#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:25 AM

Pretty much says it all.  If I recall, Ken likes Label Peelers for both costs.  

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:56 AM

Check out RiteBrew

ETA:  I should have read the title better. yeah check out Label Peelers for that kind of deal.

Edited by HVB, 09 October 2019 - 05:06 AM.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:55 AM

Oddly enough as of this morning LPeelers has absolutely no deals on grain hahaha

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:06 AM

Do any lhbs near you sell by the sack? Sometimes prices are a little better.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:19 AM

LP has a lot of sales and I usually get an email so I can send you an alert if you want.  The best local deal I ever got was a sack of Weyermann Barke Pils for $64.  Sacks of things like MO and GP are now costing me $90 and even over $100 locally.  I get decent shipping prices from LP because I'm only 2 states away.  The prices I get on a shipped sack from LP is often much better than anything I can get locally which is saying something.  They also occasionally have a crazy deal like Briess Pilsen malt for $29 a sack.  :o  It's also true that their selection is not super wide.  Lots of Swaen, Avangard and some others.  

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:31 AM

Do any lhbs near you sell by the sack? Sometimes prices are a little better.

One shop not so close by is in the sixties for just about any malt.

LP has a lot of sales and I usually get an email so I can send you an alert if you want.  The best local deal I ever got was a sack of Weyermann Barke Pils for $64.  Sacks of things like MO and GP are now costing me $90 and even over $100 locally.  I get decent shipping prices from LP because I'm only 2 states away.  The prices I get on a shipped sack from LP is often much better than anything I can get locally which is saying something.  They also occasionally have a crazy deal like Briess Pilsen malt for $29 a sack.  :o  It's also true that their selection is not super wide.  Lots of Swaen, Avangard and some others.  

If you see a deal, please shout it out, thank you.  

#7 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:03 AM

I tend to start with LP when I need sacks of grain, but I've found that Ritebrew tends to carry grains that LP does not (Golden Promise and Weyermann are 2 examples that come to mind).

If both places have the grain you want, take whichever is cheapest after shipping, but don't be surprised if one carries a grain you want, while the other does not.

#8 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:28 AM

I agree that LP is pretty decent. I had been going to a local guy, but it seems they are actually focusing more on becoming a winery and bar than a brewing supplier. That and they have been suffering from price creep lately. So, I'm kind of inclined to stop patronizing them.

I'm thinking I'm just going to have to switch over to LP when they have deals and plan ahead for my brew sessions. Coincidentally, I used the rest of my malt trying out that Gulo yeast, so I'm about ready to order some too! I'll be keeping my eye on my emails.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:37 AM

I'm thinking I'm just going to have to switch over to LP when they have deals and plan ahead for my brew sessions. Coincidentally, I used the rest of my malt trying out that Gulo yeast, so I'm about ready to order some too! I'll be keeping my eye on my emails.

This is what I do now.

I have customers near the Roselle location of Brew & Grow and I stop in there occasionally.  Last time Simpson's GP was $90 a sack and MO was $105!  :o  I realize it's good stuff but holy shizzle.  

#10 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

This is what I do now.

I have customers near the Roselle location of Brew & Grow and I stop in there occasionally.  Last time Simpson's GP was $90 a sack and MO was $105:o  I realize it's good stuff but holy shizzle.  

Those prices are somewhere between lunacy and highway robbery.

Just looked at Ritebrew; they have Baird's MO for ~$55/sack and Simpson's GO for ~$62/sack.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:35 AM

Checking Ritebrew now

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:36 AM

Check out the podcast that's out today.  It shows why you should buy by flavor, not price.  There are vast differences between malts.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:40 AM

Actually half way through the podcast but pesky work got in the way  :(

Can get a sack each of Briess 2Row and Pils for a total of $74 with $59 shipping.  Feck that.

#14 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:24 AM

If you're ordering from Ritebrew, considering ordering one sack at a time.  Ordering multiple sacks of grain (in my very limited experience) seems to be cost-prohibitive.

I've found LP to be a bit more reasonable on shipping when ordering multiple sacks of grain, but even then, it ain't cheap.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:03 PM

I have not priced it out so I am not sure how the money comes out but if you go to More Beer and order like 49 pounds I think it qualifies for free shipping.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

Check out the podcast that's out today. It shows why you should buy by flavor, not price. There are vast differences between malts.

+100

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:07 PM

Actually half way through the podcast but pesky work got in the way  :(

Can get a sack each of Briess 2Row and Pils for a total of $74 with $59 shipping.  Feck that.

Frankly, Briess would be my last choice.

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

I have not priced it out so I am not sure how the money comes out but if you go to More Beer and order like 49 pounds I think it qualifies for free shipping.

Spend $59 = free shipping.  Does not apply to sacks.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:32 PM

Spend $59 = free shipping.  Does not apply to sacks.

but you can get 10 lb bags

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

but you can get 10 lb bags

true

0 user(s) are reading this topic