#21 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:57 AM

Are they different than "regular" halertau?

There really is no ":regualr" Hallertau, unless you mean every hop grown in the Hallertau region.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:27 AM

A couple other thoughts:  I drank two of these Paulaner Original Munich Lager cans on the train.  Then we got to the restaurant and I ordered a local pilsner (Flywheel by Metropolitan) and I honestly couldn't believe how bad it was... cloudy, sweet in the finish, clunky overall, out of balance, etc.  It was a trainwreck.  Next I ordered a Lagunitas Pils and it was much better... clear, balanced, drier.  We ended up at Harry Caray's restaurant sitting in the bar watching the end of the Cubs-White Sox game and I just gave up on pilsners and had a Daisy Cutter by Half Acre instead.  It's clear that American breweries (generally) whiff on German styles although I know there are exceptions.  If the Flywheel was the first beer I had yesterday it may have come across differently.  It's probably not fair to compare it to Paulaner.  

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:35 AM

A couple other thoughts:  I drank two of these Paulaner Original Munich Lager cans on the train.  Then we got to the restaurant and I ordered a local pilsner (Flywheel by Metropolitan) and I honestly couldn't believe how bad it was... cloudy, sweet in the finish, clunky overall, out of balance, etc.  It was a trainwreck.  Next I ordered a Lagunitas Pils and it was much better... clear, balanced, drier.  We ended up at Harry Caray's restaurant sitting in the bar watching the end of the Cubs-White Sox game and I just gave up on pilsners and had a Daisy Cutter by Half Acre instead.  It's clear that American breweries (generally) whiff on German styles although I know there are exceptions.  If the Flywheel was the first beer I had yesterday it may have come across differently.  It's probably not fair to compare it to Paulaner.  

You need to get some Notch or Suarez Family beers.  Maybe Mary or Marie from Hill Farmstead.  We can change your views on American German styles!  Come on out east and we can drink some beers.

I would not throw Daisy Cutter out though, very enjoyable beer.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:39 AM

You need to get some Notch or Suarez Family beers.  Maybe Mary or Marie from Hill Farmstead.  We can change your views on American German styles!  Come on out east and we can drink some beers.

I would not throw Daisy Cutter out though, very enjoyable beer.

Yeah, the Daisy Cutter is excellent.

Someone mentioned Von Trapp having good German styles and the helles that Lefty sent me from Stitch House was really on the money.  Lagunitas Pils was quite good and I haven't had much of it so that was a nice surprise after the Flywheel.  It's just that central-European beer is almost universally excellent when you have it there and there is still a good amount of mediocre craft beer made in the US... not only for German styles but all styles.  

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, the Daisy Cutter is excellent.

Someone mentioned Von Trapp having good German styles and the helles that Lefty sent me from Stitch House was really on the money.  Lagunitas Pils was quite good and I haven't had much of it so that was a nice surprise after the Flywheel.  It's just that central-European beer is almost universally excellent when you have it there and there is still a good amount of mediocre craft beer made in the US... not only for German styles but all styles.  

I have Von Trapp Helles in my fridge right now!

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:18 PM

SEND SOME TO KEN!  :lol:

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:35 PM

There really is no ":regualr" Hallertau, unless you mean every hop grown in the Hallertau region.

so what am I generally getting when I get hops that don't have any modifier and they just say hallertau?  are all of the different hallertaus just the same hop grown in different regions?

I love all their beers.  the vienna lager is excellent as well.

#28 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:45 AM

I think there are slight differences between Hallertau variants.  Unless the variant is specified, all you know is that they were grown in the Hallertau region.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

I think there are slight differences between Hallertau variants.  Unless the variant is specified, all you know is that they were grown in the Hallertau region.

I have some hops right now that are just described as "Hallertau".  I occasionally see Hallertau Mittelfruh, Hallertau Tradition, Hallertau Blanc, Hallertau Select, etc.  Sometimes I see Magnum described as Hallertau Magnum.  That suggests that there are hops known as Mittelfruh, Tradition, Blanc, Select, Magnum, etc. and they're all grown in the Hallertau region.  What it does not explain is... what hop are you getting if it's just described as Hallertau?  Is it Hallertau Hallertau?

