54 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:58 AM

... while I wait for some of these latest beers to be ready.  I was at the store and picked up some Stiegl Radler for my wife and next to that there are usually some interesting 4-packs of 16oz cans... sometimes Radeburger, sometimes Krombacher, sometimes the Polish beer Zywiec or Tyskie, etc.  The other day they had Carlsberg for $2.99 for four 16-ouncers.  I had one last night and it was delicious.  Not sure I have ever had a Carlsberg (other than an Elephant) but at that price... I'm going to pick up some more!  There were also 32 oz cans of some Russian beer with a big-busted lady on the can.  I can't seem to find an image of it so I'll have to snap a pic when I go.  I have no homebrewed gold lagers at the moment so this is my fix.  

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

Here we go:

zz-russian-beer.jpg

She looks like she means business.  :D  Also, all the Carlsberg was gone today.   :mellow:

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49855 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

Baltika 9 gets you wasted.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:58 AM

Especially "BIG SIZE".  :lol:

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:14 PM

I will take 6 please!

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49855 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

Especially "BIG SIZE". :lol:

Plastic two liter ftw

#7 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:49 AM

I drank a lot of Carlsberg on a trip to Ireland several years ago.   I was amazed at how prevalent it was there.  Always a tap in every pub next to the Guinness.   It was tasty, however.  

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:52 AM

I drank a lot of Carlsberg on a trip to Ireland several years ago.   I was amazed at how prevalent it was there.  Always a tap in every pub next to the Guinness.   It was tasty, however.  

Yeah, it's funny you say that because at a wedding near Atlanta a couple weekends ago we went into an Irish joint and had Guinness but there was a Carlsberg tap right next to it as well.  I remember (barely) at the end of the night I asked for a small Carlsberg... I think I drank it too.  :lol:

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49855 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:43 AM

Small? Seriously Ken? :)

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:46 AM

Two of my kids and I hopped on the train to meet the wife in the big city for dinner last night. On the train my daughter suggested we bring something to drink so I looked in the bar fridge and remembered that I bought a 4-pack of 16oz Paulaner Original Munich Lager.  Damn, what a great beer.  It's been awhile since I had it but it was just fantastic.  Everything about it was perfect... flavor, aroma, carbonation, it was crisp, clean, balanced, great yeast character, yum.  I have no idea how they make it but if anyone has a recipe that they consider to be close, it would be great.  I assume mostly pils, maybe a smidge of munich 1 or vienna, noble hops with some saved for close to the end of the boil and maybe 2124 but hard to tell on the yeast.  I was drinking it out of a can so I couldn't see the color but I have 2 left so I'll do some 'research'.   Their Marzen is excellent too.  

#11 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:03 AM

Yeah, it's funny you say that because at a wedding near Atlanta a couple weekends ago we went into an Irish joint and had Guinness but there was a Carlsberg tap right next to it as well.  I remember (barely) at the end of the night I asked for a small Carlsberg... I think I drank it too.  :lol:

Currently in Ireland (well, at lest Dublin and the other cities I've been to) you'll find Guinness, Heineken (they have a plant in Cork), Coors Light, Budweiser, Carlsberg (though not always), and Bulmers cider

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:09 AM

Currently in Ireland (well, at lest Dublin and the other cities I've been to) you'll find Guinness, Heineken (they have a plant in Cork), Coors Light, Budweiser, Carlsberg (though not always), and Bulmers cider

Back in the day you might see Guinness alongside Harp.  I remember being at some Irish bar somewhere and a real Irish couple sat down at the next table (at least the accent suggested they were Irish) and both of them just said, "I'll have the lager".  That struck me as weird but the server brought out two glasses of gold beer with Harp logos on them.   :huh:

#13 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:31 AM

Back in the day you might see Guinness alongside Harp.  I remember being at some Irish bar somewhere and a real Irish couple sat down at the next table (at least the accent suggested they were Irish) and both of them just said, "I'll have the lager".  That struck me as weird but the server brought out two glasses of gold beer with Harp logos on them.   :huh:

still happens to an extent... but more people ask for brand names now... and the beer I forgot to include is that most places also have Hophouse 13, which is a Guinness gold hoppy lager. Uses Mosaic hops and one year they bought almost the entire crop... they developed it in their experimental brewery in Dublin, the Open Gate Brewery.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:37 AM

The Paulaner SITE says that the beer is simply pilsner malt plus Hallertau Tradition hops. I guess the pilsner-malt-only is not surprising but the hops are. I put together a recipe with Barke Pils, some Munich 1 and all Hallertau (regular Hallertau) and 2124 with some late Hallertau and a bit of additional sulfate. This is a delicious beer.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

Why are the hops surprising? I don't think I've used tradition before.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:29 AM

Why are the hops surprising? I don't think I've used tradition before.

I was wondering that as well.  It is pretty much what I would expect from a beer over there.  

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

I was wondering that as well. It is pretty much what I would expect from a beer over there.

Are they different than "regular" halertau?

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

Are they different than "regular" halertau?

I like that alpha range for them http://beerlegends.c...-tradition-hops

Hallertauer Tradition Hops resembles Hallertau Mittelfruh in many ways. It has a slightly higher alpha acid rating at 4.6%-7.0% making it a good aroma variety. Tradition has relatively low co-humulone and ample humulene oil, which contributes to an earthy and grassy aroma, that is dominated by sweet tones of nectarous fruits including raisins. The humulene itself degrades rapidly in heat, so preserve the earthy character Hallertauer Tradition should be used late in the boil, or during dry hop additions in beer.

As mentioned, Hallertauer Tradition was bred for its resistance to common diseases in the area including Verticillium Wilt, Downy Mildew and Powdery Mildew, with success. The medium size compact cones are ready early to mid season after a vigorous growth cycle. Hallertauer Tradition has reasonably well storage capabilities as well. It is one of those hops from the Hallertau region that has helped to define the German Pilsners and Hefeweizen beers.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

I was wondering that as well.  It is pretty much what I would expect from a beer over there.

Tradition is good for bittering but I assume some were added late too and they're a little rough when you add them late. Of course, the ones I have used were probably not as fresh either.  I tried using them just like Hallertau, Mittelfruh or Tettnanger and their character was not as clean when used later in the boil.  My guess is that Paulaner's hops are in MUCH better condition than the ones I used.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:51 AM

Also, that site is a little dangerous because you can also check out their Oktoberfest Marzen (and there's a video there too) which shows just pilsner malt, Munich 2 and Herklules and Tradition hops. That's also a delicious beer and I now have much inspiration for this 2124.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users