96 replies to this topic

#61 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:10 AM

Gentlemen, let's please compose ourselves. Clarity is not to be joked about.

Here's some inspiration for you. Now get to work, slacker! :lol:

americanlager2017e.jpg

#62 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

That makes me very thirsty and definitely an inspiration for my brew this weekend.

#63 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:50 AM

Ken, that looks awful!  Just send it to me and I will drain it for you!!

#64 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

It's especially cool when many of you's guys present your beer in a nicely posed picture :)

#65 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

Kegging this soon. TG came in at just under 1.010 (from 1.051 using S-189). Did a forced diacetyl test yesterday and none detected. I wanted to keg yesterday but decided to tear down and rebuild the keg and ran out of time.

I want to harvest the yeast cake and reuse at least once, possibly in a dunkel or schwarzbier but I also want to make a Victory Home Grown Lager "clone".

#66 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

I put another Vienna Lager on tap over the weekend and this one was made with S-189. It came out very nicely. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I had a more pale version of a Vienna Lager at a tap house in Bloomington, Indiana in September. I think I'm going to put something together with Vienna, Munich 2, pilsner and then just a half ounce of Carafa Special which should bring the SRM to about 8 or so. Bitter with Magnum and add some late Hallertau (1.5 ounces, probably) with 10 minutes left and then use M76 to ferment it all. The only question would be whether to make a starter with the M76 or just sprinkle it as Mangrove Jacks suggests.

#67 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

I kegged my version of this yesterday. Will give it a try tomorrow.

#68 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

Kegged 10 gallons of my latest Vienna yesterday. Definitely a good one to have too much of :)

#69 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:04 PM

Matt & Brother Poptop: What yeast did you use?

#70 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

Matt & Brother Poptop: What yeast did you use?

Combined slurries of WY2000 and 34/70 mixed together and about 8 ounces of pitched into each fermenter. This batch has wonderful yeasty goodness as it should :) Sort of out on the hop aroma and flavor at this point. Waiting for it to carb up. I know it's going to be good. Just can't put my finger on what Sterling brought to the party yet.

#71 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

Combined slurries of WY2000 and 34/70 mixed together and about 8 ounces of pitched into each fermenter. This batch has wonderful yeasty goodness as it should :) Sort of out on the hop aroma and flavor at this point. Waiting for it to carb up. I know it's going to be good. Just can't put my finger on what Sterling brought to the party yet.

Oh yeah, it's Hybrid Vienna Lager for you. That should work nicely... you may have created a completely new beer experience. :D Cheers Brother.

#72 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

Oh yeah, it's Hybrid Vienna Lager for you. That should work nicely... you may have created a completely new beer experience. :D Cheers Brother.

To reference another thread, now see if it said Hybrid Vienna on the chalkboard I wouldn't be upset hahaha

#73 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:08 PM

I used 34/70.

#74 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

The Vienna I mentioned (by The Tap Brewery) is called Brickyard and there are pics of it HERE. It has color, no question but in picture 1 and 3 you can tell that it's quite a bit more pale. The lighting in those shots is poor too. Anyway, I'm digging that so many of us are making a Vienna Lager and although they'll all probably be different, I'm sure they'll all be good. Cheers.

#75 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:34 PM

I put another Vienna Lager on tap over the weekend and this one was made with S-189. It came out very nicely. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I had a more pale version of a Vienna Lager at a tap house in Bloomington, Indiana in September. I think I'm going to put something together with Vienna, Munich 2, pilsner and then just a half ounce of Carafa Special which should bring the SRM to about 8 or so. Bitter with Magnum and add some late Hallertau (1.5 ounces, probably) with 10 minutes left and then use M76 to ferment it all. The only question would be whether to make a starter with the M76 or just sprinkle it as Mangrove Jacks suggests.

Looks like it's a dry yeast; if that's the case, I'd just sprinkle it on top of the wort, post-aeration, and let it go to town.

#76 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

Looks like it's a dry yeast; if that's the case, I'd just sprinkle it on top of the wort, post-aeration, and let it go to town.

I'm leaning in that direction. Chils mentioned that M84 was very, very slow to start and I don't want to take that chance. If I sprinkle, do I use two packs or just one? I have no issue using two... unless I only need one. :D

#77 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:00 PM

I'm leaning in that direction. Chils mentioned that M84 was very, very slow to start and I don't want to take that chance. If I sprinkle, do I use two packs or just one? I have no issue using two... unless I only need one. :D

The M76 I pitched acted similar to W34/70. I would pitch 2 packs if not making a starter and expect it to start slowly. I didn't like the slow starts I got when pitching dry yeast into 50F wort and that's partly why I do my drauflugenninpimpin

#78 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:35 AM

Ken, how does the S-189 compare to your normal Vienna yeast? Mine fermented pretty dry but I think the long mash (90+) played a big part in that as well.

#79 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:11 AM

Ken, how does the S-189 compare to your normal Vienna yeast? Mine fermented pretty dry but I think the long mash (90+) played a big part in that as well.

I like S-189 but I'm not necessarily in love with it. Using something like 2308, 2124 or Omega Bayern would be my preference. Chils has mentioned it and I agree... S-189 seems to do better in malty styles and as a result my latest Vienna Lager made with S-189 is very good. But that Omega yeast is SO unbelievably good that anything else is almost incomparable.

#80 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Side note from a whirfloc conversation we had, I did "chuck it into the kettle" at 10 minutes out from about 38 feet away :) Serious note, what a difference in clarity when I kegged my Vienna on Sunday. Almost clear and I like to think the tablet played a significant role. I took a draw from the uncarbed keg last night and it was brilliant. I still added some Knox this morning so by the time it's carbed I will have crystal Vienna :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users