beers from the same event.But something dark and mysterious is always good.

#30 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26188 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

Just want float a slight variation out there. If we were to use new years as a theme for this partigyle, we could do an out wil the old in with the new community/group brew. Brew a pale-to-amber old ale and then cap the mash to create a more experimental smoked ale. Just a thought I had this morning, but I am open to most the ideas that are being put out there. One thing that I am unsure of with the imperial cream/smoked combo is how the corn flavor will meld with the smoke in the small beer ... I just can't wrap my tongue around it for some reason.I'll probaby let this conversation go for another day or so before I start a malt thread, so let's try to work towards finallizing this concept. It seems like those who have been vocal are happy to run with the partigyle and most are okay with a smoked small beer, so that leaves room for discussion on the beer from the 1st runnings.

#31 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

For the Imp Cream ale, I'm thinking a small amount of corn can be in it, but I believe most "corn" flavor is from DMS. As long as you boil a full 90 min, there should be very little corn flavor in the smoked beer.

#32 *_Guest_sdeweese_*

*_Guest_sdeweese_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

I was somewhat interested in the Imp. Cream with additions to make a smoked/darker second with the addition of some specialties to the second (not just because they encompass a couple of my original ideas :smilielol:). That gives two fairly different beers from the same event.But something dark and mysterious is always good.

When I think of a parti-gyle I think of one grain bill making two beers. You are suggesting adding "specialties" to the second runnings. What would turn a high alc Cream into a toasty, tamer brew except darker grains? I see I have much to learn.

#33 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26188 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

When I think of a parti-gyle I think of one grain bill making two beers. You are suggesting adding "specialties" to the second runnings. What would turn a high alc Cream into a toasty, tamer brew except darker grains? I see I have much to learn.

With a partigyle you can take your first runnings from the mash for the big beer, and then "cap" the mash with an addition of different grains. If you cap a pale beer with crystal and dark specialty grains you add your water stir really well let sit for 10 min or so and drain to the bk. You can also add grains that need conversion to the cap and mash for 30-40 minutes to convert them, which gives you a ton of options for the small beer. I typically like to have more of a neutral big beer to give me more options with the small beer.Yes the corn flavor in a cream ale can be caused by DMS, but that is an error and something I try to avoid. What I was referring to was that most cream ales have somewhere around 10% corn which gives a definable corn flavor IMO. What I am unsure of is how much that will carry through to the small beer.

#34 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

AGInterest-o-meter similarly rising.

I know I whinned about $'s earlier, but I'm watching this with interest. I may have to find a way to be in on this depending on the recipe/process.

I could go for something weird like not drinking while brewing.

FAILBeach

#35 *_Guest_sdeweese_*

*_Guest_sdeweese_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

With a partigyle you can take your first runnings from the mash for the big beer, and then "cap" the mash with an addition of different grains. If you cap a pale beer with crystal and dark specialty grains you add your water stir really well let sit for 10 min or so and drain to the bk. You can also add grains that need conversion to the cap and mash for 30-40 minutes to convert them, which gives you a ton of options for the small beer. I typically like to have more of a neutral big beer to give me more options with the small beer.Yes the corn flavor in a cream ale can be caused by DMS, but that is an error and something I try to avoid. What I was referring to was that most cream ales have somewhere around 10% corn which gives a definable corn flavor IMO. What I am unsure of is how much that will carry through to the small beer.

Thanks, EWW, that helps a lot. I have seen the term "capping" and seems a simple technique, biscuit malt being the traditionally used mash and crystal because it needs negligible mashing.

#36 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:36 AM

so it's monday - i'm back at work, which means I can b-b in the day. Sdweese and I chatted yesterday at the club meeting and are both interested. Let's keep the momentum going on this...

#37 beerbaron

beerbaron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:01 PM

What are you alls thoughts on a tripple/belg pale parti gyle recipe?

#38 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

What are you alls thoughts on a tripple/belg pale parti gyle recipe?

I was going to suggest that before as well. I just tapped an american IPA that I used a belgian yeast for and that could be the back end of a tripel.My interest is any of the following:RIS - Stout/BrownIIPA - Pale/BitterTripel - Belgian Pale

#39 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9735 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

I have been itching to do a tripel as well. From history, the community brews have usually just taken more non-traditional turns.I have to say I am still intrigued by the imp. cream and a capped smoke beer.

#40 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26188 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

I have been itching to do a tripel as well. From history, the community brews have usually just taken more non-traditional turns.I have to say I am still intrigued by the imp. cream and a capped smoke beer.

Sorry for the delay I got busy this weekend and dropped the ball. For the community brew side of things let's plan on the Impy Cream / Smoked Dark Ale ... I feel as if it woul be almost blasphamy to CJ's legacy to brew to style on a community brew. However as a compromise I will "show my work" on how to do the calculations for the big and small beers so people can take this as a learning experience on how to plan any partigyle in the future. I'll provide the brewer support on process stuff for this one so ask any and questions that may arise. Any feedback welcomed both now and anytime throughout the process. I'll start a new thread with polls later tonight and see if I can get this thread locked and the next one pinned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users