matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:14 PM

Foaming?

Yes. I tapped one keg and all I got was spitting foam and co2. Ditched that keg and tapped the next(same 10gal batch). Much better, at least I get beer after about 2/3 a pint of foam. I just haven't had time to investigate. As soon as this keg kicks I will play around with the first one again.

#62 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:34 PM

These kegs have a lot of hops so that could be a factor.

That may be a factor, but I have had the same issue with no hops in the keg, Especially with long "pours" when I'm filling my 1.75 gal cannonball kegs with a keg jumper.

I have the MoreBeer style diptube. One tip I read was to hook the ring connecting the pickup tube to the float on one side of the pickup tube only. This helped, but is not full proof. Next I added SS washers as weights to try to ensure the pickup tube is always submerged, works as well and definitely cuts down on the occurrences, but I still occasionally get one hung up.

Regardless, the results are worth some sporadic inconvenience, I have them in all 15 of my kegs now. The design of the EBAY offering linked earlier looks interesting, might have to check that one out.

Washers: https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Merlinwerks, 24 August 2020 - 12:37 PM.

#63 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:37 PM

I would like to try this one. https://caskwidge.com/Parts/Product/17. Seems to get rave reviews but they're an English company. The lone place that has them in the US is too spendy!

#64 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

I did order that one on eBay, should get it by the end of the week. I'm gonna use it on a keg that will be dry hopped. I'll report on it sometime next week.

#65 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:56 AM

Playing around with that eBay one and I'm having issues. Just some starsan in the keg and I'm only getting a trickle coming out. The seller attached his phone number so I'll text him later today for suggestions. Also, the short dip tubes that were included are rubber. They don't want to seat low enough to get the ball locks on, especially the gas side one (decided to use my original one). Probably $20 out the window...

#66 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:52 AM

Crazy, I took it out and reinstalled. Seems to be working fine now.

#67 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:17 AM

Got to say, excellent customer service. Shortly after texting the dude this morning, I got a phone call while on my bike. It was probably 6:30 am where he called from. I'll see how this works out with a dry hopped keg in the next few days.

#68 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 30 August 2020 - 01:11 PM

Oh, discovered something that is probably common knowledge to most of you. There are differences in some cornies. A couple of the ones I recently bought are Firestone V. The post threads are slightly smaller, this is why the silicon dip tubes wouldn't fit properly in one of my kegs.

#69 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2020 - 06:40 AM

I think next time I'll use the floating dip tube and a SS hop tube.  I ended up dumping quite a bit of beer b/c it was pure sludge.  not the floating dip tubes fault.  one thing I have to wonder is that if I had used a SS hop tube and a regular dip tube if I would have just slowly sucked up hop sediment as it settled and this would have been preferred.  the floating dip tube will allow everything to settle or mostly settle so now it's a huge mass of hop debris in the bottom region of the keg.

#70 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 06:59 AM

I think next time I'll use the floating dip tube and a SS hop tube.  I ended up dumping quite a bit of beer b/c it was pure sludge.  not the floating dip tubes fault.  one thing I have to wonder is that if I had used a SS hop tube and a regular dip tube if I would have just slowly sucked up hop sediment as it settled and this would have been preferred.  the floating dip tube will allow everything to settle or mostly settle so now it's a huge mass of hop debris in the bottom region of the keg.

I know it is not for everyone but a course filter before the keg has made a HUUUGE difference for me.

118779743_10160504450624657_652872985689

118615697_10160504454269657_616425576471

#71 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:14 AM

Yes. I tapped one keg and all I got was spitting foam and co2. Ditched that keg and tapped the next(same 10gal batch). Much better, at least I get beer after about 2/3 a pint of foam. I just haven't had time to investigate. As soon as this keg kicks I will play around with the first one again.

I got around to fixing the issue this weekend. I had to pop the top of the keg. The pick up was pointing straight into the headspace. I attached a flair nut with some SS wire to the ring at the end of pick up. Was enough weight to keep it down into the beer. Pouring great now. Will be drinking this keg quickly.

#72 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:19 AM

I know it is not for everyone but a course filter before the keg has made a HUUUGE difference for me.

I'm assuming you aren't dry hopping in the serving keg like I am.  I don't think filtering the little bit of stuff coming out of my primary is going to do much for me :P

for the couple of times I have done a primary dry hop I did have a SS screen around my pickup tube and that worked pretty well at allowing me to transfer out of primary.  I'm sure in those situations if I didn't dry hop in the keg the floating dip tube would be a big help.

Edited by Mando, 08 September 2020 - 07:36 AM.

#73 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:16 AM

I'm assuming you aren't dry hopping in the serving keg like I am.  I don't think filtering the little bit of stuff coming out of my primary is going to do much for me :P

for the couple of times I have done a primary dry hop I did have a SS screen around my pickup tube and that worked pretty well at allowing me to transfer out of primary.  I'm sure in those situations if I didn't dry hop in the keg the floating dip tube would be a big help.

I missed/forgot you are DHing in the keg. 

I think the floating and the SS cylinder will work well in that case as long as you do not overload the cylinder.

#74 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:19 AM

I missed/forgot you are DHing in the keg. 

I think the floating and the SS cylinder will work well in that case as long as you do not overload the cylinder.

yeah - same deal as before.  I should probably trying using the floating dip tubes on something I didn't dry hop just to see how they perform there.

#75 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:46 PM

I just finished my first keg using a floating dip tube. Mixed results. It did draw clear from first to last pints but I left behind a good 2 pints. If it was sludgy, I wouldn't care. But I've been cold crashing before kegging lately and pretty much everything entering the keg is drinkable. I'll just use it when dry hopping in the keg for now on.

#76 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19061 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM

I just finished my first keg using a floating dip tube. Mixed results. It did draw clear from first to last pints but I left behind a good 2 pints. If it was sludgy, I wouldn't care. But I've been cold crashing before kegging lately and pretty much everything entering the keg is drinkable. I'll just use it when dry hopping in the keg for now on.

Same experience here. First keg kicked last night.

#77 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:00 PM

Is this the morebeer/Williams one or ebay?

#78 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:36 PM

eBay.

#79 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:51 PM

eBay.

Thanks,I was just looking at that one. Looked promising.

#80 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:48 AM

I got a fix for my floating dip tube that floats too much and sticks up in the headspace issue. I took a flair nut and drilled it out a little so it could slide over the dip tube. The bonus part is that the nut can screw onto the tubing and act as a clamp. Keeps it submerged perfectly.

PXL-20200925-151456879.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users