53 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:49 PM

Spend $59 = free shipping. Does not apply to sacks.

For a while it was free at $39. I guess that was a short time deal.

#22 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:44 AM

For a while it was free at $39. I guess that was a short time deal.

think that was earlier this year for when they were promoting the hell out of Viking malt. 

I have ordered 5 10 lb bags of grain to avoid fright shipping costs from more beer, but for me, the fright costs per bag were around $12. 

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:29 AM

Right now at LP, most of the Swean sacks are about $50 with pilser and wheat both coming in at $46 which I consider to be a decent number. Shipping to me is about $16 so $62 total is pretty excellent considering I don't have to drive an hour round-trip and lug it myself. Not sure if Swaen is what you want but considering there is no sale at the moment, still good numbers.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:32 AM

Check out the podcast that's out today.  It shows why you should buy by flavor, not price.  There are vast differences between malts.

I would absolutely agree with this and I think I have been burned by "cheap malt" and also noticed the difference of "better malt". However, my tastebuds sometimes fail me and don't really tell me that the malt is better.  I suppose it's like an awesome sound system or an awesome high-def TV... if your ears or eyes aren't that good, that high-end stuff is lost on me.  :lol:  That said, I would like to try that Mecca malt.  Midwest, you say?  I haven't ordered anything from them for a looooooong time.  

#25 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:49 AM

I would absolutely agree with this and I think I have been burned by "cheap malt" and also noticed the difference of "better malt". However, my tastebuds sometimes fail me and don't really tell me that the malt is better.  I suppose it's like an awesome sound system or an awesome high-def TV... if your ears or eyes aren't that good, that high-end stuff is lost on me:lol:  That said, I would like to try that Mecca malt.  Midwest, you say?  I haven't ordered anything from them for a looooooong time.  

I feel the same way.  Midwest is where I scored the Mecca and I highly suggest you give it a try.  Go to their website for good descriptors.  I personally recomend pairing some Opal 44 with their other malts.  The beer I posted yesterday has such a richness to it, that I cannot describe.  Is it the malt?  Mash temp?  Kveik yeast?  Combination thereof?  All I know I am going to make a second batch but change out the Vanora with Pelton and Metolius.  Also a few more ounces of Opal 44.                    Just for shits and grins.  

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:03 AM

I feel the same way.  Midwest is where I scored the Mecca and I highly suggest you give it a try.  Go to their website for good descriptors.  I personally recomend pairing some Opal 44 with their other malts.  The beer I posted yesterday has such a richness to it, that I cannot describe.  Is it the malt?  Mash temp?  Kveik yeast?  Combination thereof?  All I know I am going to make a second batch but change out the Vanora with Pelton and Metolius.  Also a few more ounces of Opal 44.                    Just for shits and grins.  

I'm just going to say this too... I dislike products where I have to look up what the shit actually is.  :lol:  Oh, I should get Swaen Golden Schputz Doodle?  What is that?  Oh I see, after 20 minutes of searching I see that it's Pale Ale malt.  Cool.  Every time I see a product for Swaen I have to go find out specifically what it is so I don't accidentally order 55 pounds of honey malt.   Opal 44 is a 44°L crystal?  

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:06 AM

I'm just going to say this too... I dislike products where I have to look up what the shit actually is.  :lol:  Oh, I should get Swaen Golden Schputz Doodle?  What is that?  Oh I see, after 20 minutes of searching I see that it's Pale Ale malt.  Cool.  Every time I see a product for Swaen I have to go find out specifically what it is so I don't accidentally order 55 pounds of honey malt.   Opal 44 is a 44°L crystal?  

yeah - they should really put what it is in the name.  pretty much every malter makes pale, pale ale, pilsner, etc. so why not just put those in the name???

#28 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:22 AM

https://static1.squa...GEM_Opal_44.pdf

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:45 AM

so is the opal 44 a crystal malt or not?  they are talking about using it up to 100% there!!!

#30 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:02 PM

I believe it is a crystal malt.  To me, it's like C40 but decadent if that makes any sense.  If you can find Denny's podcast where they interview Seth from Mecca (first podcast) it really explains why they have such unique malts.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

I believe it is a crystal malt.  To me, it's like C40 but decadent if that makes any sense.  If you can find Denny's podcast where they interview Seth from Mecca (first podcast) it really explains why they have such unique malts.

but would you ever use it at 100%?  I'd never do that with crystal.

#32 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:20 PM

I don't think so.  

#33 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:28 PM

I sent a message to Mecca regarding their Opal.  I'll post back here once they respond.  Cheers.

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

It's easy...

Pelton = pils

Metolius = Munich

Vanora = Vienna

Opal is what they call a "toasted malt"...adds a bit of sweetness but mainly a toasty flavor.  MG doesn't have the ability to make true crystal malt

Edited by denny, 10 October 2019 - 12:53 PM.

#35 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:53 PM

See above about the Opal 44.  Denny do you have the skinny on that malt?  I just emailed Seth.

#36 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:55 PM

See above about the Opal 44.  Denny do you have the skinny on that malt?  I just emailed Seth.

Just posted about it.  I currently have an IPA on tap that used 12 lb. of Skagit pale malt and a lb. of Opal.  Very tasty..

If you check the podcast, there are some very exciting new malts coming from MG.

#37 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:50 PM

Just posted about it.  I currently have an IPA on tap that used 12 lb. of Skagit pale malt and a lb. of Opal.  Very tasty..

If you check the podcast, there are some very exciting new malts coming from MG.

I'm at the tail end of the podcast Sir.  It was a good one too.

#38 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:28 PM

I'm at the tail end of the podcast Sir.  It was a good one too.

Thank you!

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

It's easy...

Pelton = pils

Metolius = Munich

Vanora = Vienna

Opal is what they call a "toasted malt"...adds a bit of sweetness but mainly a toasty flavor.  MG doesn't have the ability to make true crystal malt

It sounds kind of "tall", "grande", "venti" at the coffee shop.  :lol:  Are these foreign-language words?  

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:11 PM

Just posted about it. I currently have an IPA on tap that used 12 lb. of Skagit pale malt and a lb. of Opal. Very tasty..

Worth it over the " regular stuff" though? I wouldn't mind spending more on specially malts but if my base malt doubles on price that's going to hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users