Photo
- - - - -

What is your favorite all around English yeast strain?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25603 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:37 AM

I love Wyeast 1318 London Ale III. This makes for a very nice English style ale. Based on the description, White Labs WLP038 Manchester Ale is a substitute. [I have seen posts on other forums that do not agree.]White Labs Platinum Strain WLP039 (seasonal) was very nice too.FWIW ..... I DO NOT LIKE White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale. [Wyeast equiv is reported to be 1275] It gave the beer a dry, dusty kind of taste. I will always use something else.The WLP002 & WLP007, are sold good old reliables. I do not recall ever hearing anything bad about them. Pick the most appropriate of the two and you should be a happy brewer.zymot

#42 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

Since I've got an old ale coming up and 1028 is recommended for that I think I'll give it a try. What else is this strain good for? Can I use it for various bitters?

I agree with Ken's response. Most British strains are somewhat interchangeable. By that I don't mean that they're all identical but they will all work in pretty much the same range of beer styles: bitters, pale ales, IPAs, browns, milds, old ales, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users