#21 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:09 AM

Just talked to a few brewing buddies; we had a group brew planned for March. If 5 of us show up, we'll split the bag 5 ways. passing on the savings to a few buddies. 

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:18 AM

For some upcoming, warm-weather batches I planned to make some "American Lager" and even *gasp!* some batches of what I would call Caribbean Lager.  Very pale, balanced, refreshing.  I was thinking "How do I make a beer that boring?  Use Wyeast 2007 or something?"  :lol:  But maybe using the Briess Pilsen malt would help.  Anyway... I bought a bag.  

#23 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:55 AM

Unless things have changed I haven't had good experiences with Briess 2-row and at that price I'm still not willing to try it again. Inconsistent efficiency and fairly bland. All my inconsistent efficiency issues went away since switching to other 2-rows.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:24 AM

So now that this stuff is on the way, what would you guys do with it assuming that most of the criticism is true... it's 'bland'?  If I chew a few kernels of a decent pilsner malt, I get some grape nuts and graham cracker and if I chew a better pilsner (Barke maybe) I get more of that flavor.  I assume that if I chew on some of this Briess that it will taste like I'm chewing the paper sack that it comes in.  So how to improve it?  I don't want to use my Barke to make it better because then I'm diluting the awesomeness of the Barke.  Maybe get some Weyermann Vienna or Munich 1 and blend it?  Get some Crystal 10 or a bunch of Carahell or even something like a CaraVienne or CaraRuby to punch it up a little bit?  I'm not going to attempt to make a helles or other European-style lager with it if it's that boring.  Thoughts?

#25 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:24 AM

The times I used Briess pils years ago, I didn't find it necessarily bland, but by itself, I don't think it has quite the same level of character we get from the Euro pils malts; the character is there, but not as strong.

But definitely chew of a few kernels first and decide for yourself.  Worst-case scenario, you incorporate a bit of Munich/Vienna, or some light crystal malts, to help round out the grist.

In my experience with it, it does produce a very pale wort, so you might end up using a smidge of some other slightly darker malts, just for color if nothing else.

I do recall making a golden Belgian strong with it (a la Duvel) which turned out great, and not bland at all.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:39 AM

The times I used Briess pils years ago, I didn't find it necessarily bland, but by itself, I don't think it has quite the same level of character we get from the Euro pils malts; the character is there, but not as strong.

But definitely chew of a few kernels first and decide for yourself.  Worst-case scenario, you incorporate a bit of Munich/Vienna, or some light crystal malts, to help round out the grist.

In my experience with it, it does produce a very pale wort, so you might end up using a smidge of some other slightly darker malts, just for color if nothing else.

I do recall making a golden Belgian strong with it (a la Duvel) which turned out great, and not bland at all.

Yeah, much agreed.  Also, it would be rare for me to make a "gold lager" and use only pilsner anyway... I almost always have some vienna or munich in there along with carahell or something.  So in this case I might just use more.  It seems like 20-25 pounds of some good Munich 1 would be enough to turn this bag of Briess Pilsen malt from bland to grand.  Okay, maybe not grand.  :P

#27 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:42 AM

Just talked to the guys at LP; their sale was apparently so successful they had to order more grain from Briess to cover the demand.  A nice problem to have, no doubt.

They said my order will ship out tomorrow most likely, and it should arrive on Thurs.  Cool.

They also said they (LP) now get Briess malts direct from Briess (no more going thru a distributor), and while they can't offer Briess this cheap all the time (this sale's prices are LP's cost), they'll be able to offer Briess malts at a pretty good price point (not sure exactly what that is yet), since they buy direct now and don't have to pay a distro's markup.

Glad I'm shopping with them.  Good folks to work with.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:16 AM

Just talked to the guys at LP; their sale was apparently so successful they had to order more grain from Briess to cover the demand.  A nice problem to have, no doubt.

They said my order will ship out tomorrow most likely, and it should arrive on Thurs.  Cool.

