#41 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:03 AM

It sounds kind of "tall", "grande", "venti" at the coffee shop. :lol: Are these foreign-language words?

No, they're the names of ghost towns near where Mecca Grade is. The farm has been there for 6 generations, so Seth wanted to acknowledge their history. A bit confusing at first, but you catch on quickly. But, yeah, I get your point!

but would you ever use it at 100%?  I'd never do that with crystal.

You could becaueee it's not really a crystal. Not sure I would, but it would be possible.

Edited by denny, 11 October 2019 - 08:02 AM.

#42 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:05 AM

Worth it over the " regular stuff" though? I wouldn't mind spending more on specially malts but if my base malt doubles on price that's going to hurt.

That's your choice. For me, it's worth it, but I've never been all that concerned about price. Nite a hobby and I don't spend that muchu on it overall. And hey it's cheaper than buying a boat for fishing!

#43 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25567 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

Frankly, Briess would be my last choice.

Denny, Do you have any opinion on the Viking Malts that Morebeer is pushing?

Reading reviews, seems the most consistent knock is Viking is darker when compared to equivalent malts. Color is a non-factor for me. I do not enter competitions and all homebrew looks good enough when it tastes great.

#44 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

Reading reviews, seems the most consistent knock is Viking is darker when compared to equivalent malts. Color is a non-factor for me. I do not enter competitions and all homebrew looks good enough when it tastes great.

Sorry, haven't tried them.

#45 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:13 AM

That's your choice. For me, it's worth it, but I've never been all that concerned about price. Nite a hobby and I don't spend that muchu on it overall. And hey it's cheaper than buying a boat for fishing!

how much are you paying per sack?  I have pretty limited options on purchasing it since I'm not from OR.  Seems like NB might be the only online retailer and it would run me $105/sack.

eta:  seems like if you lived close by and could buy it direct it would be a lot more reasonable.  probably $70-80 per sack?  still pricey but at least not too crazy.

Edited by Zsasz, 12 October 2019 - 11:19 AM.

#46 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

I've used the first darker pale malt they introduced - it's priced appropriately.  I've noticed they have a lighter malt out now that I will eventually try

#47 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:16 AM

I have some Viking pilsner arriving today.  Will likely make another American Lager.  Will keep you posted.

#48 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:54 AM

Seth from Mecca Grade kindly responded to my email.  Here's his description of the Opal 44.

Thanks for sharing this with me and for the kind words! Hopefully I can answer your questions about our Opal malt.

Opal is a “toffee” malt, something that we came up with. It’s not a caramel or a crystal malt, which are two different products and are oftentimes used interchangeably by brewers (even though they probably shouldn’t be). Crystal malts are made in giant roasting machines with green malt being blasted by extremely hot temps to crystalize the starches within the kernel. Caramel malts are similarly bombarded by high temps to bring grain beds up to saccarification temperatures, stewing the grain and essentially creating a mash step within each kernel.

We steep, germinate, and kiln within one vessel…a giant machine we designed that we call a “mechanical floor malter.” Because we do all the processes of malting in one machine, it is called a “uni-malter.” This gives us a ridiculous amount of control over the entire batch, but limits us from being able to roast in the machine. We can’t exceed applied air temps of 240 F because we will start warping the plastic guides and even stainless steel.

What we do instead is close up both the intake and exhaust ports in the machine and turn it into a giant sweat box for 24 hours. Hot and sticky air is allowed to recirculate, bringing the grain bed up to near sacc temps of 140 F. We then switch to a more normal high kilning schedule, with the hot air browning those precursors we formed during the stewing process.

I figured the best word would be “toffee” malt to describe the flavor. I sought to make a super-melanoiden malt that wasn't syrupy-sweet like conventional caramel malts. You get all the richness of flavor, but the malt will dry out in the beer. For this reason it’s been very popular in replacing caramel malts in traditional recipes for pale ales and IPAs.

Yes, you can use Opal at 100%, but this is something that distillers are playing with more than brewers. The diastatic power on both Opals we make is above 40, so they will self-convert. Most of the enzymes in caramel and crystal malts are destroyed by the extreme heat. I’m hoping to make a 100% Opal 22 barleywine this week and I will keep you posted on my efforts
Thanks for sharing this with me and for the kind words! Hopefully I can answer your questions about our Opal malt.

Opal is a “toffee” malt, something that we came up with. It’s not a caramel or a crystal malt, which are two different products and are oftentimes used interchangeably by brewers (even though they probably shouldn’t be). Crystal malts are made in giant roasting machines with green malt being blasted by extremely hot temps to crystalize the starches within the kernel. Caramel malts are similarly bombarded by high temps to bring grain beds up to saccarification temperatures, stewing the grain and essentially creating a mash step within each kernel.

We steep, germinate, and kiln within one vessel…a giant machine we designed that we call a “mechanical floor malter.” Because we do all the processes of malting in one machine, it is called a “uni-malter.” This gives us a ridiculous amount of control over the entire batch, but limits us from being able to roast in the machine. We can’t exceed applied air temps of 240 F because we will start warping the plastic guides and even stainless steel.

What we do instead is close up both the intake and exhaust ports in the machine and turn it into a giant sweat box for 24 hours. Hot and sticky air is allowed to recirculate, bringing the grain bed up to near sacc temps of 140 F. We then switch to a more normal high kilning schedule, with the hot air browning those precursors we formed during the stewing process.

I figured the best word would be “toffee” malt to describe the flavor. I sought to make a super-melanoiden malt that wasn't syrupy-sweet like conventional caramel malts. You get all the richness of flavor, but the malt will dry out in the beer. For this reason it’s been very popular in replacing caramel malts in traditional recipes for pale ales and IPAs.

Yes, you can use Opal at 100%, but this is something that distillers are playing with more than brewers. The diastatic power on both Opals we make is above 40, so they will self-convert. Most of the enzymes in caramel and crystal malts are destroyed by the extreme heat. I’m hoping to make a 100% Opal 22 barleywine this week and I will keep you posted on my efforts

#49 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:47 AM

That was an informative answer,even more so the second time :D .  It makes me want to get some Opal 44 and give it a try.  I think the toffee character would be nice in a Mild or Brown ale.

Edited by HVB, 18 October 2019 - 06:47 AM.

#50 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:51 AM

That was an informative answer,even more so the second time :D .  It makes me want to get some Opal 44 and give it a try.  I think the toffee character would be nice in a Mild or Brown ale.

Agree on both.  Or a golden ale with nobles

#51 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:00 AM

Good info. Based on this thread I bought some of the Mecca munich, Opal 22 & 44 for a sort of Munich Dunkel bastardization. Should arrive today, along with some of their wheat for a NEIPA.

#52 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:24 AM

Good info. Based on this thread I bought some of the Mecca munich, Opal 22 & 44 for a sort of Munich Dunkel bastardization. Should arrive today, along with some of their wheat for a NEIPA.

Let us know what you did and how it turned out.  I made an amber with Matolius and it was rich and delicious.

#53 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:16 AM

Ordered a couple of 55lb sacks of grain yesterday from LP, along with a lb of roasted barley and a 10lb sack of Munich.

Noticed that the shipping has increased a bit since my last order; total shipping charge was $41, and I'm in the same state as they are (opposite corner of OH from me).

Not enough to make me consider going back to my LHBS, but still a bit of a bruise on the ol' wallet.

#54 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:55 AM

^^ I'd say..................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users