#21 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

Brewery Ommegang is owned by Duvel. Not sure that counts as a macro tho.

#22 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

A lot of people were up in arms about the Sleeman/Unibroue deal. As far as I can tell, Unibroue's beers are as good as ever.

It didn't bother me when Sleeman bought up Unibroue and Upper Canada, but I'm not thrilled to have to buy beer that's lining the pockets of the Japanese. They haven't changed the beers at all, which is good, but I'd rather support local craft brewers and Canadian companies first.

#23 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28456 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:03 PM

I've done the tour probably 5 or 6 time in the past year and I've never experienced the answering questions for free stuff. Is this only a certain day of the week?

I am talking about the woodinville brewery not the east coast one.

#24 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

I think Basser told me that Sierra Nevada is a subsidiary or Coors... :devil:

#25 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:52 AM

I am talking about the woodinville brewery not the east coast one.

Doh - missed your location :devil:

#26 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:12 AM

Wouldn't that be a sad day. Sierra Nevada is still owned by one of the co-founders, Ken Grossman who has held the reigns since 1979. Molson-Coors has done an excellent job with The Blue Moon series in trying to disassociate themselves with the label though. That brand is quickly sweeping towards the top selling craft beer list in America. Now that it is Miller-Coors lots of advertising dollars are going to be put behind the brand this year. We'll see if their little darling will keep its "craft" feel with a huge multi media campaign.

#27 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

'dems fightin' words.BrewBasser

#28 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

Yeah, I used to like Redhook. Then I found out that they are associated with Bud. Now their ESB sucks!Sierra Nevada is pretty big these days. How much more bigger do they need to get to sell to qualify as "Mega Swill"? :rolf: :devil:

#29 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, I used to like Redhook. Then I found out that they are associated with Bud. Now their ESB sucks!Sierra Nevada is pretty big these days. How much more bigger do they need to get to sell to qualify as "Mega Swill"? :rolf: :devil:

We can get as big as we want, because we make good beer.Size had nothing to do with quality.(sorry Connie).BrewBasser

#30 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

We can get as big as we want, because we make good beer.Size had nothing to do with quality.(sorry Connie).BrewBasser

Exactly my point

#31 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

Correct - both large and small breweries can make great and crappy beer. :devil:

#32 jwatkins56550

jwatkins56550

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

I don't really have a problem with the concept of a mega-brewer buying a micro. If it was a micro I loved and they messed with the recipes, I'd be disappointed and would stop buying those products. But so far I don't see that becoming a widespread issue. A lot of people were up in arms about the Sleeman/Unibroue deal. As far as I can tell, Unibroue's beers are as good as ever.One nice benefit of these arrangements is that at many sporting venues, you can finally get a half-way decent beer! I usually knock back a few Redhook ESBs at the Blackhawks games. $7 for a Bud Light, $7.75 for Redhook... hmmm.... which one should I buy??What does bother me is when one of the big guys tries to pass off some of their products as "craft" beer. Blue Moon and all of its varients/flavors. Leinenkugels (which used to be a decent regional brewer), Michelob Amber Bock, etc... I suspect they turn many people away from good craft beer when they "try this fancy micro brew out" and realize they don't like it. I think I'm in a surly mood right now... if you happen to like those beers, please do not take my opinion personally. I won't hold it against you :devil:

I love the fact that I get a nice ESB at Panthers games!!!

#33 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:00 AM

Goose is only affiliated with A/B for distribution. They are autonomous to themselves otherwise.

I don't think this is true. It's been a while and I didn't go back and look it up, but I remember having discussions a while back of the head brewer up in Chicago being let go and AB bringing in their own guy.

#34 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

I don't think this is true. It's been a while and I didn't go back and look it up, but I remember having discussions a while back of the head brewer up in Chicago being let go and AB bringing in their own guy.

No disrespect intended, but unless you can cite something other than "discussions a while back" I don't think your statement holds water (or beer for that matter).The Goose Island / AB deal is about distribution. AB owns 40% of Widmer, and Widmer now owns about 40% of GI. There are many news stories that covered this...https://www.redorbit...will/index.htmlhttps://chicagoist.c...eer_company.phpJohn Hall is still the owner and chief executive. Greg Hall is still the head brewmaster. This is really old news.In more recent developments, GI brought in a new executive chef to revive the main brewpub's food offerings...https://www3.timeout...s-for-goose-20/And they've also release a couple new American wild ales to augment their Reserve line and a new Brewpub Heritage Collection so we can now buy a few classics that were once only available at the pub...https://www.chicagot...0,1110959.storyhttps://www.gooseisl...llection/30.php

#35 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

No disrespect intended, but unless you can cite something other than "discussions a while back" I don't think your statement holds water (or beer for that matter).

None taken...and I appreciate the info you posted. I know I saw something via email or forum about one of their brewers being removed, but it could have been in one of the pubs or perhaps was misinformation altogether.

#36 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

None taken...and I appreciate the info you posted. I know I saw something via email or forum about one of their brewers being removed, but it could have been in one of the pubs or perhaps was misinformation altogether.

They do have 3 operations going, so that definitely could be the case... the original Clybourn St brewpub, the Wrigleyville brewpub, and the Fulton St brewery. I'll see if I can dig up anything on that. Cheers!

#37 Bearphin

Bearphin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWest of Atlanta

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

The place to try Blue Moon in it's real original basis is at a Colorado Rockies game. The Sand Lot Brewry at Coors Field is the original home of Blue Moon White Ale. They actually came up with the recipe there and then started to mass produce it at the Golden Brewery.Always liked having a seriously good "micro brewery" at the ball park. Many a times I went to a game and never left the Sand Lot!!!

#38 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

I don't mind if a micro is partially owned by a macro...that has absolutely NO influence on my purchase decisions as a consumer.Good beer is good beer.

#39 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

Good beer is good beer.

Amen.

#40 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:09 PM

While we're at it, I believe Pilsener Urquell is owned by SABMiller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users