They also said they (LP) now get Briess malts direct from Briess (no more going thru a distributor), and while they can't offer Briess this cheap all the time (this sale's prices are LP's cost), they'll be able to offer Briess malts at a pretty good price point (not sure exactly what that is yet), since they buy direct now and don't have to pay a distro's markup.

Glad I'm shopping with them.  Good folks to work with.

I was mildly surprised that my order had a status of "awaiting shipment" since last Friday.  I'm not really in a hurry for it but I was curious about it because LP is one of the quicker turnaround places I work with.  Some other brewers have mentioned that the Briess Pilsen malt should work nicely for the American Lagers and "Caribbean Lagers" I'm planning on making.  Cheers B.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

B:  Any update?  My order status still shows "awaiting shipment".  

#30 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:31 PM

B:  Any update?  My order status still shows "awaiting shipment".  

Same here.  Not sure what the holdup is.  Still hoping for delivery tomorrow.

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:56 PM

Same here.  Not sure what the holdup is.  Still hoping for delivery tomorrow.

I would think you would have gotten a ship notification if it was coming tomorrow but I will send positive vibes.  :D

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:03 AM

Did you get the email this morning?  There was a shipment delay from Briess (apparently weather-related) and so now LP thinks they'll have the additional malt on Friday or Monday and then they'll ship it out.  They were so overwhelmed by that sale that they ordered an additional 11 pallets of malt.  They also apologized and said that they know LP customers expect better from them and they also gave everyone the option to cancel their order too.  They do seem very solid in the way they handle things and this looks like it couldn't be helped.  

#33 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:14 AM

Did you get the email this morning?  There was a shipment delay from Briess (apparently weather-related) and so now LP thinks they'll have the additional malt on Friday or Monday and then they'll ship it out.  They were so overwhelmed by that sale that they ordered an additional 11 pallets of malt.  They also apologized and said that they know LP customers expect better from them and they also gave everyone the option to cancel their order too.  They do seem very solid in the way they handle things and this looks like it couldn't be helped.  

No, i didn't get that email, but what you got lines up exactly with what I heard from them when I called on Tuesday to check on my order.

No biggie, IMO; i've got enough grain to see me through for a while, and as you said, I don't think the situation could've been avoided, considering the weather in Wisconsin this time of year.

#34 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:20 AM

Did you get the email this morning? There was a shipment delay from Briess (apparently weather-related) and so now LP thinks they'll have the additional malt on Friday or Monday and then they'll ship it out. They were so overwhelmed by that sale that they ordered an additional 11 pallets of malt. They also apologized and said that they know LP customers expect better from them and they also gave everyone the option to cancel their order too. They do seem very solid in the way they handle things and this looks like it couldn't be helped.

Just got that e-mail. LP's customer service is a class act.

#35 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:27 AM

Just got that e-mail. LP's customer service is a class act.

Same here, and agreed.

#36 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:08 PM

Just saw an email from LP that my order shipped and wll be here tomorrow by the end of the day.

Can't complain about that.

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

Just saw an email from LP that my order shipped and wll be here tomorrow by the end of the day.

Can't complain about that.

w00t!  

Yeah, I feel like they're busting their butts to finish this thing.  

#38 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:13 PM

w00t!  

Yeah, I feel like they're busting their butts to finish this thing.  

Agreed.  Something my former LHBS wouldn't be bothered with; nice to see a small business give a toss about their customers.

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:41 PM

Just got my email too.  Not sure if mine is arriving tomorrow but Monday works.  I probably won't brew with this stuff for awhile.  Let's compare notes when we brew with this stuff and see if we're all "HEY THIS IS NOT BAD!" or "OMG, THIS STUFF TASTES LIKE CARDBOARD!".  :lol:

#40 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:28 PM

Just got my email too.  Not sure if mine is arriving tomorrow but Monday works.  I probably won't brew with this stuff for awhile.  Let's compare notes when we brew with this stuff and see if we're all "HEY THIS IS NOT BAD!" or "OMG, THIS STUFF TASTES LIKE CARDBOARD!".  :lol:

Sounds like a plan.  I cut my all-grain brewing teeth with Briess 2-row and pale ale malts.

Ought to be nostalgic if nothing else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users