#441 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

I'm still scared to retry brewtanb. I had a few bad/weird batches about a year ago when I started using it. But I'm not 100% sure it was the brewtanb. I've changed some other things and my beers are coming out great. When I get a stock pile of beer going later this fall I will give it a try again on a 5gal batch.

You are the only person I've heard of who had problems after using Brewtan B.  Based on that, I'd guess Brewtan was not the cause of the problems.

#442 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

You are the only person I've heard of who had problems after using Brewtan B.  Based on that, I'd guess Brewtan was not the cause of the problems.

right - I've heard of people preferring not using it but never downright saying it caused something to go wrong.

#443 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

right - I've heard of people preferring not using it but never downright saying it caused something to go wrong.

I remember some greenish-looking wort. What was that all about?

#444 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

IIRC it was mash water, not wort wasn't it?

#445 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

Probably not. I will give it a go again at some point.

#446 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

IIRC it was mash water, not wort wasn't it?

that was me!  and yes, the strike and sparge water turns a scary greenish gray color for me.  this happens every time.  it does not translate to any issues in the final product taste or looks wise.  a chemical engineering friend of mine explained the color aspect to me.  the brewtan was pulling some stuff out of solution and into suspension.  then physics happened and bam, the water has a color to it.

Edited by pickle_rick, 10 September 2017 - 11:54 AM.

#447 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:11 AM

Apparently this 'brewtan b' has some into the homebrewer consciousness since I last brewed.  A skim of the Wyeast info on it say it is:

It is highly effective at coagulating and flocculating proline and –thiol –containing proteins, but does not interact with foam-positive proteins. This in turn inhibits downstream lipid and protein oxidation, improving flavor stability and shelf life..

I assume that means it's taking out the proteins most commonly involved in staling reactions, but that presumably have no other benefit in the beer.  Is that right?

Also, is this really only useful for long term storage?  If you drink all of your beer within 2 months does this even come into play if you have reasonably good handling practices?

#448 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:13 AM

It's possible that the news just hasn't been promulgated to sales yet.

Yeah, tell a sales guy he can repackage $0.25 of product and sell it for $7.95, he's going to be on it quick.

#449 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

Apparently this 'brewtan b' has some into the homebrewer consciousness since I last brewed.  A skim of the Wyeast info on it say it is:

I assume that means it's taking out the proteins most commonly involved in staling reactions, but that presumably have no other benefit in the beer.  Is that right?

Also, is this really only useful for long term storage?  If you drink all of your beer within 2 months does this even come into play if you have reasonably good handling practices?

I have found short term benefits to be clearer beer and a more defined (?) flavor.

#450 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

OK, that's interesting.  Probably worth a shot just for the heck of it.

Now the big question...has there been a Brewtan B Brulosophy? A triple B, so to speak.  :)

#451 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

OK, that's interesting.  Probably worth a shot just for the heck of it.

Now the big question...has there been a Brewtan B Brulosophy? A triple B, so to speak.  :)

No, only EB.  You don't need those other guys!  ;)

#452 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

No, only EB.  You don't need those other guys!  ;)

:D

This one?

https://www.experime...-beer-character

#453 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:09 PM

Yep...kinda flawed but still good info.

#454 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

JKor, when I used it for the first time I noticed a pronounced smoothness and softness in my beers. Over time & since I started using it, I feel like that my beers have been really good with excellent clarity and really good head formation and stability... some of that may not have anything to do with BTB. At some point I questioned whether the BTB was really making a difference or not. It's possible that it wasn't but it's also possible that I just got used to how my beers were coming out. The first batch was a helles recipe that I make A LOT. I noticed immediately how much smoother and softer the beer tasted. I also happened to have family from out of town hanging around and I had that helles on tap 1 and there were beers that did not have BTB on taps 2, 3 and 4. What I heard was, "Ken, I like all of these beers but THIS ONE [tap 1] is really good!". Maybe it was because it was summer and the helles was light and refreshing. Or maybe it was the BTB. :D

#455 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1952 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:15 AM

You guys experiencing clearer beers with Brewtan-B, when do you notice the improved clarity? Only in the finished beer, or are you seeing clearer wort out of the kettle? I ask because the batches I've used it on have seemed cloudier out of the kettle and out of the primary. They do clear eventually but seem to take a long time. FWIW, I do not use kettle finings.

#456 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:42 AM

You guys experiencing clearer beers with Brewtan-B, when do you notice the improved clarity? Only in the finished beer, or are you seeing clearer wort out of the kettle? I ask because the batches I've used it on have seemed cloudier out of the kettle and out of the primary. They do clear eventually but seem to take a long time. FWIW, I do not use kettle finings.

I do use Whirfloc and I seem to notice the beer is clearer from the point of racking it out of primary although it could be clear earlier than that. For awhile now I have been racking a beer out of primary saying, Wow, that is some seriously clear beer for coming out of primary! But your experience of not using kettle finings is still your own experience and if you're seeing cloudier wort that tells you something, I suppose. I had a 'gold lager' that looked so clear recently that you would think I filtered it. No clue if that's the BTB or not.

#457 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

I found that when I got my pH and Whirlfloc additions dialed in my beer would clear pretty quickly.

#458 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:21 AM

I found that when I got my pH and Whirlfloc additions dialed in my beer would clear pretty quickly.

Agreed. If you add "time" to settle and a gel solution, you're getting very clear beer at that point.

#459 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

Agreed. If you add "time" to settle and a gel solution, you're getting very clear beer at that point.

Brewcraft USA is now officially shipping Brewtan B.  It's in their latest dealer newsletter.  If your LHBS does biz with them, they should be able to get it now.

#460 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

Brewcraft USA is now officially shipping Brewtan B.  It's in their latest dealer newsletter.  If your LHBS does biz with them, they should be able to get it now.

Nice!  Thanks for helping to get this easier to get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users