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

I have some hops right now that are just described as "Hallertau".  I occasionally see Hallertau Mittelfruh, Hallertau Tradition, Hallertau Blanc, Hallertau Select, etc.  Sometimes I see Magnum described as Hallertau Magnum.  That suggests that there are hops known as Mittelfruh, Tradition, Blanc, Select, Magnum, etc. and they're all grown in the Hallertau region.  What it does not explain is... what hop are you getting if it's just described as Hallertau?  Is it Hallertau Hallertau?

Blanc is not going to be anywhere near Mittlefruh, tradition, select or any of those.  I have some that i have not had time to play with but I am pretty sure a helles with blanc will not be the classic beer you intended.  I bet it would be good tho!

Hallertau Blanc, daughter of Cascade, was released to the world in 2012. Established on the Hüll farm in the German Hallertau region, it was grown primarily for use in American-style Ales. Hallertau Blanc’s flavor profile is said to be fruity, with wine-like qualities of gooseberry and grass, similar to that of Sauvignon Blanc. It also features a complex aroma profile with notes of cassis and elderflower in addition to grapes, grapefruit and lemongrass. Other notes detected in trials have been passionfruit, pineapple and gooseberry.

http://www.hopslist....allertau-blanc/

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:02 AM

Blanc is not going to be anywhere near Mittlefruh, tradition, select or any of those.  I have some that i have not had time to play with but I am pretty sure a helles with blanc will not be the classic beer you intended.  I bet it would be good tho!

Hallertau Blanc, daughter of Cascade, was released to the world in 2012. Established on the Hüll farm in the German Hallertau region, it was grown primarily for use in American-style Ales. Hallertau Blanc’s flavor profile is said to be fruity, with wine-like qualities of gooseberry and grass, similar to that of Sauvignon Blanc. It also features a complex aroma profile with notes of cassis and elderflower in addition to grapes, grapefruit and lemongrass. Other notes detected in trials have been passionfruit, pineapple and gooseberry.

I played with a number of those and one of my favorites to come out of that group (which included Opal and some others) was Hallertau Select.  It was quite nice.  

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:15 AM

I played with a number of those and one of my favorites to come out of that group (which included Opal and some others) was Hallertau Select.  It was quite nice.  

I have a pound of Opal, decent golden lager hop?

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:18 AM

I have a pound of Opal, decent golden lager hop?

Yes.  Higher alpha and dual-purpose, IIRC but not quite as 'fine' as some of the nobles.  

#34 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:14 PM

Blanc is not going to be anywhere near Mittlefruh, tradition, select or any of those. I have some that i have not had time to play with but I am pretty sure a helles with blanc will not be the classic beer you intended. I bet it would be good tho!

Hallertau Blanc, daughter of Cascade, was released to the world in 2012. Established on the Hüll farm in the German Hallertau region, it was grown primarily for use in American-style Ales. Hallertau Blanc’s flavor profile is said to be fruity, with wine-like qualities of gooseberry and grass, similar to that of Sauvignon Blanc. It also features a complex aroma profile with notes of cassis and elderflower in addition to grapes, grapefruit and lemongrass. Other notes detected in trials have been passionfruit, pineapple and gooseberry.

Blanc pils FTW.

#35 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:54 PM

I believe that's the generic description.  I'll try to remember to ask Stan next week.  If anyone knows, he will.

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:59 PM

I believe that's the generic description.  I'll try to remember to ask Stan next week.  If anyone knows, he will.

Please share. These are hops I use a lot and I'd love to straighten that out in my brain. Cheers.

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:59 PM

You have your New England brewery tours all lined up for after HomebrewCon?

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:33 PM

You have your New England brewery tours all lined up for after HomebrewCon?

if possible I'd meet up for a beer with the famous denny conn.  I could check it off the bucket list :P

#39 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:49 PM

if possible I'd meet up for a beer with the famous denny conn. I could check it off the bucket list :P

I agree, I would be up for that. Funny, I was really looking forward to HomebrewCon so close but now that it is here I just can't get the time.

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:54 PM

Any suggestions for Denny? Jack's Abbey? I've never been but I like thier beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users