50 replies to this topic

#41 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:08 PM

Mine is arriving Saturday.  I kinda want to taste it and see how much flavor it has.  

#42 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:53 PM

My order arrived 20 minutes ago; it's now de-bagged and safely tucked away in a sealed Vittles Vault.

One thing I noticed off the top: Briess has seriously improved the packaging for their 50lb bags of grain.

Used to be a heavy paper, taped across the top, but now they use a heavier, plastic-reinforced bag, with a stitched closure a la Weyermann, Avangard, etc.

Pleasantly impressed.  And the malt smelled/tasted nice, too.

#43 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:53 PM

You tasted it?  Mmm, that's a good sign.  Cheers B.

#44 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:32 AM

I keep thinking this thread is going to be about propane (and propane accessories).

I'm sure the malt is going to do the job.  as I said I might not try to have it stand on it's own in a (eta: german/czech) pils or a helles but in a lot of other things it will very likely do pretty well :cheers:

Edited by Zsasz, 16 February 2019 - 10:40 AM.

#45 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:56 AM

I keep thinking this thread is going to be about propane (and propane accessories).

I'm sure the malt is going to do the job.  as I said I might not try to have it stand on it's own in a (eta: german/czech) pils or a helles but in a lot of other things it will very likely do pretty well :cheers:

I munched on a few more grain kernels this a.m.  My impressions:  it's a very clean malt; doesn't have the character that we expect from a continental pils malt, (and IMO, nor should it), but still pleasantly but mildly sweet.

Would it fool the taster if someone tried to pass it off in a German-style pils?  Highly unlikely.

But I think for most any American style, it will do the job and then get out of the way and let character malts, hops, yeast have center stage.

The Briess website also show it has a DP of ~150 or so; ought to mow thru any starches like a buzzsaw.

#46 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:50 PM

I munched on a few more grain kernels this a.m.  My impressions:  it's a very clean malt; doesn't have the character that we expect from a continental pils malt, (and IMO, nor should it), but still pleasantly but mildly sweet.

Would it fool the taster if someone tried to pass it off in a German-style pils?  Highly unlikely.

But I think for most any American style, it will do the job and then get out of the way and let character malts, hops, yeast have center stage.

The Briess website also show it has a DP of ~150 or so; ought to mow thru any starches like a buzzsaw.

I remember reading something when I was a new brewer that said that "American beer drinkers" would grimace at European-style pale lagers because the malt has more flavor than they're used to.  So if someone wanted to make a true American-style lager, maybe a Mexican lager, Caribbean lager or possibly a Canadian lager, this might work.  I plan to make some pale lagers with it and add some Vienna or Munich 1 just to slightly boost the character for my own personal tastes.  My bag arrived today.  The paperwork was laying on top of the bag inside the box and the paper was wet.  The bag was slightly wet as well.  I'm envisioning the guys at LP outside in the rain/sleet/snow quickly taking the sacks of grain and getting them ready to ship out.  I haven't tasted it yet... I don't want to open it until I need it. 

#47 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:44 PM

I remember reading something when I was a new brewer that said that "American beer drinkers" would grimace at European-style pale lagers because the malt has more flavor than they're used to.  So if someone wanted to make a true American-style lager, maybe a Mexican lager, Caribbean lager or possibly a Canadian lager, this might work.  I plan to make some pale lagers with it and add some Vienna or Munich 1 just to slightly boost the character for my own personal tastes.  My bag arrived today.  The paperwork was laying on top of the bag inside the box and the paper was wet.  The bag was slightly wet as well.  I'm envisioning the guys at LP outside in the rain/sleet/snow quickly taking the sacks of grain and getting them ready to ship out.  I haven't tasted it yet... I don't want to open it until I need it. 

Sucks about the bag being wet; if there's any good news, Briess uses a much heavier/water-resistant (seems like a plastic coating overlaying the paper liner) type of bag than the old taped-shut paper bag (that used to tear all too easily) they used to use.

If I had to guess, I'd wager your grain is ok.

#48 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:50 PM

Sucks about the bag being wet; if there's any good news, Briess uses a much heavier/water-resistant (seems like a plastic coating overlaying the paper liner) type of bag than the old taped-shut paper bag (that used to tear all too easily) they used to use.

If I had to guess, I'd wager your grain is ok.

Yeah, my guess is that the grain is 100% dry.  The paper laying on top was wet and there were a couple drops on the bag but they appeared to be rolling off because the outside seems plastic-coated as you say.  Looking forward to seeing how this malt performs.  Hopefully we're not disappointed.  $29.99 for 50 pounds of pilsen malt is unheard of.  

#49 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, my guess is that the grain is 100% dry.  The paper laying on top was wet and there were a couple drops on the bag but they appeared to be rolling off because the outside seems plastic-coated as you say.  Looking forward to seeing how this malt performs.  Hopefully we're not disappointed.  $29.99 for 50 pounds of pilsen malt is unheard of.  

True that. 

#50 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

You know, early in the low-O2 odyssey there was talk about mixing pilsner malt with a pale ale type malt.  I wonder if mixing the Briess pilsen 50/50 with some of this Golden Promise that I have would work.  I assume that the Briess is going to need some "oomph" and I was originally thinking Vienna or Munich but the Golden Promise has some depth too.  I'm just noodling out loud.  :P

#51 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:14 PM

You know, early in the low-O2 odyssey there was talk about mixing pilsner malt with a pale ale type malt.  I wonder if mixing the Briess pilsen 50/50 with some of this Golden Promise that I have would work.  I assume that the Briess is going to need some "oomph" and I was originally thinking Vienna or Munich but the Golden Promise has some depth too.  I'm just noodling out loud.  :P

Mixing Briess pils with something like GP will only lead to good things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users