Photo
- - - - -

What is your favorite all around English yeast strain?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

Where is :P anyway? Haven't seen him in a while. I guess the pro-brewing must be encroaching on his posting time.

He warned us ahead of time that was likely to be the case. Hope things are going well for him.ETA: I just checked his profile and he visited us last night US time. So he's still around.

#22 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14730 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

I really like 1968. I've used WLP007 quite a bit as well. I liked WLP023 the one time I used it.I also REALLY liked WLP006 Bedford British. I brewed a brown porter, bitter, and Irish Red with it long ago. They were all spectacular.

#23 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

So I'm thinking I like the sounds of 1968 but the d-rest thing has me a little concerned. Even better to me is the 1026 cask ale - when is this available? How does one get ahold of it? It sounds very nice.

#24 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

So I'm thinking I like the sounds of 1968 but the d-rest thing has me a little concerned. Even better to me is the 1026 cask ale - when is this available? How does one get ahold of it? It sounds very nice.

Zym,The Wyeast 1026 was a VSS strain that Wyeast put out last year. I think it was July-Sept 2008 release. I brewed many beers with it along with the JPA and it was a great yeast that attenuated well and flocced out great. I actually bought two packs of it last year and only opened/used one pack. The other is in my fridge and I just checked mfg day of 9/30/08. Hmm have a stir plate can it be revived and used? I don't know if it will be back soon but I wish it was or was a year round. It is a great yeast.

#25 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:19 PM

Zym,The Wyeast 1026 was a VSS strain that Wyeast put out last year. I think it was July-Sept 2008 release. I brewed many beers with it along with the JPA and it was a great yeast that attenuated well and flocced out great. I actually bought two packs of it last year and only opened/used one pack. The other is in my fridge and I just checked mfg day of 9/30/08. Hmm have a stir plate can it be revived and used? I don't know if it will be back soon but I wish it was or was a year round. It is a great yeast.

I'd give it a shot if I was you. Even if you won't use it right now just make a starter to keep it kicking...

#26 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14730 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:42 AM

Where is :) anyway? Haven't seen him in a while. I guess the pro-brewing must be encroaching on his posting time.

He's been posting a bit over at the "green" place

#27 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

He's been posting a bit over at the "green" place

DUN DUN DDDDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNN

#28 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

DUN DUN DDDDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNN

I think you mean...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw

#29 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

:cheers:

#30 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:34 AM

He warned us ahead of time that was likely to be the case. Hope things are going well for him.ETA: I just checked his profile and he visited us last night US time. So he's still around.

Yeah, I'm still around, but I don't post much anywhere these days. You guys seem to be taking care of yourselves just fine. :smilielol: Anyway, things are going very well at the brewery -- brewing three to four times most weeks, different beers almost every time, two different brew systems (250-liter and 1000-liter) -- life is good.And back on topic, Wyeast 1026 is a fantastic British yeast. If you can get it, try it -- you won't be disappointed. :cheers:

#31 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:23 AM

A few months back I posted about choosing a 'house' strain to see everyone's opinion. I really wanted an English strain because I didn't think the American strains were right for the big malty browns and porters I'm brewing (too attenuative and I don't like the light fruit character next to pure malt flavor unless there are citrus hops to go with it). I went ahead and brewed with all the classic english strains and then more. My favorite 'all around' was 1098. It has one of the cleanest profiles and works great on English and American styles. I can easily control the range of 68-75% attenuation with mash temperature. Some strains, like 1056, seem to give me 75-80+ no matter how hot I mash. On the other side 1968 leaves many beers too sweet.The only downfall to 1098 is that it does not seem to go above 75%, even with mash temps below 148F. It's not ideal for some styles like IIPA that need huge attenuation. It's also 'too' clean for small english beers like ordinary bitter, where 1968 would be perfect. Regardless, it might be my favorite strain.

#32 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14730 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:28 AM

A few months back I posted about choosing a 'house' strain to see everyone's opinion. I really wanted an English strain because I didn't think the American strains were right for the big malty browns and porters I'm brewing (too attenuative and I don't like the light fruit character next to pure malt flavor unless there are citrus hops to go with it). I went ahead and brewed with all the classic english strains and then more. My favorite 'all around' was 1098. It has one of the cleanest profiles and works great on English and American styles. I can easily control the range of 68-75% attenuation with mash temperature. Some strains, like 1056, seem to give me 75-80+ no matter how hot I mash. On the other side 1968 leaves many beers too sweet.The only downfall to 1098 is that it does not seem to go above 75%, even with mash temps below 148F. It's not ideal for some styles like IIPA that need huge attenuation. It's also 'too' clean for small english beers like ordinary bitter, where 1968 would be perfect. Regardless, it might be my favorite strain.

Isn't 1098 supposed to be a rough equivalent to WLP007 Dry English?Have you tried the 007, or are you tied to Wyeast? I know you liked that strain as a homebrewer. It's supposed to taste like 002/1968, yet it will hit 80%

#33 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8895 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

I just tapped a few beers made with WLP022 Essex Ale. Great flavor in all of them- a malty pale ale based on MLPA, a hoppy red ale with lots of Columbus, and a Centennial/Simcoe/Columbus IPA. The yeast works well with all three. Next will be a stout, and probably a couple more pale ales. This is the Jan-Feb platimun strain, so look for it in a couple of months.

#34 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:56 AM

Is there somewhere that wyeast posts what the upcoming yeasts will be?

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:04 AM

It looks like this site gets updated with whatever the current VSS strains are. Currently (Oct-Dec), 2247 Euro Lager, 2487 Hella Bock and 2782 Staro Prague Lager yeast. You could check back as the strains change.The White Labs version is here and it looks like they mix the regulars and the platinums together and highlight the platinums.I would love to try some of these off-the-map lager strains. Maybe I should order some of that 2247 and Staro Prague lager yeast for some experiments.

#36 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:56 PM

It looks like this site gets updated with whatever the current VSS strains are. Currently (Oct-Dec), 2247 Euro Lager, 2487 Hella Bock and 2782 Staro Prague Lager yeast. You could check back as the strains change.The White Labs version is here and it looks like they mix the regulars and the platinums together and highlight the platinums.I would love to try some of these off-the-map lager strains. Maybe I should order some of that 2247 and Staro Prague lager yeast for some experiments.

Just another idea is that if you are a BYO subscriber Wyeast always runs ads about their current VSS strains. When I got the Oct edition in Sept it gave the three VSS strains for Oct-Dec so it gives a bit of heads up too. I gotta hit up the current ones though and brew a few. :)

#37 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

Lately I've been liking 1028 a lot, which I think is the same as WLP007. I also like 1968/WLP002 for that classic Fuller's flavor. And I agree with Ken that WLP023 is very nice.

Since I've got an old ale coming up and 1028 is recommended for that I think I'll give it a try. What else is this strain good for? Can I use it for various bitters?

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

Yes, bitters, general English pale ales, Northern Browns, etc. There are a bunch of recipes in BEER CAPTURED that call for 1028 (IIRC) and I can PM you some of those if you wish. Cheers.

#39 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

Yes, bitters, general English pale ales, Northern Browns, etc. There are a bunch of recipes in BEER CAPTURED that call for 1028 (IIRC) and I can PM you some of those if you wish. Cheers.

Thanks Ken. I'll make sure to hit you up in the future.

#40 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25359 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:45 AM

I really like WLP013, London Ale. Also looking forward to trying Bedford.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users