663 replies to this topic

#201 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54123 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

Jever is 75 Sulfate and 30 Chloride.  I have been using that for all my light lagers since Denny suggested it before.  I really like it.

So that doesn't create a sort of chalky character in a pale beer with a good amount of hops added early?  I see a lot of lagers on my horizon and I would try this water profile for sure.  Cheers.

#202 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

Thanks Denny.  Heavy on the hops early and light hops late.  So for your water would you say that you had more sulfate than chloride?  For many "gold" styles I have been leaving my 27ppm of sulfate alone and just adding CaCl... but for a Jever-type water profile I assume you had a good amount of sulfate in the water.  Cheers.

CAlcs to about 35 IBU, 1.056 OG.  Yeah, after adjusting the water there's more sulfate than chloride. 

#203 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

Next Monday, pilsner day.  Taking inspiration from some of the most recent posts in this thread.

Need some pale lager goodness soon, as summer is ramping up and the thirst is first.

Looking at a grist of pils + a bit of Munich, then Magnum (bittering) and a heavy dose of Hallertau for the late additions.  Ever-reliable 34/70 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

Shooting for ~1.060 and ~50 IBU's for 5.5 gal in the primary.

#204 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54123 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

I have a pilsner coming up that will either be made with 2124 or Bayern.  Similar recipe but probably lower IBUs and ABV.  Cascade Pale Ale being made tomorrow sometime.

#205 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

My annual Strawberry Vanilla Cream Ale

#206 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

10 gallons of weissbier tomorrow.   It's only going to be 103 tomorrow.   What the heck am I thinking...

#207 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:48 AM

I also plan on a Cascade Pale Ale this weekend.  This is an adaptation on Nebraska Cardinal Red that was on a Can You Brew It episode.  Seems like a decent change from what I have been brewing.

42952081841_21a0519b7e_c.jpg

#208 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

All prepped for an all Centennial RyePA tomorrow.  The EHLT will start heating at 5:30

#209 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54123 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:03 PM

I also plan on a Cascade Pale Ale this weekend.  This is an adaptation on Nebraska Cardinal Red that was on a Can You Brew It episode.  Seems like a decent change from what I have been brewing.

42952081841_21a0519b7e_c.jpg

Are you making this as a low-O2 beer with spunding, no finings, air conditioning and leather seats?  :P

#210 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:02 PM

Are you making this as a low-O2 beer with spunding, no finings, air conditioning and leather seats? :P

I wrote a big post that disappeared so in short LoDo hot side not going to spund unless it is with sugar in the keg.

#211 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54123 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:13 PM

Stupid disappearing posts.  <_<

#212 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9148 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:54 PM

Doing my second batch on the Grainfather. They were offering free kits with them, so I ordered a kit called “Black Eyed Bock.” I figured a free bock kit was a no brainer.

Turn out I missed the correlation....”Black Eye Bock” is my shop’s Shiner Bock clone. Ah well, it’ll be nice to have on tap. It’s close to boil, and smells freakibg amazing.

#213 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:29 AM

Due to a current shortage in the kegerator I need to brews a batch this weekend.

I'm thinking about making my mainstay Vienna Lager but truthfully I'm just not feeling it. Kinda bored. I don't want a Pils nor a Pale Ale. I need some motivation to use the Bayern a 4th time but just don't know which way to go....

Help..

#214 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:31 AM

Due to a current shortage in the kegerator I need to brews a batch this weekend.

I'm thinking about making my mainstay Vienna Lager but truthfully I'm just not feeling it. Kinda bored. I don't want a Pils nor a Pale Ale. I need some motivation to use the Bayern a 4th time but just don't know which way to go....

Help..

I know you said you do not want a pils but what about a rye pils?  I find the rye gives it a nice change up from a regular pils.  My other thought would be a Czech style beer.  Look up one of Chils Amber lagers.

#215 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:34 AM

I know you said you do not want a pils but what about a rye pils?  I find the rye gives it a nice change up from a regular pils.  My other thought would be a Czech style beer.  Look up one of Chils Amber lagers.

Ooooh yea that amber was super sexy. Gotta find that to read over. Great tip drezz. What's this ryp pils idea. You got a map?

#216 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:45 AM

Ooooh yea that amber was super sexy. Gotta find that to read over. Great tip drezz. What's this ryp pils idea. You got a map?

Here is my last go.  I have done this with Sterling and then with Saaz.  I really like it.  The first version I did was with Bayern.

42097871915_3196bc4dce_c.jpg

#217 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:02 AM

Man, that looks delicious. All on hand too except for the Rye. Thanks Man.

#218 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:25 AM

Man, that looks delicious. All on hand too except for the Rye. Thanks Man.

Let me know if you ever brew it. 

#219 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:27 AM

Let me know if you ever brew it.

Will do! I'm thinkin the Red Lager rendition on Sunday. Ironically I have rye on my order list for an upcoming Rye-PA. Just might be a Rye Pils instead :)

#220 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54123 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

My Bayern starter is already rocking.  Made it yesterday (1.5L) and today it's bubbly and has about 2" of foam on the top and it smells lovely.  Brewing a version of my "American Lager" tomorrow... a mix of Avangard and Swaen pils, Weyermann Vienna, flaked corn and 4 ounces of each of CaraPils and Swaen Gold Hell.  Magnum to bitter, 1.5 ounces of Hallertau for 5 minutes and the Bayern yeast.  5%, 25 IBus, about 4-5 SRM.  Anyone else brewing this weekend?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users