55 replies to this topic

#21 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

Sounds good, I'll add you 2 on. Even if you've got the book I'll add you to the PM just so you know where the group is starting with their recipe. The PM will be for recipe purposes only and all process discussion will be in the public process thread.Start dates are far from obligatory. I'm starting on 10/31. Everybody else can fire when ready!

I recieved your pm, why are you changing the yeast?

#22 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:03 AM

I recieved your pm, why are you changing the yeast?

Just my preference I prefer 71B to D47 in most of my meads. Though in the case of cysers I feel it's an even better fit as it lends/helps retain some of the fresh fruit flavors and it is capable of metabolizing malic acid well which helps soften the overall flavor. Apple juice has a fair amount of malic in it from the beginning so this is another benefit to me of using 71B.Don't get me wrong D47 is a great yeast and a fermenting machine. It definitely attenuates better than 71B. IMO D47 is great for making a less interesting must more interesting. Exactly why it's used a lot in Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, and some Reisling. It will lend some complexity, mouthfeel, and even a little peppery spice sometimes.

#23 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

Just my preference I prefer 71B to D47 in most of my meads. Though in the case of cysers I feel it's an even better fit as it lends/helps retain some of the fresh fruit flavors and it is capable of metabolizing malic acid well which helps soften the overall flavor. Apple juice has a fair amount of malic in it from the beginning so this is another benefit to me of using 71B.Don't get me wrong D47 is a great yeast and a fermenting machine. It definitely attenuates better than 71B. IMO D47 is great for making a less interesting must more interesting. Exactly why it's used a lot in Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, and some Reisling. It will lend some complexity, mouthfeel, and even a little peppery spice sometimes.

Interesting, I will try 71B this time and if i can leave at least a couple bottles from last year untouched, i will do a side by side this time next year. thanks.

#24 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

Just my preference I prefer 71B to D47 in most of my meads. Though in the case of cysers I feel it's an even better fit as it lends/helps retain some of the fresh fruit flavors and it is capable of metabolizing malic acid well which helps soften the overall flavor. Apple juice has a fair amount of malic in it from the beginning so this is another benefit to me of using 71B.

I use 71B for all of my meads and cysers, pretty much for exactly these reasons.

#25 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:28 PM

If it was UV treated, why is it trying to ferment? :sarcasm:

apparently it's pretty minimal

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

I seem to recall Schramm saying you can wild ferment the must with acceptable results.

well I can probably add honey in stages, hmmm

#27 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:32 PM

I don't do the spice addition either.

I left them out also, and this was an awesome drink , I bottled mine after back sweetening with apple concentrate

#28 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25475 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

I am planning on:Keep the dates and rasins per the original recipeOmit the brown sugarBump up the honey 1-2 lbs (I like the honey I got)No spices and in the secondaryCider will be from my homemade crusher and cider press.Apple mix will be:30-40% red & golden delicious~10% granny smith~10% fuji~40% what ever varieties the stores have that dayGoing with 71B yeastzymot

#29 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:07 AM

two questions here: will you be making a starter and what will you use for it and how big of a starter?after you have crushed and pressed your apples how long is the juice good for refridgerated before you have to use it, i have two bushels of rome's with some starting to turn on me.

#30 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

two questions here: will you be making a starter and what will you use for it and how big of a starter?after you have crushed and pressed your apples how long is the juice good for refridgerated before you have to use it, i have two bushels of rome's with some starting to turn on me.

For cysers I don't make a starter but I do rehydrate with go-ferm. IMO the effort involved in making a starter vs just buying one more packet of yeast isn't worth it. Buy an extra packet, rehydrate them properly, and I've never had an issue with a 5 gallon batch of mead.I haven't dealt much with fresh cider so I'll leave that one to the pros.

#31 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

For cysers I don't make a starter but I do rehydrate with go-ferm. IMO the effort involved in making a starter vs just buying one more packet of yeast isn't worth it. Buy an extra packet, rehydrate them properly, and I've never had an issue with a 5 gallon batch of mead.

+1, though I don't even use go-ferm. Just warm water.

#32 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:34 AM

can anybody help me on my second question?

#33 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

can anybody help me on my second question?

I'm going to guess a week, maybe two. That's based on other people's experiences with how long purchased cider has lasted in the fridge before it's started going bubbly.

#34 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:48 AM

I'm going to guess a week, maybe two. That's based on other people's experiences with how long purchased cider has lasted in the fridge before it's started going bubbly.

thanks for the answer, not knowing when i can start my cyser i'll just accept the loss of a few more apples, and make up for it with store bought.

#35 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:03 AM

well i made a pork loin with a jalepeno/peach glaze last night and figured it was time to open a 22oz'r of 2008 fall bounty cyser, the date flavor really stands out, and it's very mellow. went ahead and picked up the ingrediants for this project and have two 71B on hand, will crush and press after we get back from camping the 24th.

#36 BeesNBrews

BeesNBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Ohio

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

i would suggest crushing, pressing then freezing the cider until you are ready to start.

#37 BeesNBrews

BeesNBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Ohio

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

I'm headed out to my favorite cider orchard tomorrow. I usually do 3 gl of a basic cyser, but I would like to give this one a try. Count me in.

#38 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:26 AM

I'm headed out to my favorite cider orchard tomorrow. I usually do 3 gl of a basic cyser, but I would like to give this one a try. Count me in.

Added you to the recipe PM. welcome aboard!

#39 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5387 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

Dropped in looking for cider recipes since I was able to make a major haul (4 corneys full!!!) of un pasturized cider from a local orchard where I was working today, so aside from the fact I have unpasturized that I helped press today I think I would like to join in the fun.pm me the recipe and what not and if I understand correctly this kicks off next weekend correct?

#40 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:04 AM

Dropped in looking for cider recipes since I was able to make a major haul (4 corneys full!!!) of un pasturized cider from a local orchard where I was working today, so aside from the fact I have unpasturized that I helped press today I think I would like to join in the fun.pm me the recipe and what not and if I understand correctly this kicks off next weekend correct?

Sweet score! Just added you to the recipe PM. Personally i'll be making my batch on Halloween morning (the 31st) while I wait for the TV install guy and my washer and dryer to show up. Since you've got unpasteurized you could probably stretch it to make it on Saturday if you can keep it cool but you also might want to get that going sooner or it might take off without you. Welcome aboard!So our group is now:StrangebrewerScottSWengaredidajackzymotboulderbrewGuestrealbeerguyBeesNBrewsEverybody on pace here? As mentioned I'm going to be getting my batch rolling on this saturday. Who else is in for Saturday?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users