#1 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

I just found out AleSmith was bought by AB back in 2006. Or at least I found an old press release to that effect. https://www.truemind...ment-03-31.htmlIt looks like the IPA and a few other AleSmith brews have been reformulated and are now brewed at an AB location up in NorCal. Somehow I didn't realize AleSmith had been gobbled up. It makes me wonder how many other Micros are like this. Looking at AleSmith's website there is really nothing there to indicate they are part of AB (now Inbev I guess). I don't really drink a lot of AleSmith lately but one of my buddies who does and is a dedicated supporter of the small guy will probably think twice about dropping a few bucks on a 22 oz of mega-brewed AleSmith IPA if that is in fact what it is now. Ugh.

#2 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

I think that article was an April Fools' Joke.But, Blue Moon is owned by Coors. Leinenkugels is owned by SAB Miller. Redhook, Widmer and Goose Island all have some affiliation with ABIB.

#3 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

I heard that Widmer and Red Hook are AB owned (Wiki shows 25% ownership... I didnt know they were public). Their ESB is still good.All the jimmy buffet beers are AB. Kona too I believe.

#4 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

I think that article was an April Fools' Joke.But, Blue Moon is owned by Coors. Leinenkugels is owned by SAB Miller. Redhook, Widmer and Goose Island all have some affiliation with ABIB.

I dont think Blue Moon is the same thing. It's not generally thought to be a microbrewery. It's a brand that's made by Coors like Killians or Keystone. I guess I'm just being nitpicky. :unsure:

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

I heard that Widmer and Red Hook are AB owned (Wiki shows 25% ownership... I didnt know they were public). Their ESB is still good.All the jimmy buffet beers are AB. Kona too I believe.

I like most of the Redhook beers. The AB affiliation never bothered me.

#6 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

I like most of the Redhook beers. The AB affiliation never bothered me.

I have a Redhook Sunrye coming up in the rotation for a friend of mine. That's a real easy drinking summertime beer there.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

I have a Redhook Sunrye coming up in the rotation for a friend of mine. That's a real easy drinking summertime beer there.

It's funny you say that - that's probably the only one I don't like :unsure:Nothing inherently wrong with it though - just not my to my tastes :)

#8 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28456 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

I heard that Widmer and Red Hook are AB owned (Wiki shows 25% ownership... I didnt know they were public). Their ESB is still good.

I believe the redhook thing is for distribution. They still brew at their own place. The woodinville brewery is really close me and I've toured it a few times.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

I believe the redhook thing is for distribution. They still brew at their own place. The woodinville brewery is really close me and I've toured it a few times.

You are correct. The brewery is pretty big in Portsmouth. I could pretty much lead that tour at this point - literally word for word...

#10 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:03 AM

I think that article was an April Fools' Joke.

The 'Anheuser-Busch, Inc. products are brewed to be enjoyed responsibly by adults with no taste.Copyright 2006, All Rights Reserved' at the bottom of page leads me to believe you :unsure:

#11 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

The 'Anheuser-Busch, Inc. products are brewed to be enjoyed responsibly by adults with no taste.Copyright 2006, All Rights Reserved' at the bottom of page leads me to believe you :unsure:

Damn, that's funny. I had only noticed that a lot of the links don't work.

#12 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

Goose is only affiliated with A/B for distribution. They are autonomous to themselves otherwise.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:31 AM

Goose is only affiliated with A/B for distribution. They are autonomous to themselves otherwise.

That's all it takes - they are now macro-swill!!!! :unsure: (make sure your sarcasm detector is on)

#14 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28456 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

You are correct. The brewery is pretty big in Portsmouth. I could pretty much lead that tour at this point - literally word for word...

One of my buddies lives really close to the one out here and he/rommates go ever week and start off their pub night by taking the $1 tour (which provides drinks) week after week. Answering questions correctly on the tour = free drinks and swag, guess who gets a lot of correct questions, haha.

#15 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

As distribution can be the key to success for a micro, I think you will see a lot more of our favorites "buddy-up" with the macro companies to get into their distribution chain. This might result in the macro buying into the company, but not "owning" the company, or even having input in production or formulation, unless a production problem starts affecting delivery commits to the end customer in their networks.Just like a mom-and-pop company getting Wal-Mart to sell their products might mean success, getting into a macro distribution chain may mean success for our favorite micros. You might brew the best beer in the world, but you may never turn a profit if you can get it to the masses. None of that means you have to lower your standards :unsure:

#16 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

Oh jeez - I guess I've been had if it's a joke. I only stumbled upon that link in the first place as I was thinking about going over to AleSmith sometime today or next week and googled them to get the address - couldn't help but notice one of the top hits was something like "AB announces purchase of AleSmith" and my jaw dropped. If I had any spare time and computer skills (and wasn't so gullible) maybe I'd start a "Truth in Beer" blog or something.

#17 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

Oh jeez - I guess I've been had if it's a joke. I only stumbled upon that link in the first place as I was thinking about going over to AleSmith sometime today or next week and googled them to get the address - couldn't help but notice one of the top hits was something like "AB announces purchase of AleSmith" and my jaw dropped. If I had any spare time and computer skills (and wasn't so gullible) maybe I'd start a "Truth in Beer" blog or something.

That's ok... I got taken in by the "powdered beer" gag this April Fools Day by one of the on-line Beverage Supply Stores... was actually planning on ordering some tap handles from them, when my cousin sent it. Tried real hard to put in in the order, but quickly found out it was an April Fools joke.

#18 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

Unibroue is owned by Sleeman, who is owned by Sapporo. That sucks.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

One of my buddies lives really close to the one out here and he/rommates go ever week and start off their pub night by taking the $1 tour (which provides drinks) week after week. Answering questions correctly on the tour = free drinks and swag, guess who gets a lot of correct questions, haha.

I've done the tour probably 5 or 6 time in the past year and I've never experienced the answering questions for free stuff. Is this only a certain day of the week?

#20 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

I don't really have a problem with the concept of a mega-brewer buying a micro. If it was a micro I loved and they messed with the recipes, I'd be disappointed and would stop buying those products. But so far I don't see that becoming a widespread issue. A lot of people were up in arms about the Sleeman/Unibroue deal. As far as I can tell, Unibroue's beers are as good as ever.One nice benefit of these arrangements is that at many sporting venues, you can finally get a half-way decent beer! I usually knock back a few Redhook ESBs at the Blackhawks games. $7 for a Bud Light, $7.75 for Redhook... hmmm.... which one should I buy??What does bother me is when one of the big guys tries to pass off some of their products as "craft" beer. Blue Moon and all of its varients/flavors. Leinenkugels (which used to be a decent regional brewer), Michelob Amber Bock, etc... I suspect they turn many people away from good craft beer when they "try this fancy micro brew out" and realize they don't like it. I think I'm in a surly mood right now... if you happen to like those beers, please do not take my opinion personally. I won't hold it against you :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users