#22 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 29 July 2023 - 05:30 AM

Grill, Ooni, and Blackstone, too. It'll probably last 3 months or so.
I need to step up the brewing. I have 3 open taps!

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 July 2023 - 05:35 AM

Grill, Ooni, and Blackstone, too. It'll probably last 3 months or so.
I need to step up the brewing. I have 3 open taps!

is most of your cooking done outside?  maybe you should consider getting a bigger tank :P

#24 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 31 July 2023 - 05:41 PM

Made a Kveik IPA yesterday. I managed to get a brew day in between thunderstorms. I also realized that I was out of propane to get the task done while heating up the water for the mash. While mashing, I filled up 4 tanks, so that's that for a couple of months or so. The Voss Kveik yeast predictably took off fast. It's dropped from 1.070 to 1.032 overnight at 97°.

Just placed my fermenter in the garage fridge to cool before dry hopping (Lotus and Mackinac). OG 1.070 and finished at 1.012.

#25 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 August 2023 - 11:18 AM

Brewing an homage to North Coast Pranqster today. Using the G70 with the new upgraded basket to try a 6 gal (24 L) batch on a 70L system.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 August 2023 - 05:34 AM

Made a baltic Porter as mentioned in recipe thread. Had dinner minor struggles with the ratchet for my biab. It's like the housing was squeezing the spinning part too tightly. Loosening the screws holding the two halves of the housing send to have fixed it but damn it's it hard to move a giant bag of wet grain when the ratchet is fighting you!!!

Otherwise a good brew day. I did pause my boil for a couple of hours to meet a friend from out of town for lunch. I don't think will cause any issues. OG was the same as the last time I made this. Fermentation really took off fast since I pitched 3 mason jars that were half full of week old yeast cake from my Zappa lager.

#27 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 09 August 2023 - 07:26 AM

Just placed my fermenter in the garage fridge to cool before dry hopping (Lotus and Mackinac). OG 1.070 and finished at 1.012.

I had a few pints yesterday. It's not as good as my previous attempts - good but lacking the hop punch of the earlier batches. One, I didn't have as much lotus available as prior. Secondly, my dry hop bag may have tangled a bit while lowering (via magnets) which may have restricted the exposed surface area. I think I'll do a DH in the keg and see what happens.

#28 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 09 August 2023 - 04:15 PM

Looking to brew a Lithuanian Farmhouse Ale tomorrow. Just weighed out and crushed the grain. Not sure what my hops will be yet. Something different for sure.

#29 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 10 August 2023 - 07:22 AM

Mashing in. Might be some thunderstorms coming in, though. I better move my patio umbrella over to the brewing area.

#30 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 10 August 2023 - 10:27 AM

That was an extended mash - after playing around weighing hops and watching some TV, I then took a 16 mile bike ride. Into my boil now...

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 August 2023 - 10:57 AM

That was an extended mash - after playing around weighing hops and watching some TV, I then took a 16 mile bike ride. Into my boil now...

I like to do that kind of thing when I have time.

#32 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 12 August 2023 - 07:57 AM

I pitched the yeast about 40 hours ago. When I woke up this morning there was no detectable fermentation. The yeast was not typical. It was dried Simonaitus (Lithuanian) that looks like it was harvested in somebody's basement. I had used a different yeast from the same guy before. I remember that it took a while to get going. Anyway, I decided to use a dry packet of Saison to make something drinkable. Funny, as I was waiting for the yeast to rehydrate, I checked the fermenter one more time and it's now active. I decided to pitch the Saison anyway! We shall see how this turns out.

#33 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 16 August 2023 - 05:17 AM

Today I'm going to brew an English AK. Maris Otter, flaked corn, and inverted sugar. I don't have any British hops, so I'll use Willamette. Verdant yeast.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 August 2023 - 05:21 AM

Today I'm going to brew an English AK. Maris Otter, flaked corn, and inverted sugar. I don't have any British hops, so I'll use Willamette. Verdant yeast.

Sounds like a winner. I honestly kind of prefer American hops anyway.

#35 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 16 August 2023 - 08:42 AM

Another long mash. While out riding my bike (22 miles), I ran into my friend (the hot one), so that added another 15-20 minutes.

#36 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 23 August 2023 - 04:33 AM

The Verdant has been slow. Almost a week but I still have a few gravity points to go. Started at 1.074 and now at 1.018. Hoping to squeeze it down 1.015 or so.

#37 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 26 August 2023 - 12:39 PM

Brewing a Belgian Tripel today.

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 August 2023 - 12:48 PM

The Verdant has been slow. Almost a week but I still have a few gravity points to go. Started at 1.074 and now at 1.018. Hoping to squeeze it down 1.015 or so.

I can't remember if the first go is slow for me but I do like the results.

#39 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 26 August 2023 - 01:21 PM

Brewing a Belgian Tripel today.

I should have brewed another Kveik beer with this summer heat. Like with the beer brewed with Verdant, I'll need to put the wort in the fridge for a while to get it down to upper 60's or so before pitching the yeast.

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 August 2023 - 01:32 PM

I should have brewed another Kveik beer with this summer heat. Like with the beer brewed with Verdant, I'll need to put the wort in the fridge for a while to get it down to upper 60's or so before pitching the yeast.

I agree that would have been a good idea but.... next time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users