96 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

I'm not sure if I have this in the recipe section already but I wanted to get this here because I just killed the keg of this last night and it was stellar. It's close to Jamil's recipe.

Vienna Lager

4.50 lbs Avangard Vienna
3.00 lbs Munich 2
2.50 lbs Pilsner Malt
2.5 ounces Carafa Special 3
23 IBUs of Magnum for 30 minutes
1 ounce Hallertau Mittelfruh for 10 minutes
Omega Bayern Lager yeast

OG: 1.056, FG: 1.012, IBU: 28, SRM: 13, ABV: 5.4%

Since the pils was such a low percentage of the grist I used Rahr Premium Pils instead of one of the other pilsner malts I had. I mashed at 150° and my water heavily favored chloride. The balance on this beer was really nice and I'm sorry to see it go. A pic...

viennalager2017b.jpg

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

You did this to tempt me.... I know you did!

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

You did this to tempt me.... I know you did!

Yes. Yes I did. But here's the thing... now you don't have to ask me for the recipe. :P

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

I just might do this. Can you tell me with any greater detail what "heavily favored chloride" looks like?

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

I added ½ gram of gypsum and 2.3g of chloride. Final water numbers were: Ca 60, Mg 12, Na 13, Cl 60, SO4 37. I made a note that next time I should add more sulfate because the beer might be too malty but that wasn't really the case. The entire time I was drinking it the balance was really good. My FIL said it was one of the best beers of mine he's had.

Also, I was at this place over the weekend (The Tap in Bloomington, IN) and they have a lot of beers and also make their own. One was a Vienna which I tried. It was quite a bit more pale than mine which surprised me but it was malty and delicious. So I'm on a bit of a Vienna kick right now which is too bad since mine is gone! :D

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

I added ½ gram of gypsum and 2.3g of chloride. Final water numbers were: Ca 60, Mg 12, Na 13, Cl 60, SO4 37. I made a note that next time I should add more sulfate because the beer might be too malty but that wasn't really the case. The entire time I was drinking it the balance was really good. My FIL said it was one of the best beers of mine he's had.

Also, I was at this place over the weekend (The Tap in Bloomington, IN) and they have a lot of beers and also make their own. One was a Vienna which I tried. It was quite a bit more pale than mine which surprised me but it was malty and delicious. So I'm on a bit of a Vienna kick right now which is too bad since mine is gone! :D

I really need to get back to Bloomington. It's been too long. 

Thanks for the water profile and recipe!

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

The other thing I dig about this style is that it's still pretty off-the-map in the US. The versions you find in Mexico (Dos Equis Amber, Negra Modelo) are probably not authentic although I don't mind them. If you do happen to see a Vienna at a craft beer place in the US, they're often loaded with crystal, are overhopped or complex for no apparent reason. Here, you have a nice recipe (hats off to Jamil) that is probably very close to authentic, very simple and straightforward and something that produces a delicious beer. I would suggest the Omega yeast but I've made this beer with 2124 and 2308 and it was very good.

Bloomington was really fun this weekend. We took some pics of the sunset over Lake Monroe, hit The Tap for dinner, went to Kilroys and Nicks, watched the football game (it was HOT!)... fun times.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

Yes. Yes I did. But here's the thing... now you don't have to ask me for the recipe. :P

I almost asked you earlier so you did save me that step and neddles did the work on water... So as long as I have dark Munich I am good to go!

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

I almost asked you earlier so you did save me that step and neddles did the work on water... So as long as I have dark Munich I am good to go!

If you make it, they will drink it. Or you will drink it. Just make it. :P

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

My version is very similar and based off Jamil with minor tweaking. It's just that good. It's my next batch in the coming weeks, once I can get space.

Just began the temperature drop on my split batch; Budvar Gold and Golden Saison.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

My version is very similar and based off Jamil with minor tweaking. It's just that good. It's my next batch in the coming weeks, once I can get space.

Just began the temperature drop on my split batch; Budvar Gold and Golden Saison.

QFT.

I have long said that a decent gold lager and a decent dark lager and I'm a very happy guy. Sure I love my pale ales, ESBs, etc. but not like I love a well-made lager.

#12 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

Amen, brother.  Amen.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

Bayern Lager and 5# of Best Vienna incoming.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!!! You're gonna just love this beer! I have a sack of the Bayern'z heading in my direction too :)

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 10 October 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

On one hand, this beer is fantastic and it could be made with 2308 or 2124 without issue. Great recipe, great resulting beer and a beer that is right in my wheelhouse style-wise. Enter the Bayern yeast and it makes the beer that much better. I now have a Munich Dunkel on tap with this yeast (recipe for the dunkel and Vienna are in the same zip code but different) and it's stellar too. For those who have not used the Bayern yeast (or for those whose last contact with it was Wyeast 2352), I'll be anxious to hear your comments. The yeast brings out a VERY German character (IMO) but it also just seems like a great all-around yeast. I made a lot of different lager styles with it (7 batches!) and they all shined. Gentlemen... get your equipment ready! :D

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

I have 3 mason jars of bayern sitting in my fridge after kegging last night... time to start measure out some Vienna!

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

Vienna Lager pron coming to a "Post a Picture of Your Pint" near you :)

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

:cabbagepatch:

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

I've been trying to find a way to draw a more noticeable line between my Vienna and Dunkel. The hop schedule and the yeast are often the same. The grist is different but similar. I could make them with different yeast strains which would separate them more and I think that the Vienna comes out slightly more pale than the dunkel. The pic at the top of this page seems on the pale side compared to some attempts in the past. I feel like proper pH control has made a lot of my beers lighter in color. I think I might make the Vienna slightly more hoppy where the last addition (at 10 minutes) is a little more robust... maybe 1.5 ounces instead of 1 or something.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:20 AM

I've made a Marzen and now a gold lager with this S-189 and I have no other plans for it. I think I'll make one more Vienna Lager before I switch over to ales for awhile. Problem is... I'm out of Vienna malt. <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users