#1 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:22 AM

Its that time of the year when apple cider is showing up in stores and just as importantly going on sale for less than $8 a gallon :unsure: .This is another Ken Schramm recipe that has become an annual favorite in my house. IMO it gets good around 6 months (Though you could probably start to drink it around 3-4 months) and if you're willing to wait until this time next year it's downright dangerous. I'm planning to get this batch going by the end of this month. Is there any interest in a group brew? Let me know who is interested and if it's more than just me I'll start a group brew thread.Also I checked in with Ken Schramm about posting his recipes and he requested that I not post it in a public forum. Thanks to the new PM system with the board upgrade though it's easy to share with everybody in the private manner Ken asked that we do. Though if you don't have it Ken Schramm's book The complete Meadmaker is a GREAT book and a tremendous reference for a mead maker of any level of experience.

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

You have been reading my mind! I have been looking at my 2005 FBC reserves with only 3 bottles left!

2005 holy crap! I kicked my 2007 8 months ago and have been waiting for cider to go on sale ever since. It's been a long 8 months I tell ya. I also kegged mine. That may have been partially responsible for it's expedited consumption as well as more than one night I dont remember so well.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

$8 a gallon for cider? I guess I have it really good. I guess I haven't looked around here recently but it's usually like $4 at the most. We do have a lot of apple orchards though I guess.

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:12 PM

$8 a gallon for cider? I guess I have it really good. I guess I haven't looked around here recently but it's usually like $4 at the most. We do have a lot of apple orchards though I guess.

You also live in prime apple growing country. Can't say so much for this part of the country. If I can find pasteurized cider (not apple juice) for under $5 it's a steal. Normally it's closer to $8 and if you try and find unpasteurized you had better get ready for a shock to the tune of about $20 a gallon.

#5 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

strange, you waiting until you move to the new house?

Yup. 15 carboys full of wine is enough. The thought of adding another 5-6 gallon container of anything makes my back hurt. Speaking of which you own a truck don't you :unsure:

#6 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

I'll be making some if I can get decent cider for a decent price. Not sure on the timing of it though.

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:56 PM

2005 holy crap! I kicked my 2007 8 months ago and have been waiting for cider to go on sale ever since. It's been a long 8 months I tell ya. I also kegged mine. That may have been partially responsible for it's expedited consumption as well as more than one night I dont remember so well.

I just got 4 gallons this weekend at the orchard for $7 a gallon.I still have 7 bottles of the '07 left.

#8 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14395 posts
  • LocationWinter...

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

I have all 5 gallons of my 2007 batch left. I was trying to let it age a year before bottling. Well I did that. And then I decided to backsweeten a bit. Well that was not quite a year ago...Maybe I should bottle it.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

Strange and I got our cider from a farmer's market chainstore for $4.77/gal on sale from $7.99/gal. Organic and unfiltered.

mine is already trying to ferment, dammit, looks like cider instead of cyser for me :unsure:mine is only UV treated

#10 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:21 AM

I have all 5 gallons of my 2007 batch left. I was trying to let it age a year before bottling. Well I did that. And then I decided to backsweeten a bit. Well that was not quite a year ago...Maybe I should bottle it.

If its been sitting since 2007 then it's probably ruined. Please mail it to me for proper disposal...

mine is already trying to ferment, dammit, looks like cider instead of cyser for me <_<mine is only UV treated

I actually had some UV treated cider from last year start to ferment as well. It took a while but I guess the UV pasteurization is not as thorough as the heating method. I just bumped up my cyser making plans to the nearer weekend and everything went well. The strain of wine yeast introduced outperformed the one present and then I'm sure burried it as it worked it's way to 12% ABV.

#11 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:23 AM

Link to 2005 Greenboard thread. This is the way I think all group brews should be run. (also includes the recipe)Link to 2007 Greenboard thread. This had a few changes to the original recipe that I would like to do (e.g. more honey).

I should be getting some raw cider soon, & have 12# of honey left, so I'm in. +1 on the detailed logs.

#12 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25471 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

I am definitely making a cyser this year. I have 12 lbs of sage blossom honey and my apple grinder and cider press are ready to go.I am leaning towards honey and cider only. Maybe someone can convince me to add the brown sugar, dates and raisins the Schramm recipe calls for.zymot

#13 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

Maybe someone can convince me to add the brown sugar, dates and raisins the Schramm recipe calls for.

This recipe, sweetened rather than left dry, is the best mead I've ever had in my life.Though Schramm says that this recipe isn't so much a recipe as just what he happened to have in his house the year he wrote the book. He just throws whatever he's got handy in when he's making cyser. In other words, I don't think you can really screw it up too badly. <_<

#14 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:49 AM

This recipe, sweetened rather than left dry, is the best mead I've ever had in my life.Though Schramm says that this recipe isn't so much a recipe as just what he happened to have in his house the year he wrote the book. He just throws whatever he's got handy in when he's making cyser. In other words, I don't think you can really screw it up too badly. <_<

+1I'll be making this one exactly the way I did in the past. I can't see changing it a bit. Brown sugar, raisins, dates, and all. I do bump up the honey addition a little and I leave out the final spice additions. Though I'm just not a big fan of those particular spices. It really is a great recipe.

#15 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:02 AM

I do bump up the honey addition a little and I leave out the final spice additions. Though I'm just not a big fan of those particular spices.

I don't do the spice addition either.

#16 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

I seem to recall Schramm saying you can wild ferment the must with acceptable results.

Correct. He says it's a riskier proposition than using a commercial strain but he also states that he liked the end result of the wild ferment more than the result of using a commercial strain.

#17 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:47 AM

Sounds like we have the interest so here's how I'm thinking we roll. I'll fire off a PM with the recipe to those interested as to respect Ken's wishes. Then I'll start a process and updates thread everybody can post in as they get underway. So far for participants I have:MeGuestScottSrealbeerguyand I've got Zymot and miccullen as Maybe's. Let me know you two if you want in or not. I don't want to spam anybody's inbox if you're not interested.If anybody else is interested reply in this thread. Right now I'm planning for the last day of October the 31'st to get this started. Between now and then I'm closing on my first house and moving. Little stuff ya know :)

#18 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:39 AM

as i've only got 6 22oz. bottles left from 2008, i will make some more,not sure if i can start by 10/31, i already have Shramms book, and my notes from last time.

#19 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25471 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:19 AM

Sounds like we have the interest so here's how I'm thinking we roll. I'll fire off a PM with the recipe to those interested as to respect Ken's wishes. Then I'll start a process and updates thread everybody can post in as they get underway. So far for participants I have:MeGuestScottSrealbeerguyand I've got Zymot and miccullen as Maybe's. Let me know you two if you want in or not. I don't want to spam anybody's inbox if you're not interested.If anybody else is interested reply in this thread. Right now I'm planning for the last day of October the 31'st to get this started. Between now and then I'm closing on my first house and moving. Little stuff ya know :)

Count me in as a participant. Still uncommitted about adding the brown sugar and dates. I guess if I am going to participate, I should add something in the spirit of the Fall's Bounty recipe.No need to send me the recipe, I bought the book, also respecting Ken's wishes.zymot

#20 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

Sounds good, I'll add you 2 on. Even if you've got the book I'll add you to the PM just so you know where the group is starting with their recipe. The PM will be for recipe purposes only and all process discussion will be in the public process thread.Start dates are far from obligatory. I'm starting on 10/31. Everybody else can fire when ready!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users