Photo
- - - - -

What is your favorite all around English yeast strain?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:54 AM

I don't have a go to English yeast strain so I thought I would throw this out there. I noticed Ken using 1099 in one of his recipes and it got me thinking that I should have something on hand so that I don't always have to use S-04. I like bitters, pale ales, etc. so pretty regular English stuff is what I'd be making. Thoughts?

#2 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

I like wlp oo2 which I believe is wy1968, I have never had the attenuation problems with it that some do.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

I don't have a go to English yeast strain so I thought I would throw this out there. I noticed Ken using 1099 in one of his recipes and it got me thinking that I should have something on hand so that I don't always have to use S-04. I like bitters, pale ales, etc. so pretty regular English stuff is what I'd be making. Thoughts?

I belive that S-04 is the dry version of 1099 (whitbread)I like WLP002 and Wyeast 1968 for my English yeast needs. But I always have some S-04 on hand just incase.

#4 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

My favorite it White Labs Burton on Trent. I don't know the corresponding Wyeast strain. I haven't used another english strain in a while, so it is hard for me to compare, but I used several others years ago, never happy with the results. The others are a bit tart, where Burton has pleasant pear notes -- but the fruity esters are not overpowering. mike

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

I think the Burton strain is WLP023 and it IS a great yeast. Zym, I would say that 1028, 1099 and 1968 are some of my favorites. All of these strains seem to be very high-floccing and I translate high-floccing to low-attenuating so you always want to rouse these yeasts a little or even raise the temp at or near the end of primary to make sure they finish. If you wanted a "GO TO", all-around English yeast, I'd say 1028 London is the one. Cheers.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:13 AM

Lately I've been liking 1028 a lot, which I think is the same as WLP007. I also like 1968/WLP002 for that classic Fuller's flavor. And I agree with Ken that WLP023 is very nice.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

Lately I've been liking 1028 a lot, which I think is the same as WLP007. I also like 1968/WLP002 for that classic Fuller's flavor. And I agree with Ken that WLP023 is very nice.

All these yeasts sound great - tough decisions! :P

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

All these yeasts sound great - tough decisions! :P

All of these are so good that you really can't go wrong with any of them. I would suggest you look at the descriptions of 1968, 1028, 1726, 1099, 1098, 1318 and whatever else you see... there are A LOT of English strains... and see which one sounds good. Maybe pick up 2 of them and try them both in similar bitter/EPA recipes and see which one you prefer. It seems to me that 1028 is kind of like their 1056... maybe a lazy comparison but that's how it seems. Cheers.

#9 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:08 PM

I usually go for 002, but I think I will be able to get some 1026-cask ale yeast. I have heard great things about it, and I at leat want to make a batch of JPA as God and the ninja(s) intended it.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

I usually go for 002, but I think I will be able to get some 1026-cask ale yeast. I have heard great things about it, and I at leat want to make a batch of JPA as God and the ninja(s) intended it.

is this the yeast of the gods? intended for all things british?

#11 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

I don't think 1028 is the same as 007, it seems more like 1098...that said, WL007 is my favorite all 'round yeast.

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

is this the yeast of the gods? intended for all things british?

I think it's the yeast of the samurai.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:37 PM

BAD ASS!!

#14 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8253 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

WLP 026 premium bitter strain is my favorite, though it can be a pain to get a hold of since it's a platinum release. Do yourself a favor and stock up when this one comes around. SB

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:23 PM

I'll also mention that the Burton strain (WLP023?) has some wild behvavior. I know I've mentioned this before, but even when primary is complete, a huge, pillowy mass of bubbles sits on top of your fermented beer when you use this yeast. Great yeast, weird behavior. I haven't used the 1026 but I have heard great things about it. The next time I get the chance to pick it up, I'll make an EPA with it to see how it is. Cheers.

#16 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

1028 for the liquid and of course the s-04 for that "fresh fruit flavor"

#17 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

1028 for the liquid and of course the s-04 for that "fresh fruit flavor"

s-04 def has a fresh fruit flavor...just tried on of my pumpkin ales with that...supplements for some of the pumpkin flavor

#18 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

s-04 def has a fresh fruit flavor...just tried on of my pumpkin ales with that...supplements for some of the pumpkin flavor

I just finished a kegging a dry stout and I forgot how fruity that yeast actually is. :P

#19 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

WLP 026 premium bitter strain is my favorite, though it can be a pain to get a hold of since it's a platinum release. Do yourself a favor and stock up when this one comes around. SB

Can't wait to try that one. Not too much longer (January) until the WLP022 Essex Ale (my favorite) platinum strain is available. For year-round availability I'd have to go with WLP007. I know it's not for everyone but it's my favorite. I tend to like them dry.

#20 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:41 AM

Where is :P anyway? Haven't seen him in a while. I guess the pro-brewing must be encroaching on his posting time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users