positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:40 AM

(another floating dip tubes question!)

I'm planning on dry hopping in the serving keg with the floating dip tube.  Should I put the dry hops in a big SS mesh tube to reduce the chances of clogging or should I just let the hops float free to get the most possible hoppy goodness into the beer?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:53 AM

I just throw them in the keg.  I have done 4 or 5oz in a keg with a floating diptube and after a day or tow cold there were no floaties till I kicked it.

#3 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:18 AM

I will admit I have never tried to dry hop in the serving keg. For one you are just asking for a clog. But with the floating dip tubes it makes it possible. Any issues with the flavor changing over time? I potentially have a hoppy beer on tap for a month or so here. So the hops would be sitting in there the whole time.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:34 AM

I will admit I have never tried to dry hop in the serving keg. For one you are just asking for a clog. But with the floating dip tubes it makes it possible. Any issues with the flavor changing over time? I potentially have a hoppy beer on tap for a month or so here. So the hops would be sitting in there the whole time.

I've never tasted anything bad.  I usually finish both kegs within a few months (likely less this time :P).

I just throw them in the keg.  I have done 4 or 5oz in a keg with a floating diptube and after a day or tow cold there were no floaties till I kicked it.

do you find the hops settle pretty well in the bottom of the keg?  last time when I had to change to the floating dip tube towards the end of the keg I had stirred things up a lot so that probably wasn't indicative of what I'll experience this time around.

#5 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19046 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:04 PM

You guys using pellet hops for this or leaf? I used to have a metal container with a mesh lid I used for this that I called the hops depth charge, can't find it though.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:33 PM

You guys using pellet hops for this or leaf? I used to have a metal container with a mesh lid I used for this that I called the hops depth charge, can't find it though.

I only use pellets. I have used the canisters before but they do not hold enough hops for me so commando with floating diptubes it is.

#7 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19046 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, I honestly had no idea there was such a thing. Behind the times. Recommendation?

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:47 PM

I only use pellets. I have used the canisters before but they do not hold enough hops for me so commando with floating diptubes it is.

yeah, I find that unless it's only a couple of ounces that once they absorb liquid they completely fill the tube which I assume greatly limits exposure to the beer.

Yeah, I honestly had no idea there was such a thing. Behind the times. Recommendation?

do you mean for a specific floating dip tube?  or just a floating dip tube in general?  from my very limited use it seems like they work pretty well.

#9 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19046 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:07 PM

Yeah, I didn't know if there was a particular type or brand that is best.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:11 PM

this is the one I bought: https://www.ritebrew...ct-p/843347.htm

#11 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19046 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:46 PM

Thanks!

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:52 PM

Mine are the same except they did not come with the short tube. I got mine from morebeer.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:31 PM

Mine are the same except they did not come with the short tube. I got mine from morebeer.

I've been debating trying one out in my primary but I think my cut dip tube is usually pretty close to the right level.

#14 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:04 PM

this is the one I bought: https://www.ritebrew...ct-p/843347.htm

Same here. I plan to order a couple more soon. Only used them once so far but I'm hooked.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:57 AM

Same here. I plan to order a couple more soon. Only used them once so far but I'm hooked.

this is kind of unrelated to the floating dip tubes specifically but do you guys ever get dip tubes where the top lip is not flat?  On one of my two floating dip tubes it was like this and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get my liquid poppet to stay closed.  so then I hammered the lip flat on the anvil of my bench vice and that seemed to allow it to seal.  the o-ring really took a beating though despite copious amounts of keg lube.

that's another thing...

for whatever reason the design of the posts on my fermentor like to eat up o-rings at about 5-10x the rate of my regular corny kegs.  it's not a huge deal since o-rings are so cheap but I kind of wonder why this is happening and if there is anything I could do about it.

Edited by Mando, 10 July 2020 - 05:58 AM.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:21 AM

For the first part I have no had that issue but for most of mine I have been cutting the existing.  I would have done the same thing you did, bang it flat, with a soft mallet.  

What is the post on the fermenter like?  I am trying to guess why it would eat up o-rings.

#17 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:14 AM

I think both of the floating dip tubes I got were not flat on top. The o-ring took a slight beating but no issues with the poppet.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:30 AM

To be clear when I say not flat I don't mean in a uniform way. It's like one part of the edge was curled down extra.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:33 AM

For the first part I have no had that issue but for most of mine I have been cutting the existing. I would have done the same thing you did, bang it flat, with a soft mallet.

What is the post on the fermenter like? I am trying to guess why it would eat up o-rings.

They are a little different than most I've dealt with. I'll have to take a pic after this fermentation next time I take it apart. The main difference is the poppet is two pieces - a spring and a small metal piece with an o-ring that come completely apart.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:14 AM

They are a little different than most I've dealt with. I'll have to take a pic after this fermentation next time I take it apart. The main difference is the poppet is two pieces - a spring and a small metal piece with an o-ring that come completely apart.

like this?

k376_x700.jpg?v=1583162541

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users