Photo
- - - - -

Anyone up for a new years community brew?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26189 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

Just checking interest level for a group or community brew on or around new years? Process would follow the usual format. Any interest?

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:44 PM

What's the 'usual format'?

#3 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26189 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

See below

Edited by EWW, 09 December 2009 - 10:16 PM.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

bum link

#5 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26189 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:14 PM

bum link

Sorry for some reason I can't seem to make it work. If you do an advanced search for threads with community in the title you will find the concept malt and hops thread from the 1st and only community brew here, but it is the same format cj used when he started these at the other space.

#6 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:55 AM

The way I did it was to have people suggest malts that would go together to make an interesting beer at a particular strength, color, whatever -- without choosing an underlying style. Then once the malt bill was decided, then we added hops that would be interesting and unique, followed by a yeast. Every resulting community recipe had an all-grain, extract, and sometimes a partial mash option, and substitutions were suggested wherever possible. That resulted in some really interesting beers over the years. The recipes from over on BrewBoard can be found HERE -- and some of the links still even work so you can follow the process to see how it worked out. Unfortunately, I won't be able to brew this time, but I'll be watching just for fun.

#7 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:34 AM

I am interested.

#8 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

Sorry for some reason I can't seem to make it work. If you do an advanced search for threads with community in the title you will find the concept malt and hops thread from the 1st and only community brew here, but it is the same format cj used when he started these at the other space.

Yep, when I ran the community brew here I was basically trying to copy what CJ did over on the board that shall not be named.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:47 PM

I'm also interested. I would have done it last time on the green board but the recipe went in a way i didn't want. I forget exactlly what it was, but I remember not wanting to brew the final product. I'm totally up for some discussion about what can be made, and depending on the outcome, I may or maynot be up for brewing it.

#10 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:07 PM

I could probably do it. I've never done one before, could be fun.

#11 McNuggets

McNuggets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

I might be interested in that too.

#12 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:56 PM

Depending on what is chosen, I may be up for it as well.

#13 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26189 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:48 PM

So we have more then 5 but not too much interest so far. I'm willing to run with it if you all are. Unless we get a whole bunch more interest this just may be a small group collaborative brew. If that's the case we may be able to skip all the polls and just hash it out with dialouge if that's cool with y'all. I'd like to see a bigger group, but there are some perks of a smaller group. Thoughts?If your interested are you AG, partial, or extract?Start throwing out some concepts to spark some interest and conversation (I.e gravity, theme, key ingredient, ect)

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:22 AM

The problem with this is that invariably I won't have the right hops or yeast and I'll be too cheap to acquire them :devil:

#15 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:15 AM

The problem with this is that invariably I won't have the right hops or yeast and I'll be too cheap to acquire them :devil:

This. I think I remember the one last year it had about 7 malts and 5 hops. Instead of the round robin where everyone adds an ingrediant I'd be up for selecting a style and then having complete recipes submitted and then make a new recipe out of the ones sent.

#16 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:16 AM

This. Sounds cool but my inventory is low & imma trying to make rent. :) Beach

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:17 AM

This. I think I remember the one last year it had about 7 malts and 5 hops. Instead of the round robin where everyone adds an ingrediant I'd be up for selecting a style and then having complete recipes submitted and then make a new recipe out of the ones sent.

I'd recommend a common dry yeast (like S-04, US-05, Nottingham) and then some hops that can be easily interchanged with other hops.

#18 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:22 AM

I have always liked how they have been done in the past (mad props to you CJ and the others who did it like him). However, I think it is best to start with a concept then go to the grains, hops, yeast, etc.To be honest the times I have dropped out of the community brew efforts (other than just not being interested in the direction it was taking) have been when there was not a clear vision and by the end there was so many "variations" and possible modifications that it hardly seemed like a community brew. I know we cant all do exactly the same thing and have to be accommodating, like having an AG and Extract option, but I would like to see the community brew be as unified as possible.Just my rant/$0.02Here are a couple of concepts to get the creative juices flowing. Maybe this should be in a thread of its own, but since we are just talkin here.-Spiced winter beer with non-typical spice (spice TBD)-American Tripel/Imperial Cream Ale-A smoked beer-New Decade Brew-Ingedient Type By Geography (e.g. Brittish Malt, American Hops, Belgian Yeast)-The official beer of the FNDC (I am kidding with this one.....kinda) :devil: Ok I will stop here. Yall contribute some or I will continue punishing you with my ideas.

#19 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

I think it is best to start with a concept then go to the grains, hops, yeast, etc.

Must agree.

-Spiced winter beer with non-typical spice (spice TBD)-American Tripel/Imperial Cream Ale-A smoked beer

Those all sound like interesting brews. Imperial Cream would work well with the request to be able to sub different hops. I buy each recipe grain bill at a time from the LHBS, so I'm up for whatever.

#20 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

I'm interested in making belgian or imperial type beers (RIS or IIPA). I'd also join in for any other unusual style like smoked beer etc. But I want to brew something that looks like a well thought out recipe not just a collection of ingrediants. You got my interest now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users