96 replies to this topic

#41 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53860 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:55 AM

That's going to be real nice Drez. I primed and kegged mine tonight. The smell and the sample were, as Ken might put it, outrageous. Saving some Bayern for Pils and Helles next.

You sampled a Bayern beer? That's it. There's no going back! :D

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:17 AM

You sampled a Bayern beer? That's it. There's no going back! :D

I did, my session pils.  Really like what the yeast did there.  Woke up this morning to a starter of the saved yeast going crazy.  I will pitch latter this after noon and take all my readings.

#43 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

Well, my Vienna plans were foiled. Setting my sights on next weekend. Everything's ready to go besides the grind. I'm excited to hear more about y'alls batches.

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:10 AM

I didn't have enough dark Munich for a Dunkel so I did a modified version of this. Brew day was nice and easy, wort is chilling to pitching temps now and I am bringing some bayern back to life to pitch tomorrow.

22859677_10156976625239657_6988749773584

Came in right at 1.056.  I am liking the color already and the Bayern is chugging away nicely.

22894053_10156981573939657_6885401771404

#45 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53860 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:15 AM

Drez: You should be getting a nice aroma from that Bayern yeast soon. I can hear the Oompah music now.

In other news, this Vienna that I made last Friday with S-189 has been bubbling away nicely. Instead of using an ounce of late hops (Tettnanger), I used 1½ ounces (I know... don't get carried away, Ken) but I wanted to add just a bit more hop oomph to this batch. The aroma says it's working! :D I'm getting a pleasant hop aroma from this batch that I ordinarily don't get so I'm looking forward to it. Cheers gang!

#46 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:55 AM

I'm 9 days from pitching the S-189...visible fermentation activity stopped a few days ago. Would kegging this weekend (13 days) be too soon? Beer is sitting at 64F.

#47 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53860 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:00 AM

I'm 9 days from pitching the S-189...visible fermentation activity stopped a few days ago. Would kegging this weekend (13 days) be too soon? Beer is sitting at 64F.

Did the beer spend any time at a warmer temp? I have been doing this "5 days (or so) at 50°" thing and then I take it out and let it sit on the basement floor for another week to 10 days. I also swirl the primary a few times to make sure that I get the last few ticks of gravity down and then I allow it to sit for long enough that the beer is relatively clear before it hits the keg. I don't know if S-189 is prone to diacetyl but if you think the gravity is where it should be then I think you could go to a keg.

#48 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

I don't think there's a spot in my house above 66 unfortunately. Is that warm enough? Most of the fermentation was mid to upper 50s and I stopped chilling the water bath down about a day after the krausen started to drop. I can probably get the room bit warmer but not much. Maybe I'll give it another week.

#49 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53860 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

I don't think there's a spot in my house above 66 unfortunately. Is that warm enough? Most of the fermentation was mid to upper 50s and I stopped chilling the water bath down about a day after the krausen started to drop. I can probably get the room bit warmer but not much. Maybe I'll give it another week.

I doubt that it needs another week but I would at least swirl it just to make sure that the beer is ready to go. I know there is this "fast lager method" which seems to work well but I am generally not in THAT much of a hurry to get the beer to a keg and I would hate to rush it and have underattenuated beer or beer that had diacetyl or sulfur character that could have been removed with a few more days. 66° is just fine. 2-3 days and I think you would be golden.

#50 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

I agree on the 66 F part for a few days. I've fast lagered about 7 or 8 consecutive batches with great results. My yeasts have been 34/70 and WY2000 so far. Both traveled to 1.010. All beers have been a b!tch to clarify however and I do wonder if it is because the temperature increase but prolly has nothing to do with it. Have I mentioned how much I am enjoying making lagers? :)

#51 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53860 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

I agree on the 66 F part for a few days. I've fast lagered about 7 or 8 consecutive batches with great results. My yeasts have been 34/70 and WY2000 so far. Both traveled to 1.010. All beers have been a b!tch to clarify however and I do wonder if it is because the temperature increase but prolly has nothing to do with it. Have I mentioned how much I am enjoying making lagers? :)

Yeah, lagers are the bomb. Just like there are ale strains that contribute a certain character you can't get anywhere else, the same is true for lager strains. On the 'fast-track' thing, I like this 5 days at cooler temps and then just let the temp free-rise... the beers have been very good. But I haven't really tested the extreme quickness of it. I'm generally not that impatient and I think something good happens when you leave the beer on the basement floor for a week. The beers gets clearer and I think it has the chance to clean up anything that may be hanging around although the diacetyl and sulfur may get sent packing on day 6 and beyond... that's one of the pluses of the quick method. No issues clarifying here so what do you think it is? pH control? Whirfloc in the boil? Finings?

#52 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

Yeah, lagers are the bomb. Just like there are ale strains that contribute a certain character you can't get anywhere else, the same is true for lager strains. On the 'fast-track' thing, I like this 5 days at cooler temps and then just let the temp free-rise... the beers have been very good. But I haven't really tested the extreme quickness of it. I'm generally not that impatient and I think something good happens when you leave the beer on the basement floor for a week. The beers gets clearer and I think it has the chance to clean up anything that may be hanging around although the diacetyl and sulfur may get sent packing on day 6 and beyond... that's one of the pluses of the quick method. No issues clarifying here so what do you think it is? pH control? Whirfloc in the boil? Finings?

I'm generally not impatient and typically have something on tap to carry me to my next keg. But maybe I need to make more time for that rest. I don't use Moss or Whirfloc because I have never seen an actual difference with or without. My finings = Knox gelatin with the exception of my Budvar where I used Biofine. For the upcoming Vienna I plan on exercising my patients from the moment of fining and my first pull off the keg. For most of my lagers I twice dosed each keg with Knox.

#53 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16597 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

Keep trying with Whirlfoc would be my first advice to getting clearer beer.

#54 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

Keep trying with Whirlfoc would be my first advice to getting clearer beer.

I'll take a tab to the mortar and pestle on Sunday's batch Sir.

#55 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

I'll take a tab to the mortar and pestle on Sunday's batch Sir.

Why?  Just drop it on!

#56 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

Why?  Just drop it on!

Dunno, guess I've always powdered it to ensure it dissipates?

#57 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53860 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Dunno, guess I've always powdered it to ensure it dissipates?

Nope. Drop it in. Better yet, make a game of it and see if you can hit the kettle with it from across the garage. ;)

#58 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

Nope. Drop it in. Better yet, make a game of it and see if you can hit the kettle with it from across the garage. ;)

LOL... I do that every time.

#59 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53860 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

LOL... I do that every time.

Drez shoots... KER-PLOP!... and he scores!! :D

#60 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:20 AM

Gentlemen, let's please compose ourselves. Clarity is not to be joked about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users